BC Boards

Flint's neuter day....

KrisK

Today's the day....I'm of mixed feelings. He has not displayed any of the 'boy' behaviour that I had when Jazz was a pup but I also know I have no intentions of breeding him, so it makes sense to have him neutered.

Mojo for the boy would be appreciated - I know these are 'routine' operations, but any time my pups need more than a vet check I get stressed!

I'll have to search the boards for info on dealing with him - post neuter! How quiet for how long :)

Good luck Flint! Fargo was done at 3, once his health was stable enough for the procedure. He wasnt displaying male behavior, but I wanted to be 100% sure that he never passed on his disorder to pups. As for worry...I asked the vet if I could hold his paw. He did fine, a bit groggy for a day, and rather silly looking in his doughnut collar. He was on restricted activity for 7 days, hand walk..no running or jumping..we played alot of puzzle games, and practiced tricks that didnt involve sit or down.

I went easy on the boys for about a week, leash walks, no vigorous activity, and then eased them back into normal activity. SInce Bute was monorchid, we were a bit more careful since he had had more invasive surgery.

I am a bit of a basket case any time one of my dogs has a procedure that involves anesthesia...

I handed Samantha's leash off to the vet tech. As she was walked into the back she turned her head and gave me this beseeching look. . .

I got in the car and just bawled. Had to sit and cry for a minute before I could drive. I was a basket case until I went to pick her up.

So, yeah. I'm very grateful that all my other dogs were already done when we got them.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Leash walks...that will be good practice for Flint...he's not the best boy when it comes to the leash.:(

I'll be sure to pick him up his favourite bone for chewing and look up the tricks training stuff.

Well Flint is home, safe and sound. He's looking fairly normal, all things considered....now the challenge begins...how to keep him reasonably quiet!

Checked Flint's incision tonight and made a call to the emergency vet...something didn't look right - I thought it was herniated. Thank goodness for digital cameras and email. We got a photo, sent it to the vet and Flint has a very swollen scrotum..which I'm supposed to ice tonight. (NOW that should be an adventure!!!!)

He wants to see him in the office tomorrow just be be sure all is well but at least it's not an emergency trip tonight.

Oh the poor baby!!! Sage had the same issue when his was done. Sage happens to love belly rubs so I was able to get him to lay down and let me put an ice pack (wrapped in a dish towel) on it to get the swelling down. Agreed, digi camera and e-mail are wonderful. My vet just happens to be down the street from me, incase I needed to rush him back in.

Checked Flint's incision tonight and made a call to the emergency vet...something didn't look right - I thought it was herniated. Thank goodness for digital cameras and email. We got a photo, sent it to the vet and Flint has a very swollen scrotum..which I'm supposed to ice tonight. (NOW that should be an adventure!!!!)

He wants to see him in the office tomorrow just be be sure all is well but at least it's not an emergency trip tonight.

That's one of the problems that they try to avoid by keeping the dog quiet. It's fairly common. It can be caused by excessive bruising or bleeding(which is more serious). Keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't keep getting bigger and bigger.