BC Boards

What is your dog's most favorite toy ?

What is your dog's most favorite toy ?

Has your dog ever really liked a toy but got tired of it within a few weeks ?

Does your dog have any toys that they never seem to get bored with even after having had them for quite a while ?

I ask this so I can get an idea of possible new toys for our dog.

There are some toys like a Nylabone and a hard plastic Kong bone, that no longer holds her interest as before, and as much as she had loved to play frisbee, now she really has to be in the mood and even then it doesn't hold her interest for as long at a time as it originally did.

(maybe if I get another new frisbee, because even though it looked the same as the old one the last time I got a new frisbee she seemed to get a renewed interest, at least for a while :) )

She used to play with her Kong ball, but since I introduced a softer rubber dog ball she likes to play with that one.

The two toys that seems to still be really holding her interest even after having them for quite a while are her softer rubber ball and her hard rubber tug of war toy. Those toys she will very often pick up on her own and bring them to me to have play time with her when we are inside the house. (she is more distracted outside more often then not and can even ignore the ball when outside)

(when she was very young I tried giving her a tennis ball, but she was determined to chew all the fuzz off of it, so I had to remove the fuzz myself :) )

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine never get tired of the frisbee or tennis balls but they only get to play with them when they play with me so it's limited and therefore very exciting. They also love their Jolly Ball for outside interactive play. For play on their own, they love the empty black plastic pots that perennials and bushes come in for my garden. They will run around with those for hours! Indoors they like rope toys and empty plastic water bottles. They don't play or play with toys all the time, even though there are 4 of them. A lot of their time is spent hanging out at my feet waiting for me to do something interesting!

Like Olivia favorite toys in this house are the ones that interactive with humans, at the moment the list is topped by a very beat up soccer ball, then a ruff wear frisbee that has seen better days, and finally a home made soft beaver that I was going to throw out and was intercepted on the way to the rubbish bin. Water bottles are popular to, but that is proving to be a problem as he now helps himself to any available bottle full or empty... It's annoying to have your water stolen as a dog toy...

We have loads of toys from when he was Xenas age, I would buy inexpensive toys, anything that got my eye and rotate toys. We have a toy basket that he can help himself to, then a backup supply. Bringing back an old favorite is like getting a new toy.

The frisbee of course! I swear it is like crack to him. But he does like his new kicker chuck it ball. It is like a doggie soccer ball. It is kind of pricey for a dog toy in the store ($30), so I found it on ebay for $23.

Our previous dog Angel would amuse herself with empty 2 liter plastic bottles for long periods of time, but I needed to be careful to remove the caps to avoid her chewing them off and it being a choking hazard.

We tried empty 2 liter plastic bottles with Xena when she was younger, but she was such an agressive chewer that she would magage to flatten it enough so she would try to chew bits of plastic off that I thought would be too sharp to swallow so we had to stop that at least for now, perhaps if she gets to where she will be content to just carry it around and chase it like Angel did I could try to reintroduce it at a later time.

Empty plastic water bottles and milk jugs never get old here.

Xena only gets access to frisbees when I am having play time with her. I have heard about the "Jolly Ball" before and might consider trying that. Until Xena gets more past her agressive chewing phase I could not let her have plastic pots as she would try to chew chunks off of it (she is not as agressive in chewing as she used to be, but still too much of a chewer yet that I have to be careful what I let her have).

That reminded me she has a rope toy, but only gets it when we are playing with it with her as we have heard about some dogs trying to eat the rope if allowed to.

Mine never get tired of the frisbee or tennis balls but they only get to play with them when they play with me so it's limited and therefore very exciting. They also love their Jolly Ball for outside interactive play. For play on their own, they love the empty black plastic pots that perennials and bushes come in for my garden. They will run around with those for hours! Indoors they like rope toys and empty plastic water bottles. They don't play or play with toys all the time, even though there are 4 of them. A lot of their time is spent hanging out at my feet waiting for me to do something interesting!

What is a "bumper" ?

The five gallon bucket being dragged around must look funny :)

(is it plastic or metal ?)

Frisbees, rubber balls, bumpers and water bottles. Tex also likes dragging a five gallon bucket around.

Xena prefers interacting with us when playing with her toys also.

The soccer ball reminded me we also let Xena play with a basketball, she don't mess with it as much as when it was first introduced to her, but she will still occasionally wrestle with it, seems almost like she is taking out her frustrations on it the way she goes after it :)

She used to even try to balance some of her other toys on top of the basketball :)

(originally we tried a soccer ball, but she managed to put a hole in it, not sure if it was with her teeth or a sharp claw that needed clipped, but the basketball is ok as it is a lot tougher)

I'll probally have to see about putting some older toys aside and rotate them at a later date to see if she will have renewed interest in them.

Like Olivia favorite toys in this house are the ones that interactive with humans, at the moment the list is topped by a very beat up soccer ball, then a ruff wear frisbee that has seen better days, and finally a home made soft beaver that I was going to throw out and was intercepted on the way to the rubbish bin. Water bottles are popular to, but that is proving to be a problem as he now helps himself to any available bottle full or empty... It's annoying to have your water stolen as a dog toy...

We have loads of toys from when he was Xenas age, I would buy inexpensive toys, anything that got my eye and rotate toys. We have a toy basket that he can help himself to, then a backup supply. Bringing back an old favorite is like getting a new toy.

I've heard of the "chuck it" ball, but I don't think I remember seeing the "kicker" version, I'll have to do a search online to see what it looks like.

When Xena is interested in playing frisbee, she will go after it whether I throw it the normal way, or sometimes I will roll it on it's edge and she chase after it almost as if she's trying to herd it :)

(when throwing it the normal way I try to be careful to throw it so she does not have to jump up in the air because I have heard that dogs can injure themselves if they land the wrong way)

The frisbee of course! I swear it is like crack to him. But he does like his new kicker chuck it ball. It is like a doggie soccer ball. It is kind of pricey for a dog toy in the store ($30), so I found it on ebay for $23.

It looks neat, I didn't know whether dogs would have much reaction to the changing color, but from your experience I guess they do !

That reminded me of a ball that has a battery operated motor inside that would make the ball roll around on it's own in random directions. I tried using it with Xena when she was a lot younger but it seemed like it scared her so I stopped, perhaps I might try it again since she is older and not as timid now (she used to want to pull on the leash to run in the house when she smelled or heard a deer, or heard a dog barking in the distance, now she wants to pull on the leash to try to chase after deer and rabbits if I would let her)

(When I would try the battery powered ball again it would have to only be under close supervision in case she would somehow manage to chew it open)

This is the most coveted toy in our house. We have had several over the years. They are surprisingly sturdy and VERY bright. My dogs like the disco ball that changes color.

Xena used to get excited before when I made her ball squeak, but now the squeaker just makes an air sound instead of squeaking and now she just enjoys it for just being a ball, fortunately the ball seems to be well made enough that she has not tried to chew it to where she could tear it open to get to the squeaker out.

Anything that squeaks. Bones, balls, unfortunate small furries caught outside...

While this ball is extremely sturdy, I don't leave it sitting around to be chewed on. It comes out for night time play in the yard. That said, I've thrown it full force with a Chuckit and never done a bit of damage to it.

PS, it is really hard to push the button to turn it on. I use the Chuckit handle to push the button. I like that about it, because it doesn't shut off while bouncing.

We're somewhat limited by the fact that I don't play "fetch" with either dog at this point - on land at least. Duncan's favorite toys are a holee roller (AKA Buckeyball) for play in my office (he lies in the door of my office and rolls it into the hallway, hoping someone will toss it to him) and a Jolly Ball (any sort, with rope or handle) for play on his own in our back yard. He loves them even after they've lost their ropes or handles. When we're on vacation, his favorite toy is a Chuckit disc, because he's allowed to play "fetch". All of these last pretty well (except that the Jolly Balls lose their ropes/handles fairly soon).

Ross' favorite toy is anything he can steal from Duncan, or anything he can find in the recycling bin (AKA the world's best toybox). (We do not use the sort of can opener that leaves sharp edges, nor do we use many canned foods). He also likes anything that squeaks. The Flappy dog toy is good because it squeaks; it is a great tug toy; and it holds up pretty well to hard use. (It actually used to belong to Duncan, yet is still in pristine shape even after a month's use by Ross).

Here is a link to the ball, it is pretty much the size of a soccer ball. It has grooves so it is easy to pick up and it is pretty sturdy. He has a couple teeth marks in it but hasn't managed to tear it up yet. It keeps him occupied by himself and the kids too for awhile...wear them both out at once. Can't Beat That!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084DRJKO/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=22659121808&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=971630011370500789&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_567ol3apb7_b

And of course I find it cheaper on this link...now that I bought one already.

I've heard of the "chuck it" ball, but I don't think I remember seeing the "kicker" version, I'll have to do a search online to see what it looks like.

The ball in Alchemists avatar and another bigger one are both known as cookie ball. We have about 8 balls with nubbies on them that are collectively known as spikey ball. Gideon loves a soccer ball and Micah an Indestructable Ball for out in the yard. The toy that amazes me the most is a stuffie though. Remember back when Coke first started advetising with the polar bears? We have a Coke Bear. We have had it as a dog toy all these years. And we have had at least 5 dogs who kill all stuffies, but none of them has ever put so much as a tooth mark on this one. Micah carries it all over the house and he was by far the worst of my stuffie killers. It's name is Cola Bear.

Awesome! I am going to get one, we have a cabelas right by us. I also play with Neeko at night too, sometime he struggles to find the ball...Will make my late night wind down time between me, dog, and beer even more relaxed!

This is the most coveted toy in our house. We have had several over the years. They are surprisingly sturdy and VERY bright. My dogs like the disco ball that changes color.

I've heard of the holee roller I'll have to check it out along with the other possibilities you mentioned.

"Ross' favorite toy is anything he can steal from Duncan" - that was funny :)

We're somewhat limited by the fact that I don't play "fetch" with either dog at this point - on land at least. Duncan's favorite toys are a holee roller (AKA Buckeyball) for play in my office (he lies in the door of my office and rolls it into the hallway, hoping someone will toss it to him) and a Jolly Ball (any sort, with rope or handle) for play on his own in our back yard. He loves them even after they've lost their ropes or handles. When we're on vacation, his favorite toy is a Chuckit disc, because he's allowed to play "fetch". All of these last pretty well (except that the Jolly Balls lose their ropes/handles fairly soon).

Ross' favorite toy is anything he can steal from Duncan, or anything he can find in the recycling bin (AKA the world's best toybox). (We do not use the sort of can opener that leaves sharp edges, nor do we use many canned foods). He also likes anything that squeaks. The Flappy dog toy is good because it squeaks; it is a great tug toy; and it holds up pretty well to hard use. (It actually used to belong to Duncan, yet is still in pristine shape even after a month's use by Ross).

Thanks, and I also try to find the best deal on stuff so I know what you mean.

It would make sense that the saying "a tired dog is a behaving dog" could apply to kids too :)

Here is a link to the ball, it is pretty much the size of a soccer ball. It has grooves so it is easy to pick up and it is pretty sturdy. He has a couple teeth marks in it but hasn't managed to tear it up yet. It keeps him occupied by himself and the kids too for awhile...wear them both out at once. Can't Beat That!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084DRJKO/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=22659121808&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=971630011370500789&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_567ol3apb7_b

And of course I find it cheaper on this link...now that I bought one already.

More interesting suggestions to check out !

As far as a stuffie, I would need to find one that would be very hard to chew up or tear apart as Xena is still somewhat of a chewer :)

The ball in Alchemists avatar and another bigger one are both known as cookie ball. We have about 8 balls with nubbies on them that are collectively known as spikey ball. Gideon loves a soccer ball and Micah an Indestructable Ball for out in the yard. The toy that amazes me the most is a stuffie though. Remember back when Coke first started advetising with the polar bears? We have a Coke Bear. We have had it as a dog toy all these years. And we have had at least 5 dogs who kill all stuffies, but none of them has ever put so much as a tooth mark on this one. Micah carries it all over the house and he was by far the worst of my stuffie killers. It's name is Cola Bear.

GA & TX enjoyed our holee roller, but Faith destroyed it very quickly. It was a neat toy. I had been able to squeeze a tiny tennis ball into it just for some added interest. TX is the only dog in the house that can play with the plush toys. The girls (for the most part) leave them be. Mostly because I take them away so they are not destroyed in 14 seconds. Eventually the squeakers wear out but you can buy replacements and perform a little surgery on favorite toys. As for balls, my dogs don't really like tennis balls, too fuzzy or they taste bad. ?? So we use the orange Chuck It balls. Easier on the teeth too. We also have one that glows in the dark.

Here is the bumper we play with. Notice I say WE. No free access or the rope would be gone. :)

http://www.rei.com/product/824170/chuckit-amphibious-bumper-dog-toy

TX loves his five gallon plastic bucket. He drags it here and there, flings it around. Goofball. Also, the only thing he likes to do with plastic bottles is remove the cap and ring. He's closely supervised. Then the bottle is abandoned to the girls.

I will put a plug in for Tuffies: http://www.tuffietoys.com/ They rate their toys on a 1-10 toughness scale. I have three or four that Faith (the spawn of the devil when it comes to soft toys) has done destroyed to the point she can't play with it anymore. They're beat up, but otherwise ok. The toys are pricey though. I would never leave her alone with one.

Good luck!

Regarding soccer balls: we have found that high quality "real" game balls are worth the money. Currently we have a Nike one that has almost no outer cover left, but between the outer cover and bladder is a layer of padding and this has kept the ball going. R is not easy on his balls/toys he does not chew them but is very aggressive in play. Inexpensive soccer balls have died in days the Nike is at least 18 months old.

The heavier dog type soccer balls are not popular, I dont think he likes the weight as he has never liked any heavy toy like a jolly ball.

.....now that is a very easy to please dog !

Whatever is in my hand at the moment.

Thanks, There is sure a variety of toys to choose from nowadays !

Xena is still a chewer even though not quite as agressive a chewer as she used to be (for the most part), but I still have to choose her toys carefully and try to avoid ones that can be destroyed too easily even with being supervised.

GA & TX enjoyed our holee roller, but Faith destroyed it very quickly. It was a neat toy. I had been able to squeeze a tiny tennis ball into it just for some added interest. TX is the only dog in the house that can play with the plush toys. The girls (for the most part) leave them be. Mostly because I take them away so they are not destroyed in 14 seconds. Eventually the squeakers wear out but you can buy replacements and perform a little surgery on favorite toys. As for balls, my dogs don't really like tennis balls, too fuzzy or they taste bad. ?? So we use the orange Chuck It balls. Easier on the teeth too. We also have one that glows in the dark.

Here is the bumper we play with. Notice I say WE. No free access or the rope would be gone. :)
http://www.rei.com/product/824170/chuckit-amphibious-bumper-dog-toy

TX loves his five gallon plastic bucket. He drags it here and there, flings it around. Goofball. Also, the only thing he likes to do with plastic bottles is remove the cap and ring. He's closely supervised. Then the bottle is abandoned to the girls.

I will put a plug in for Tuffies: http://www.tuffietoys.com/ They rate their toys on a 1-10 toughness scale. I have three or four that Faith (the spawn of the devil when it comes to soft toys) has done destroyed to the point she can't play with it anymore. They're beat up, but otherwise ok. The toys are pricey though. I would never leave her alone with one.

Good luck!

Xena occasionally wrestles with a regular basketball, it is pretty thick and tough so it seems there is no danger of her puncturing it.

Regarding soccer balls: we have found that high quality "real" game balls are worth the money. Currently we have a Nike one that has almost no outer cover left, but between the outer cover and bladder is a layer of padding and this has kept the ball going. R is not easy on his balls/toys he does not chew them but is very aggressive in play. Inexpensive soccer balls have died in days the Nike is at least 18 months old.

The heavier dog type soccer balls are not popular, I dont think he likes the weight as he has never liked any heavy toy like a jolly ball.

This thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Multipets-9-Inch-Globlet-Assorted-Colors/dp/B002Z5I2AI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1

It's not sturdy at all, but he's gentle with it. Wesley just goes nuts for it, he loves the deep grunt the squeaker makes. No border collie quite yet though, Wesley is a poodle, and he's weird. :P