BC Boards

Syndicated Border Collie Stud?

I ran across this today - mention of a Kelpie stud dog in Australia that has been syndicated. I knew that some racing Greyhounds are syndicated, but this leads me to believe that winning trial dogs are sometimes syndicated. Does anyone know if any Border Collie trial winners that have been syndicated? If so, what do you think this would do to - I believe it's called - inbreeding coefficients among working/trialing dogs?

http://www.cowdogcentral.com/bell/aboutus.htm

I know of a Border Collie that was sold to a group of owners and imported to the USA. Not sure if you would count that.

A popular sire can raise the COI of the breed. Just read the ISDS article on Wiston Cap. I do think stud owners should be mindful and not breed to every single bitch that comes their way.

I ran across this today - mention of a Kelpie stud dog in Australia that has been syndicated.

http://www.cowdogcen...ell/aboutus.htm

Are you referring to the dog known as S/B (aka Station bred) Elanglade Ben? To set the record straight, he indeed was born in Australia but was imported to the USA as a young dog many moons ago and syndicated for the expressed purpose of purportedly producing "tough cattle working" dogs". Translation...the proclivity for savage, indiscriminate bite and little else.

Contrary to what was stated on the Bell's Working Kelpie website, its MNSHO that while Ben may have had some Kelpie lineage, he very likely had a prepronderance dose of Bull Dog lineage. Indeed, videos of the Australian Elanglade (breeders prefix) dogs including Ben depicted an uncanny resemblance to yellow colored Pit bulls. Not surprisingly, internet pictures of his progeny "working" cattle portrayed dogs who were inappropriately gripping and alas, in all the wrong places.

Interestingly, The North American Australian Kelpie Registry (NAAKR) website posted the following disclaimer: "As of December 1, 2004, Dogs with the Australian Elanglade ancestors are not eligible for registration with NAAKR. They may be registered with the Working Cow Dog Registry as Station Bred Australian Dogs.

FYI...the respective official Working Kelpie registry in both Australia (WKC) and the USA (NAAKR) embrace an "open stud book" policy. Won't bore you with the details except to say the good news is this attitude encourages genetic diversity but unfortunately also opens the door to genetic trash.

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of a stock dog being syndicated, and was curious. I wasn't able to find any more info on the subject or a picture of the dog in question. I also wondered if there had ever been a Border Collie syndicated. I found the whole idea a bit troubling.

Glad that I could help enlighten you.

Lots of pics circulated on the internet and then poof...they disappeared. B)

Syndication per se shouldn't trouble you. In a nutshell it's a financial partnership amongst two or more buyers...i.e. gives the group greater buying power. It's a common practice used to procure seed stock.

No need to wait for his papers, Danielle :-). Yes, the one and only (as far as I know) Stetson. Sire of Russell (Russell McCord named the dog after himself); Russell X Lucky resulted in Puzzel (the granddaughter mentioned who won the 2000 Lone Star Futurity in Nacodgoches) and Riddle. Riddle is the maternal grandma to your Mossie boy. Stetson was also the sire of Rudy (2003 Reserve National Cattle Champion). Both Puzzel and Riddle each had a litter by Rudy (Rudy is the one that put the curls/waves in the offspring's coats),

A

Yes, Terri's Lady Bird (RIP); I didn't know Rob had one of them. YAY! That's what I get for being out of the "sheep" loop. Has his bitch been a good one for him? (I can't imagine that she hasn't!).

A

Oh no....I didn't know that Ladybird had passed on. That is too sad.

Yes, Rob Miller's Jen was a very good bitch......long time successful Open dog, always well pointed, veteran of many Finals and ran well into old age. I think she's not long retired at 12 years.