BC Boards

Car Fear

so Hobbs is working out with the pack. everyone seems to be adjusting to the red headed stranger. he is doing good with housetraining and is already crate trained.

the down side- he HATES the car. he didn't seem to mind getting in the car for the 5 hr. drive home or getting in for a meet and greet with some agility friends, but now he despises it.

since he is to be an agility dog, and we're starting obedience training next week, he needs if not to love , at least tolerate the car.

any suggestions. thanks, Lisa

Yep, I'd make sure that the riding isn't making him feel queasy, and if that's not the case, just go for short trips (starting with just hanging out in the car going nowhere, until he adjusts. A fully enclosed crates seems to help if motion sickness is an issue. Also I once tried to switch from plastic to wire crates, and my dogs who normally rode comfortably were clearly a bit more stressed by the openness of the wire crates. If he's really bad, you may need to put off the classes until you can get him more used to riding.

J.

Could it be that he now thinks a car ride could mean he is being rehomed again ?

I have to physically put Xena in the car as she don't get in the car that often, she fights getting in the car, but once inside and we are moving she is fine. Then when we get to where we are going she hops out ok, and gets back in the car again on her own when it's time to go back home. It's just that initial getting in the car that seems to be a problem.

I'd give him a couple weeks at home to decompress. Then take him out near the car and treat him or even feed him there, making sure he's not stressed. If that's going well, after a few days ask him to just get in the car, treat him and let him out and do something fun. Then very short trips, five minutes up and down the road. As long as he's not stressed move on to the next step.

My Georgia can be fearful of riding in the car and we took a similar path to get her comfortable again. It did take a while, but we had consistent progress. There are still circumstances in which she still becomes frightful, but if it's not absolutely necessary, I don't make her ride. Nowadays, she happily hops up into her crate and settles in, occasionally taking a look out the window.

Good luck!

there is no foaming or drooling, so I don't think it's motion sickness, if those are indeed the signs. perhaps fear of a new home. it seems to be fear of something as he doesn't want to take treats easily when in the car. I keep trying lots of treats and short trips. thanks.

^^What Georgia said, exactly.

Alex HATES riding in a car. I've never seen him appear sick (no drooling, no vomiting), so I think it's just the fear/noise/vibrations of it all. However, he does travel all over for agility, we even went to Georgia a couple of weeks ago (6 hour ride). Just to give you some hope that it won't impact your long term plans. :)

we've started playing the "in and out" game. we all get in the car-twitch, nova and I, and then ask hobbs to hop in. everyone gets great treats (pepperoni, hot dogs or chicken) and then I ask him to hop out. then in again and more treats. then out again and so on. the whole session is under 10 mins. does this sound like a plan??