BC Boards

adopting a BC this evening (probably)

Hey thanks, that's good to know (the long, slow distance thing). I'm a trail runner the plan is she'll be coming out on the trails with me once I'm back in my routine. And yes, I guess I shouldn't worry too much about games right now. My previous dog was a retriever, so she was bonkers for anything I'd throw right from the get go!

I thought all dogs had a "go potty" command then a someone saw me telling mine to go and they were amazed that a dog would do that on command.

They always go in the same area. One that is not used for other things like playing. I think it's from the part about not soiling where they live.

You girl is figuring out where that is.

I have a farm rescue, she is old now. She still won't play ball with me but even in her old age I'll see her sneak around and toss a ball to herself. They do learn to play. Just takes an adult dog a bit longer to figure out the deal. She will figure it out I'm sure

What is her name? She looks like a wonderful dog!

Congratulations and enjoy you new partner!

Thanks, her name is Eme (pronouced Emmie) - that's was her name on the farm, and I think it's good enough to keep. Her registered name is Emerald (she's ABCA registered ), hence 'Eme'.

We started working on the 'go on command' command this morning. She did a repeat of what she's been doing, does a poop in the tall grass (same spot as always), comes home, then pees in the backyard (same spot - she sniffed until she found it). I guess if it's only pee and only in one spot, I can live with that, but I'm going to try to work with her so she'll do that in the out of bounds area as well.

She's adorable. Oh, and she may already have a potty command... it just might not be what you think. When I adopted June I had a heck of a time the first few days convincing her to potty in the back yard - but I KNEW that she had a potty command. I tried a lot of them.. "go potty", "go pee", "do your business"... finally I called to find out what it was. It was "hurry up".

I have one who quite prefers to poop on things (like Julie's ex-housemate's collard plants). :lol: He'll go out of his way to find the tallest available grasses.

congratulations! She is a beauty. I would like to echo what others are saying. I adopted a 1.5 yr old female BC with a similar story. everything seemed to be going fine at first until one day the toast popped up out of the toaster and sent her in panic mode. it is kind of funny now, when I look back at it, but little mundane, unexpected things like that would set her in panic mode and she would go running in the opposite direction when they did, luckily, she was never in a location she could go far or get hurt, but pays to be careful.