BC Boards

Day 3...

Well, we're starting on Day 3 with Sport and the rest of the pack. It has not been an easy transition so far, but I think it will be okay. Right now, he's only really met Flint and unfortunately, there have been 3 fights ......no blood loss but lots of teeth, growling, and slobber. What I've found out so far, is that Sport doesn't read dog body language very well. Also, he came from a home with lots of JRT's - some got along - some were fighters so he wound up being separated alot. My DH really likes him and what little contact he's had with Cricket has been good.

So, here's the game plan that seems to work ..... take Sport for a good walk..into fenced yard, play ball with him for a good while..then DH let's Flint into yard and I have Flint's toy...the boys are happy retrieving their own toys so that works. They get to run and see each other without any squabbles. After a bit, I just stop playing with either of them..walk around the yard, call Flint, call Sport...make they 'down' and after a bit play again. Repeat.....

yesterday, Sport was tired and comfortable enough to roll around in the grass with Flint looking on...

On some good notes, Sport has a very nice temperament with people. He's affectionate and joyful. DH loves that he brings the ball right back :) He walks nicely on a leash which is better than the others!

He met the neigbhour's chipmuck crew (there are at least 8 of them!) and watched while they fed them peanuts without reacting at all! Not bad for a BC, I would say :)

He is quiet in his crate and I found a mini-angel food pan (similar to a muffin tin) to stop him from gobbling his food...

All in all, I'm hopeful that Sport will become a part of our pack and live with us a long, long time. If he does stay, I think he will be getting a new name...... he already looks like a SPARK to me :)

Something I did with Kipp and Kenzi when I brought Kenzi home was get a dish of kibble and have the two of them lay on either side of me. Then just sit there and reward them for calm behavior. It really made a huge difference for Kipp who had been a bit reactive to Kenzi's teenage behavior. It helped her to learn calm house behavior and let Kipp get aclimated to a calm dog rather than getting worked up over a spazy dog

Mara, that would be a good idea except that Sport eats like he's starving all the time so I can see this starting a fight...maybe once I've managed to convince him that he will always get fed, it would be okay. I'm feeding him all his food in a 'mini'angel food tray - looks like a 6 container muffin tin but with the 'spikes' in the middle...it slows him down quite a bit!

We've decided that Sport is a keeper. We're still working on integration into the pack but I'm seeing him relaxing more and I think it won't be long before Flint has the buddy he needs to run around with :)

We are also transitioning his name from Sport to Spark :)