BC Boards

questions about getting a second dog

You've gotten a wealth of good advice but remember that one person's experience may not be another's. Just because someone's old and new dog reacted/acted in a certain way when the new dog joined the family, or their lives played out in one way or another, does not mean that your experience will be the same if you choose a similar scenario in terms of ages, when to introduce a new dog, etc. In other words, your mileage may vary!

What Kate said is perhaps the most important point - do *you* (and your wife) want another pup/dog for yourself? If so, when? If so, what sort/age? And how will you deal with potential issues and benefits of a second dog? Adopting a second pup/dog is rather like adopting a second child - it's all about what you can and will provide for both, not just whether or not your first child would both benefit from a sibling and/or provide benefits to a sibling.

There's a level of uncertainty with every decision, including the many variables in this decision. You strike me over and over as some one who doesn't want uncertainty but wants clear-cut *answers* to questions (just like myself), and in general, you won't get that. You'll get advice, personal experiences from people who have already been there, and suggestions or things to consider. But you will only find out just how it plays out when you actually try it for yourself and your situation.

Take the advice, think it over, talk it over with your wife, and make a decision that the two of you are most comfortable with - keeping yourselves open to options and opportunities that may present themselves.

While I agree with the cautions about having multiple dogs the same age near the end of life being hard, you can't know when the end of life will be. I have had to put down a 12 year old with kidney failure and an almost 6 year old with uncontrolled seizures in the same year last year. I had a brother and sister that the brother died at 12 and the sister died at 14. You just don't know what life will bring you. And when you have mixed breeds, you really don't know which parent's life expectancy you'll get or if it will be between the two.

Absolutely! You never know what life will bring. I've lost a two year old dog and I've laid a 17 year old to rest. No rhyme or reason. GA and TX are really close in age for me. But to do it over again, I would do it exactly the same. They are a near perfect pair, peas and carrots. Faith is our string-bean. :)

Seriously, think it over carefully. You're still going to need to devote individual training & playing time to each. It can be a big chunk of time and energy. If you're prepared for that, enjoy!

Best wishes!

Thanks to everyone for all the well thought out advice and the benefit of everyone's experience !

My wife and I have been considering the advice given and talked it over and decided to put our decision on hold for now and revisit deciding what to do at a later date, not sure exactly how much later right now, but will still keep learning more in the meantime.

I definitely agree on what Kate said about only get another dog if you want it for you, not as a companion for Xena. Because otherwise you may be disappointed and have a dog you don't really want. When we got Libby I was looking for a companion for myself and a dog to get serious in herding with more than a companion for Chloe, which is a good thing because Chloe's attitude on Libby turned out being "You keep your distance and maybe this could work out." If I had gotten Libby because I wanted a companion for Chloe, I would have been very disappointed.

Very good point, and one we will factor in whenever we reach the point in time when we will decide. Thanks !

I definitely agree on what Kate said about only get another dog if you want it for you, not as a companion for Xena. Because otherwise you may be disappointed and have a dog you don't really want. When we got Libby I was looking for a companion for myself and a dog to get serious in herding with more than a companion for Chloe, which is a good thing because Chloe's attitude on Libby turned out being "You keep your distance and maybe this could work out." If I had gotten Libby because I wanted a companion for Chloe, I would have been very disappointed.

I got dogs pretty close in age. I wouldn't do it again.

I want to be in a position to really bond with any new dog I get without the distraction of any other dogs that are still work in progress.

I really love 1-1 outings with each of my dogs but they rarely happen.

One other thing (and I know you're putting the decision on hold but wanted to mention this) - a heads up about ages. I can't remember exactly how old Xena is, but usually somewhere around 8 to 12 months dogs often go through their teenager phase and tend to... regress for lack of a better term. Usually somewhere in there I'd like scream, and at that stage I couldn't imagine having another new dog to deal with.

Thanks for thr heads up !

Xena is about 8 1/2 months old, and she will occasionally have a day where she may act rowdy for a few minutes at a time a couple times during that day, it is not a constant all day rowdy. (for those times I mean a few minutes of being very rowdy, beause on any average day she might have a time or two of acting mildly rowdy as I would think most younger dogs would do just from their playful exuberance) ......so I am not sure if those occasional very rowdy times fit the "regression" phase or not.

Do most dogs go the the teenage regression phase, and is it more of an all day rowdy behavior, or just for a few minutes at a time ?

One other thing (and I know you're putting the decision on hold but wanted to mention this) - a heads up about ages. I can't remember exactly how old Xena is, but usually somewhere around 8 to 12 months dogs often go through their teenager phase and tend to... regress for lack of a better term. Usually somewhere in there I'd like scream, and at that stage I couldn't imagine having another new dog to deal with.

We definitely don't want anything to hinder bonding with our dog, we want her to feel close to us and not act aloof, but have that emotional bond where she will easily interact with us, and that seems to be happening very well.

I got dogs pretty close in age. I wouldn't do it again.

I want to be in a position to really bond with any new dog I get without the distraction of any other dogs that are still work in progress.

I really love 1-1 outings with each of my dogs but they rarely happen.