BC Boards

Old dog lost his teflon coating!

Looking for suggestions.

My problem 14 yr. old male dog's hair turns to dreadlocks in the summer. He's in the pond every chance he gets with the heat and humidity his hair stays damp. So when he lays down it matts.

Never used to do it. Must be some change in his hair as he aged.

He used to love to be groomed but as he has aged he acts like it hurts him, even if there are no matts.

Last year I took to shaving his belly, around the collar area, and 1/3 the way up his sides. Worked great and he loved it.

This year we are now getting matts across the middle of the top of his back. I scissored his hair short but it still matts.

Short of shaving his whole body I'm at a loss of what to do. He get fish oil daily and bacon fat several times a day.

Like I said this was never a problem so I'm thinking it is age related.

Anyone know where I can get new Teflon coating for him?

Looking for suggestions.

My problem 14 yr. old male dog's hair turns to dreadlocks in the summer. He's in the pond every chance he gets with the heat and humidity his hair stays damp. So when he lays down it matts.

Never used to do it. Must be some change in his hair as he aged.

He used to love to be groomed but as he has aged he acts like it hurts him, even if there are no matts.

Last year I took to shaving his belly, around the collar area, and 1/3 the way up his sides. Worked great and he loved it.

This year we are now getting matts across the middle of the top of his back. I scissored his hair short but it still matts.

Short of shaving his whole body I'm at a loss of what to do. He get fish oil daily and bacon fat several times a day.

Like I said this was never a problem so I'm thinking it is age related.

Anyone know where I can get new Teflon coating for him?

LOL.

Ditto on removing the bacon fat from his diet!

My first thought about the matting is to try some spray-in hair conditioner. I haven't researched to see if they're generally safe for pets, but then, there must be a pet product out there somewhere

Theres a pile of products that help prevent matting, but at 14 I would just shave he baby down. Its less intrusive to get a 3x yearly clip than to have to deal with brushes and spray and mats.

I had an epileptic dog whose coat changed, maybe from the meds I dunno...at 8 I gave up and shaved her. She was more comfortable, I didn't worry about mats and it was just easier. I also clipped down my elderly Papillon when he got elderly, he coat was a mess all of the time and he hated the brush.He was so much happier and I found it easier to deal with.

I use cheap human hair conditioner -- like Alberto VO5 -- to keep my one dog who has a longer coat silky and unmatted. She doesn't get bathed very often, but what I do is this: I get a hand towel sopping wet and then squirt a bunch of conditioner on it. I give her a rubdown all over with it, especially on the places where she gets dreadlocks, like between her legs. Then I dry her off, without rinsing. During summer, she gets "conditioned" several times a week, often after getting hosed off after getting sandy and salty at the beach. I also trim her fur shorter in the knotty places, like on the back of her hind legs and in between her legs. It really helps her fur, a lot, and she doesn't mind.

I wouldn't shave her. I shaved my Golden last summer, and her coat still hasn't grown back in completely! Maybe the belly and legs, but not the back, especially since she is older. Have you had bloodwork done on her recently? Could be a thyroid issue. I would try the conditioner and/or the show sheen (whatever that is! sounds good!)

The bacon fat (by which I mean the drippings left over from frying it) was the vets idea.

His hair looks beautiful very shining and healthy looking. Just matts. Doesn't do it in the winter only the summer.

I've tried detangle sprays etc on him with no change. I'll have to try show sheen that stuff works great...at least on horses.

Rushdoggie that was kind of what I was thinking. I really feel that it's an age thing. Was just checking to make sure there wasn't something I had missed.

At 14 he's earned the right to look a little "funky". Right?

Kelleybean he's had blood work. Everything is fine.

I did shave him down all last summer his belly, chest, collar area and 1/3 up his sides. And twice already this year. Grew back just fine. In fact have to reclip every 6 weeks or so.

Maybe he wants to be a poodle???

I wouldn't shave her. I shaved my Golden last summer, and her coat still hasn't grown back in completely! Maybe the belly and legs, but not the back, especially since she is older. Have you had bloodwork done on her recently? Could be a thyroid issue. I would try the conditioner and/or the show sheen (whatever that is! sounds good!)

I kind of meant at 14 I'd just keep him short.My opin

ions should be prefaced by the fact I dislike grooming dogs, so when the coat becomes a problem I am all about getting rid of it. Fay (BC I shaved) looked cute if a little bear like clipped down and it sure made washing her a breeze.

At 14 he's earned the right to look a little "funky". Right?

absolutely. put on some bob marley, light up some ganja and go with the dreadlocks! ;-)

My 16 y.o. smooth coat has developed some funky coat issues in the past year or two. She has a thick undercoat and it tends to mat in with the guard hairs, She also mats along her back. I try to use an undercoat rake regularly, but she doesn't much like it. For me, I do what I can so that she's comfortable and figure if her coat is a bit icky, she too has earned it.

J.