BC Boards

Doggy Door

Okay, so I am back again . I just love the feedback and advice you all give. :)

Anyway, yesterday my husband bought a doggy door to fit our patio door for Lilli (5.5 months) but she does not want to use it. We have sat beside it with her holding treats on either side of the door showing her to either use her nose or her paws periodically since yesterday but she doesn't seem to want to go through.

How long did it take for your dog to feel comfortable with using the door?

Not want you want to hear but never... We installed on our back porch so our late GSDx could come and go at her leisure but she did not like having the door coming down on her head/back. I am a much better trainer today so would probably be able to overcome the problem with lots of time and patience.

I would definitely try going out, while she stays inside alone, and then calling her through to you. Then once she goes out, reverse it and leave her outside and both come in to call her indoors to you.

That has worked with all my dogs - and we don't even have a doggy door! We just have a friend we often visit who does. :)

If she's still reluctant, make it sound REALLY fun. Make sure BOTH you and your hubby are on the opposite side of the door from her, so the "value" of going through the doggy door is very high. Not just treats and coaxing, but make it as if you're about to leave without her and the only way to come along is through the doggie door.

Best of luck!

~ Gloria

took my dogs under a 1/2 hour and a bag of shaved ham. the cat learned just by watching the dogs, as I didn't mean for her to be an outside cat. best laid plans....

It took Tucker a few days before he was really going in and out on his own. We started by holding it open most of the way, letting him get used to going in and out (with rewards after he did.) Gradually we started holding it open less, so that he had to push it just a bit to get in or out, and getting him used to feeling it come down on his back. Then we gradually lowered it more so that he was mostly pushing it and we were just holding it open a bit. When he pushed it, we'd say "push" and give him lots of encouragement. Finally, he got to the point where he was pushing it open all by himself. Then we went through sort of a funny stage where he would stand in front of the door, clearly wanting to go out, but waiting for us to say "push." We'd say "push" and he would go through. It was as if he was waiting for permission! :D After a few days, he just started going in and out without waiting to be told he could.

Leslie

When we hold the flap open She seems Ok I guess she doesn't like the flap on her head. Our cat figured it out straight away too. I think helping her through the flap at the start and rewarding is the way to go. Thanks guys.

One of my dogs had an issue with using the dog door without me opening the flap for him. This was a second dog door I had installed, identical to the first but in a different location. So i was confident he knew how to use it and after a few days of encouragement and holding the flap for him, I went outside with him, made a big show of mixing up his dinner then went inside, closing the door before he could follow me in. A few anquished seconds later, he came bursting through the door and had his dinner. From there on out, he didn't have a problem. :)