BC Boards

Seresto flea & tick collars

I saw an ad for these in the National Geographic today, and I wonder if any of you have any experience with this product. It’s pricey, but Amazon has a good price on it. (See 2nd link below) But it’s an 8-month collar, so the price is not a lot more than Advantix or Frontline. Link to product website below.

http://www.petparents.com/products.aspx/about/seresto?subId=howitworks&ecid=pp:ser:bng:ppc:ser:sercom:162

http://www.amazon.com/Bayer-Seresto-Flea-Collar-Large/dp/B00B8CG602/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1369156644&sr=1-1&keywords=seresto+8+month+flea+%26+tick+collar

Thanks for the heads-up. From a little digging around the web, it appears that both the scalibor and seresto collars have been in use in Europe before being available here. Different active ingredients, but both seem to work when wet (although the scalibor band may be a bit better - but I say that only based on reports from users, which may not be totally accurate).

Another tool for the toolbox.

Jovi

I just put a Seresto collar on my two a few weeks ago. The product does work when wet, but it is important to note that the flea aspect of the collar will be decreased to a 5 month duration if it is chronically wet - ie. bathing a dog or swimming the dog more than once a week. This does not effect the tick aspect of the collar.

I live in a heavily tick infested area of SE Virginia and, on a day where I pulled close to a dozen ticks off of me standing in the grass, my dog was moving through the tall and thick grass/woods/brambles working on blind outruns and I only found 3 dead ticks on him.

A good thing to note is that there is currently a $20 rebate on Seresto collars purchased through veterinary hospitals. Something to keep in mind price wise.

As to Scalibor collars, we used to have those in the clinic and they seemed to work great, and were unaffected by the water. Unfortunately, I saw more topical reactions to the Scalibor collars due to the dust of the collar. Seresto collars are very different as they are wider grey collars that do not have the white dust falling off of them.

Scalibor collars have been available in the US for about two years, and for a yr in europe before that. Seresto collars were available last year in europe and debuted here in the US at the beginning on 2013. Scalibor collars do take 2-3 weeks to be fully active while Seresto collars take 48 hrs and offer a repelent aspect.

All in all, another tool out there for those that need it. I certainly love that there is now Seresto collar for cats - making it the second tick option out there for cats (Frontline being the other option).

For those that don't know, Frontline is also releasing the new Frontline Tritek this month in VA. It has been available for a while in 8 South East US States. It features the same ingredients ( (s) methoprene and fipronil) as Frontline Plus, but also includes cyphenothrin. This will increase flea kill to starting in 5 minutes and tick kill to starting in 1 hr.

• 5 months later...

An update on our experience with Seresto collars - this month is the fifth month we've had the collars on, nice and snug. After applying them early in the summer, I found two ticks on the dogs. One was dead and one was dying. We did not have another tick all summer and neither did we experience any fleas, but we usually don't here where I live. The collars are supposed to last eight months without bathing or swimming, and five months if the dog is bathed or swims at least once a month. My dogs are not bathed but they do cool down in a stock tank so the collars may have been at the end of their effective lives.

We just spent a week in eastern NC. One dog, who has occasional seasonal allergies, was mildly scratching when we left home. While we were there, within just a day or two, all dogs were doing some scratching. I thought I spotted a flea on one but missed catching it and getting a positive identification. We were not sure if the dogs had fleas (I became more sure on a daily basis, just by observing how they were scratching and biting) and know that some dogs can get itchy from the salt water and/or local beach grasses. If it was the water and saw grass, I would have expected a reduction in scratching by this time since their last time in the water and grass was Friday morning.

We've been home less than 24 hours and I found and killed a flea on one dog. I'm off to get some Comfortis as soon as I can this morning. I've seen positive and negative reviews of Seresto and its effects on flea control but with my experience so far, I don't know that I'd rely on it in the future or maybe only for a shorter period of time than it is labelled for.

I've been using them for about two months. I haven't found any ticks (which pleases me, as this is mainly why I bought these). I do very much like the fact that they can swim with these on, and that they aren't toxic to cats. But Ross's "small dog" tick collar fell off and got lost last week. I wish they came with sturdier buckles.

I've now replaced Ross' collar with a "large dog" collar.

We do use Sentinel for heartworm control - it also controls fleas.

The Seresto collars are cheaper from Amazon, by the way, than from my local pet store (though my local pet store did offer some rebate coupons - I'm just bad about sending those in before they get lost).