BC Boards

Kids in agility

Shawna

I'm writing an article on agility for middle graders, but don't have enough experience of my own. Could those of you who compete maybe give me a hand with this one?

Is there an age limit for handlers in competition? Do they have special classes for kids? Can kids (around 10 years) successfully train a dog to competition level, or is this better for an adult to work on?

Are there good books on training, particularily geared for children, or at least understandable to them? What about web sites? What is the best way to go about finding local clubs?

Any short, funny anecdotes would be appreciated as well. No guarantee I'll use them but they might come in handy. Go ahead and e-mail privatly if you prefer.

Thanks,

Shawna

[This message has been edited by Shawna (edited 09-10-2002).]

I don't know the "rules" as far as junior handlers in agility, as I simply watch and don't compete with my guy. But I was at a competition one time anf there was a girl of about 13 who was running a little beagle in competition. She was really great and could move ten times faster than us big adults. Good luck on your article.

Shawna,

I tried to email you privately, but it didn't go through. Anyway, I was looking up agility stuff and came across this web page. It's a Junior Handler newsletter. I didn't read much, but maybe it have some useful information for your article. I haven't learned to do a link, but here's the address. www.clix.to/jh

Hope this is some help to you.

------------------

Cindy & Daphne

Glad someone mentioned NADAC. Just spent a fun weekend at an ADAC (Australian offshoot of NADAC) workshop. The pups and I had a great time. Having done ?traditional? ANKC (read AKC) agility with my previous dogs, I really liked the different approach ADAC (and I guess NADAC) takes - giving more responsibility to the dog,and making safety a prioority. They used harnesses and a long line held by a trainer, and the handler away from the dog, so the dog had to figure things out for himself, but in a way where he wasn?t ?allowed? to make a mistake. Of course the BCs had a fabulous time, and I?m pleased to say, were among the quickest learners (although of course they weren?t actually jumping - just going over bars on the ground.) Unfortunately, my nearest ADAC trainer is a 3 hour drive and 9 hour ferry trip away - problems of living on an island!

------------------

Barb

Hi Shawna - I?m not really being fair to my island state. Tasmania is a beautiful place, and really quite civilized! (Home to about half a million people.) It?s actually a bit like BC, although with eucalypt forest/bush and the mountains are nowhere near as high and we don?t get anywhere near as much snow - although there is snow on 4000? Mt Wellington (just outside the capital, Hobart) today - spring showers! There was even snow falling in my yard a while ago - not settling but it did puzzle the puppy dogs!

It?s just that the obedience/agility/tracking world is fairly small - e.g. only 2 tracking trials a year, and a limited range of training options, and there?s a 250 mile stretch of water betwen us and the mainland of Australia. So when someone like the ADAC trainers comes over and you get all enthusiastic, it?s hard to follow up. But then I wouldn?t swap the peace and quiet for the big cities.

------------------

Barb