BC Boards

Frisbee Search...

Hi ya'll! I am new to the board and on an ever lasting search for a specific frisbee. I have attached a pictre of it, and of course it is on its last limb after 7 years of catch. I can't seem to find it. Even if I can't does anyone have some good suggestions on Frisbees? have tried the Kong, which is okay for quick close throwing...we use this when practicing with multiple frisbees. Of course I have tried all that I can find at the pet stores, most are too hard on the edges or fall to quickly. The one I posted is perfect, problem is I have no clue where my husband picked it up 7 years ago :(

Would greatly appreciate any advice.

post-15110-0-76399500-1369780513_thumb.jpg

Thanks much!

She's not very hard on Frisbees though.

JJ’s horrible on Frisbees. And Josie thinks they are for playing tug. Between JJ’s “jaws of steel” and the numerous games of tug between the two, I’m surprised at how well they’ve (Nylabone Frisbees) held up.

Thanks Brenda! I will have to check out Lowe's! I didn't even know they had a pet section! I do have Nylabone one as well, but that one is too hard for playing. But I will check maybe they have different weights. I have been searching and researching forever!

Welcome!

Those are made by Nylabone. You can find them in the pet section of Lowe's Home Improvement. I agree. They are the best. We have several and we've used them for years.

Awesome! Never even heard of these before. Do they discs have thin sides? Just wondering, can't tell by the pictures. Neeko isn't to aggressive with his frisbees but at times he can be, guess it depends on his mood that day. The Whamo I pictured above is perfect for him, soft but after 7 years, he has managed to crack it and get some tooth marks thru it. But I will definitely look into these as well!

I like HyperFlite discs: http://hyperflite.com/

Meg prefers the softer SofFlite discs. She's not very hard on Frisbees though.

Thank you everyone :) I now have a Neeko - Frisbee folder in my favorites! I have so many to choose from. I just hope I can find something we both like. I don't know about your BC's but mine is picky. LOL. He will always go for his clear Whamo, and I hope to find something similar so we are both happy.

Nylabone one as well, but that one is too hard for playing. But I will check maybe they have different weights.

Nylabone does make different weights. (I really dislike the one with the bone on it.) If it has the word "flexible" on it, it should work. I'm not a very good Frisbee thrower but even I can make these things fly.

Nylabone does make different weights. (I really dislike the one with the bone on it.) If it has the word "flexible" on it, it should work. I'm not a very good Frisbee thrower but even I can make these things fly.

That is great then! I will be checking in to that for sure! I have a super hard one, that I let him chew on when he gets angry at me...his anger usually sets in after 30-45 minutes when I make him take a break! But I have also learned turning on the sprinkler after a long play of frisbee keeps him occupied for another hour or so before it is time for me to throw some more!

The Whamo I pictured above is perfect for him,

Ok, you made me go pull a Frisbee out and look on the back and you're right. It is a Wham-o. All this time I thought they were by Nylabone. Thank you for correcting me!

Ok, you made me go pull a Frisbee out and look on the back and you're right. It is a Wham-o. All this time I thought they were by Nylabone. Thank you for correcting me!

LOL. It must be the same one then! Gosh I hope that our Lowes has it! Neek and I would both be estatic! I know the pet secton in our Lowes is super small but I am off to check it out tomorrow. If that one doesn't have it I may drive another 25 mins or so to check the other Lowes.

• 2 weeks later...

Waffles, which discs do you use from the site you gave? I have tried 3 so far and now moving onto the site you provided. Thanks!

My favorite and they last forever and you can get the blem's for cheap-

http://www.herodiscusa.com/canine-dog-discs

I have the super aero, super hero and the sonic taffy. They are all similar but I think one is a bit lighter but can't remember which. I have 6 and most of the printing on them has worn off. I just buy the $6 blems and get one of each (of the 3 I mentioned) and have ordered twice, only because we need (apparently) to have one in each car, one in the yard (lost most of the time), and a couple by the back door. :rolleyes:

Besides the print fading, they are all in pretty much the same condition as when we purchased them, with the oldest ones being 2 years old by now.

Thank you! I am going to order today. Appreciate your posts;-)

I have the super aero, super hero and the sonic taffy. They are all similar but I think one is a bit lighter but can't remember which. I have 6 and most of the printing on them has worn off. I just buy the $6 blems and get one of each (of the 3 I mentioned) and have ordered twice, only because we need (apparently) to have one in each car, one in the yard (lost most of the time), and a couple by the back door. :rolleyes:

Besides the print fading, they are all in pretty much the same condition as when we purchased them, with the oldest ones being 2 years old by now.

I wanted to thank you for your suggestion! We got a discs today, as you suggested I bought the blems...who can beat that for 6 bucks! We ordered the aero, hero, and sonic. But as you stated there is one that is softer/lighter. That is the aero and that one flies pretty darn good. The others are good to just a tad bit harder on the edges, but the aero is absolutely perfect! Thank you for making Neeko happy again :) . I am definitely going to order more, I would hate if one day we couldn't find them again! So far it seems to hold up durability wise...but so far so good!

I use several different designs of flying disks.

One has a bump in the center of the traditional plastic design, allowing it to rest on a hard surface like asphalt in such a way that it leaves an edge exposed for the dog to grasp in his/her teeth. I don't recommend extended disk sessions on concrete, but when nothing else was available a few throws have never harmed my dog. It is a thoughtful design. Many dogs figure out how to pick up a normal disk from any surface, but the way it's constructed makes it easier. Mine is so worn that I can't see lettering to provide a brand name very well, but appears to read "Disc-O-Dog".

I like the flexible rubber ones, somewhat like the Kong brand, which seem to me to be gentler on the dog's teeth and mouth. They are floppy, but spinning in the air makes them fly much like rigid plastic disks. Thing I don't like about Kong is the prominent lip on the edge around the circumference which IMO makes it difficult for a medium size dog to grab in the air. Kong to me is excessively heavy, and the throws don't carry very far. I watch the toy aisles of pet stores for floppy rubber disks (they easily bend like a taco in the hand) that are shaped more like traditional hard plastic flying disks (no excessive lip around the edge). They throw quite a distance and are easier on the dog. The brand is different every time I spot one, and they are hard to find in pet stores. Currently I'm using "K-9 Flyer" by Ruff Dawg.

Finally, has anybody tried the flying rings? They are flat, about as thick as a piece of cardboard, but constructed of plastic. They are what the name implies -- a ring about the diameter of a traditional disk, but with most of the center empty, like a doughnut with a huge center hole. One brand is "Ring Flyer" and they come in many sizes and weights. You see them in the childrens' toy aisle of most stores. One manufacturer advertises that the design holds the record for the farthest thrown object propelled by simple human power. These things sail. A little flick of the wrist tosses it nearly as far as a traditional one can be heaved with all your strength. Additionally, they are stable in the air, remaining flat, so that you don't get as many wonky unintended bad throws as with conventional disks. My BC loves it. They are extremely light and easy for the dog to grab out of the air. When Josie gets her mouth on one, she almost always has it securely. Fewer muffed catches. My dog, sometimes for her own amusement, B) carries it around her neck, so I suppose there conceivably could be a remote choking hazard, which would be prevented by putting the ring away when not in use. I have never seen a problem myself. They can be thrown short or incredibly long distances. I'm interested in your experiences with it. -- TEC

• 3 weeks later...

If you are looking for long lasting dog safe Discs go with the JAWZ discs by Hyperflite. They are a little expensive, but they last forever. My Aussie his hard on discs and my BC pup is getting that way and I have 3 and they are still in perfect condition.