BC Boards

Newbie..need advice on training please!

Hi! I am new to the forum. I am Pamela and I have 2 dogs. One is an Aussie mix who is 2 1/2 years old. The other is a 3 yr old BC that I rescued a month ago. Her former owner didn't want her anymore :( . I am working on teaching her commands. She knows down, sit and stay. I am trying to teach her "left" currently and then "right." She is having a lot of trouble understanding commands. I don't remember my Aussie having this much trouble getting them. I have tried luring her with food into the left spin and clicker training. I show her over and over and then ask her to do it. She just sits and looks at me or noses me in the face. Any advice on how to train her?

She is motivated by food and affection, but doesn't even know what a toy is.

Thanks!! :)

Maybe you need to wait a while before you ask much more of her? You've only had her a month and if she doesn't know what toys are, she may have a lot of adjusting to do. What seems normal to you may be a whole 'nother planet to her. Perhaps for now just concentrate on your bond with her and letting her settle in. You can always return to trick training in a couple months or so.

Best of luck!

Gloria

I agree with Gloria. One month, she is just starting to settle. Take it slow, it is possible that, at this time, training puts a bit too much 'pressure' on her.

Looks like she may not now yet 'how to learn with you'.

Perhaps practice what she already knows with short sessions and reinforce a lot to improve her confidence and her bond with you? Then transition to learning new things at her own pace?

And see how it goes over the next few weeks-months? Hopefully one day the light bulb will go on!

I completely agree with the above. Ive had my young dog only two months and when i first got him, even a month in I was worried he'd never play with toys and he seemed pretty aloof to training in general. But now our bond is getting stronger and he will play with almost any toy and loves to be pet and massaged. Treats are still taking time as he's just not super food motivated YET. Im just able to start putting enough pressure on him to train a sit (still a work in progress...crazy i know... just a sit! but he's just not yet showing that BC enthusiasm when it comes to offering behaviors, though it HAS gotten a bit better) U'll be amazed at what a little love, patience, positivity and good old TIME can do!

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! :) I just wanted to make sure that was normal. She seems very intelligent (I know BCs are) and seems to want to work. I will work on what she already knows and just give it time.

^Thanks AerBear26. Glad to hear from someone who has a very similar experience! Skye (my BC) also loves to be petted. She wants to cuddle all the time...which I am ok with. Good luck on your training!