BC Boards

A little too friendly?

Luna is 11 months old which, indeed, means she's still a puppy! And of course, puppies can be very... enthusiastic. I think it's great that she likes other people so much. But sometimes it's too much.

Certainly, socialization was a top priority from the moment we took her in at 8 weeks. She loved to pee for people- she'd always be so excited to greet everyone in the universe. It's very difficult to keep people from encouraging the over-excitement, especially when it's just an adorable little puppy. And I quickly grew tired of her whimpering and rolling over and peeing for every person who looked at her.

Today, Luna is still very excited to greet people. Too excited. Not every person on the street wants a dog trying to french-kiss them, or even stare at them while whining until she gets the opportunity. Nor do I need the distraction, especially when all I want is a relatively relaxed walk.

The real issue is that Luna comes with me to the office. People come into the office regularly, and many don't need a dog dead-set on greeting them. Some people appear to be intimidated when she gives a play growl the second they walk in. It's also a bit disruptive to have a dog whining and whimpering beneath the desk. Since I'm not necessarily the one who handles the visitors, I have the opportunity to grab Luna's attention with a quiet game or training or treats to keep me the most interesting person in the room. And it works. But the minute I allow some time to pass when I'm not keeping her fixated on me, she realizes... "Whoa, there's still a person in the room, and they look awfully exciting!"

This isn't the biggest problem in the world! I'm so grateful that she, generally, is a well-rounded dog! But it's the biggest problem that we have. I feel a bit guilty sometimes, as though I made a mistake by allowing too much coddling by people and that it may have encouraged her to react with over-excitement each time she now sees someone. Lately I've been telling people to sort of ignore her unless she's being quiet and not pushing for attention, so they appear a little less interesting... Yeah, people don't like it when you tell them to ignore a sweet puppy who wants to say hello. Wouldn't be the first time people tell me that I'm too stern with my dog- when all I ask is for them to cooperate with my training. I think they're upset because I'm being stern with them, not the dog!

Anyhow... Yes, Luna is still a puppy! I know many dogs grow out of these sort of things... I just can't help wondering if her excessive excitement has been sort of trained into her as a response to strangers. I want her to like people! I don't want her to LOOOOOOVE people! Am I worrying too much, and is this something she's likely to grow out of? Or do I need to take more action? Of course I'm still working with her on the "watch me" concept. You know, giving her praise and a reward when she puts her focus on me while other people are around. But I need some advice, or reassurance, or someone who can tell me I'm not screwing up too bad!

Thanks! <3

I wish I had some wisdom to offer you.

You have described my dog - almost 6 years old. He LOOVEs people. Like yours, he can focus on something else more interesting, but once the "more interesting" thing goes away or stops happening, people become his focus. My boy is a sly one. He has learned to sit, but then,while sitting, scoots his butt over toward the new person. Once the patsy has started to pet the "darling boy", he slowly rises up on his hind legs while leaning on the person and licking their hands. A total suck-up! I am also embarrassed that he doesn't act better (more controlled), but have yet to figure out a way to teach him to stay in one place and ignore new, and more interesting, visitors without being somewhat harsh. (Not over the top harsh, but more aggressive than I think that this behavior warrants.)

Anyway, I am willing to try any suggestions out there. I have tried most of what you have mentioned - distraction, watch me, stay, etc. It is very hard to train him out of it because it is very difficult to set up the progressive training scenarios that I think would work.

Jovi

For your office situation I recommend teaching a place command. Get her a dog bed or cot and that will be her place. She stays on it, stays calm (you reward but once she knows the command you don't have to constantly be entertaining/distracting her while people are around) you can tell people to ignore her easier as well. Place is great because you release them when you want and can send her back to place, you teach her she stays on it until you release her. I totally agree that people do not like being told not to do something with a dog. My dog comes to work with me as well and people love getting him to do tricks. Problem is, he doesn't always do them perfect for other people as he gets way too excited and yet when he doesn't do the trick 'right' they don't notice/care and still treat him for it! I have had to re-train tricks because people reward him for the wrong behavior.

This will probably be unpopular with many, but I think standard equipment on any well-behaved dog is the command "go away." It's useful for all kinds of things, like getting the dog out from underfoot while carrying large heavy things that obstruct you vision. It's also great for avoiding the overenthusiastic greeting of a guest or the dog being distrustful of the UPS man who needs a signature. It's easier on the dog than a long sit or down. It gives them more freedom than a "go to place" command.

It isn't mean. It just means "It's not your turn now." My dog was very anxious and fearful when I got her and it didn't break her spirit or scar her for life to be taught this. And as for those who think I'm being a tyrant - well, too bad. It's none of their business. All too often they are the same people who think I underfeed my dog because she doesn't waddle like their overfed Labrador Retriever. I just tell them that having an obedient dog with self-control is a good thing - especially around folk that are fearful of dogs, don't like dogs, or just don't want to be pestered at the moment.

Thanks guys!

For your office situation I recommend teaching a place command. Get her a dog bed or cot and that will be her place. She stays on it, stays calm (you reward but once she knows the command you don't have to constantly be entertaining/distracting her while people are around) you can tell people to ignore her easier as well. Place is great because you release them when you want and can send her back to place, you teach her she stays on it until you release her. I totally agree that people do not like being told not to do something with a dog. My dog comes to work with me as well and people love getting him to do tricks. Problem is, he doesn't always do them perfect for other people as he gets way too excited and yet when he doesn't do the trick 'right' they don't notice/care and still treat him for it! I have had to re-train tricks because people reward him for the wrong behavior.

I'll definitely try that out. I've been meaning to teach her a place/go to your bed command for awhile. And since she has outgrown her old bed, it'd be great for me to teach her the command with a new cushion.

This will probably be unpopular with many, but I think standard equipment on any well-behaved dog is the command "go away." It's useful for all kinds of things, like getting the dog out from underfoot while carrying large heavy things that obstruct you vision. It's also great for avoiding the overenthusiastic greeting of a guest or the dog being distrustful of the UPS man who needs a signature. It's easier on the dog than a long sit or down. It gives them more freedom than a "go to place" command.

It isn't mean. It just means "It's not your turn now." My dog was very anxious and fearful when I got her and it didn't break her spirit or scar her for life to be taught this. And as for those who think I'm being a tyrant - well, too bad. It's none of their business. All too often they are the same people who think I underfeed my dog because she doesn't waddle like their overfed Labrador Retriever. I just tell them that having an obedient dog with self-control is a good thing - especially around folk that are fearful of dogs, don't like dogs, or just don't want to be pestered at the moment.

Haha, I've had the exact same issue with people telling me my dog was underfed! Then I look to see their big walrus of a dog hobbling around the park! Just curious- how'd you teach it? I'm interested, I think it'd be a good thing for my dog to know. Actually, I find myself occasionally telling her "Go away." when I'm extremely ruffled and busy and all over the place, but have yet to implement an actual command. And since she's a velcro dog... well, tripping is always a danger for both of us!

One thing I love about the border collie intelligence is the sheer number of commands they can quickly learn and use consistently. We've got kind of a combination of the above going, varying degrees of place commands which ultimately act as a "go away" depending on the circumstances. "Inside", "Kitchen", "Back yard" and "Quiet Time" work for us. I'm ultimately telling him to "go away" but by designating where I'd like him to go away to I can also control how much freedom he'll have when he gets there which is all kinds of handy.

Thanks from me too. I am also interested in how to teach a "go away" type of command as my dog doesn't see too many new people on his home turf. (i.e. a place where I can use the 'mat' or 'place' command.) It is usually out in public.

Jovi

I would probably use both mat work and the Look at That Game from Control Unleashed to rememdy this and teach her that there are times when people aren't available to her. I might also provide her with a portable crate - one that has a top that zips open - to provide her with a structured place to be when she is in the office but it is time for her to chill, not greet. That's nice for the people, too. They can know that when Luna is in the crate, they should ignore her, but when she is out and about, they are welcome to greet and visit.

If you aren't familiar with the Control Unleashed Puppy book, I highly recommend it. Self control in a dog is helpful throughout his or her lifetime.

I teach "go on" or "be a dog" to mean "I'm not going to interact with you right now, go do your thing". I didn't really do anything in particular to teach this. I just say the words and then ignore the dog and go about my business. If the dog initially shoves toys at me or stares, or whatever, I simply ignore it (I might put the toy up if the dog is only going to continue to try to interact with me with it - if the dog will go on and chaw on it, I will leave it with the dog) They eventually get the idea that when I say those words, nothing all that great is going to come from me for a while.

My dogs are still welcome to hang out with me at those times, but they know I'm not going to interact directly for a while.

I do teach a "go away" as a behavior using a target (useful since it is the opposite of a recall), but that is an active behavior that will be followed by further instructions, not a "go be a dog" kind of "go away".

Your story brings back memories of Buzz, who thought meeting new best friends was the Most Wonderful Thing Ever.

So, the suggestions above are good. Here are a few more.

Enlist some help from knowledgeable dog people. I had great success asking people I knew were dog savvy to either ignore Buzz, or turn away from him if he approached them, not even look at him.

I made Buzz sit and wait for a couple beats, every single time he saw a new person or an old friend. I didn't entertain him or distract him. If he broke the sit or tightened the leash, we turned and walked a few steps away. I also always asked if he could greet someone. Sometimes the human in question said no. I respected that. Buzz learned that he did not get to meet everyone, and that I decided who and when. In your office, this will be harder. I bet if you start out in a larger space, to get Luna used to the idea, it will translate to smaller spaces with not much effort. This will help Luna learn to control herself as well.

If someone doesn't abide by your request to not touch, etc, I believe that you have the right to exaggerate. I told a few people that Buzz had knocked an elderly lady down, and I really needed to train him not to jump. He never did anything like that, but it got people's attention a bit better. I think that it also drives home the point a little better that dog owning is a responsibility, not just treats and scritches.

Good luck! I do miss Buzz and his love of people. Glad you posted, remembering my beamish boy brings me a big smile.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

I've always pointed to where toys are thrown or where a piece of food was dropped so my dogs are used to checking where I point. I just added a "Go on" to it to get them to just go in that direction. Sometimes I have them go on and then I throw a toy to them or a treat, sometimes I have them go on and then lie down, sometimes they go on ahead of me to go outside. They have all learned it, even the stubborn JRT.

The more I read about Luna, the more I think Mur and she are related. :)

We have the EXACT same problem, even more so that there are 4 children next door under the age of 10 encouraging the "OMG KIDS YAY!" reaction. The kids are smart and know not to pet him when he's on the trolly run and they do ask if they can pet him which I make sure he's in a heel-sit with my fingers in his collar. Of course, the kids are face level with Mur and I always tell him "Murray, be nice - Kisses!" and he will sit while they pet his face, ears, chest and slobber them all over. This display of epic cute lasts maybe 45 seconds before Mur wants to run and jump on the poor kiddos and it's a "In The House!" command for Mur.

We worked on greeting strangers/groups in Obedience last week. Our instructor suggested that we ask people if Mur can say hi to them. If they don't consent, or if he gets "Crazy Eyes" we're to give a "Let's Go!" and get Mur out of Dodge. The instructor suggested that by letting him wiggle his rear closer to the person or allowing him to be overly friendly, we're encouraging the behavior. This is hard... he's so friendly but we know he needs to learn boundaries. I'm going to try the "Go Away" when we're at home with the kids running in the yard and keep my eyes peeled for more tips!!

I take at least one dog to work with me every day. The rules are simple. They must sleep quietly under my desk so they don't disturb the other doctors who share the office with me (no barking, whining or fussing). They must not bother the receptionists who stop at my desk frequently to drop off messages and charts. They are to completely ignore the constant parade of people, dogs and cats that go past the office. They can come out to socialize or accept treats only with my permission. Basically, it's a long down stay command reinforced. I take the privilege very seriously. Any dog that disturbs the peace at work will be left at home.

I would work with her on down stays using a crate, dog bed or other clear marker that defines a boundary that she can't cross. While in a down stay in that location, she must stay quiet and ignore everything that happens. It is only with your permission that she can leave and interact with people.

Thanks from me too. I am also interested in how to teach a "go away" type of command as my dog doesn't see too many new people on his home turf. (i.e. a place where I can use the 'mat' or 'place' command.) It is usually out in public.

Jovi

I have used place while out in public (and so can you!). I taught it so that it was not just associated with his cot at home. I can send him to place on the couch or a chair at home. While out in public I would just point at a bench and say 'place!' and he would leap on to the bench. The way I taught it is that you are sent to 'something' and you can stand, sit, lay, whatever you want as long as you stay on that 'something'. It has come in handy while hiking off leash and I want to 'turn him off' and sit on a bench or fumble with my camera/phone or pose him on stone walls or other photogenic objects. Obviously it isn't a command to be used while walking your dog and you just want to walk past a person without your dog getting excited-other techniques are clearly more appropriate.

For the OP-place can be for one minute or 30 minutes. That is the beauty of it-your dog can just snooze away while on 'place'.

I can and do all those things with dew but she is sooooo sad when she isn't the middle of a new persons universe! Only time it is no big deal is if she's working. Even then, she once (and only once) actually stopped working sheep and thought about for a minute running over to meet the stranger. I about fell over. I shamed her and she came right back around to the sheep.

I take the blame. Like everyone else, I wanted her to be socialized so we went about meeting strangers. But we lived very rural so, maybe it never became "normal".

My whole car will shake when we pull up to stop signs and she's thinks the other driver might acknowledge her.

The best thing I found that helped her gain control is getting a new puppy. She really seemd to mature.

She does have a no feet command which ,means keep your feet off people so she softly turns her back to the person and leans on them.

I promised myself I would never let this happen again! ;)

Oh my lord! I have one of these dogs too! She was a happy pee-er for several years and it was reinforced by many people who thought she was sooooo sweet and soooooo cute that they just had to pet her even when she was sitting in a puddle of her own pee! She won't jump up but she will fall over on her back and has been known to pee on herself while on her back.

She is now 6 years old and has gotten much better but we have worked on it. When people come to the house she is to go to her bed and stay there until I have determined that she is calm enough to get up and greet. If she got too over-excited she was removed from the room and banished outside or to my bedroom for a few minutes to think it over and then invited back in and sent back to her bed. Then allowed up again. She quickly learned that calm, reasonable behavior allows her to greet the guests and being a nut gets her kicked out of the house. If we are out and about on a leash and she starts acting up I simply tell the people that I'm sorry, she can't be petted while she is acting like a fool.

There is a happy medium, my other two border collies like people and are completely trustworthy around anyone. They are great ambassadors for the breed but keep their dignity at all times. With this one I took her out more and exposed her to more people at an earlier age. I wanted to be sure she was socialized and I guess I got what I asked for!! On the next one I'm not sure what I'll do...

Nelson is the same, as soon as he sees a living human being, he just waggles his tail so fast that he can't even walk straight anymore. He has the longest uncontrolable tail I've ever seen. If he hears someone talk on the street, ears go back, ass wiggles uncontrolable etc.

He comes with me to work as well, and we have a lot of people coming in an out of the office, which got him used to all kinds of people which is awesome. But yes, not everyone want his crazy shaking tail in their faces or walking in their way (he is really good in waggling right in front of people). I tought him 'on your bed', which is a dog bed under one of the empty desks in the office, and he knows that is his spot. If I give him a bone or treat, it is always on his bed. In the beginning, I would say 'go to bed', and if he wouldn't listen, I would tie his leash around my desk and he would be attached to that (which he hated). He quickly picked up the 'on your bed' and now when someone comes in, thats what I say. Ofcourse you will still get people that do the 'aaaaaaaah SO CUTE' and then, ofcourse, I just let him go.

I would probably use both mat work and the Look at That Game from Control Unleashed to rememdy this and teach her that there are times when people aren't available to her. I might also provide her with a portable crate - one that has a top that zips open - to provide her with a structured place to be when she is in the office but it is time for her to chill, not greet. That's nice for the people, too. They can know that when Luna is in the crate, they should ignore her, but when she is out and about, they are welcome to greet and visit.

If you aren't familiar with the Control Unleashed Puppy book, I highly recommend it. Self control in a dog is helpful throughout his or her lifetime.

Yeah, I used to bring her crate in with me for her to settle in. People acted like it was a torture device or something and just didn't understand why I wasn't letting her run to them (to pee all over the place, right?) to say Hi when she wanted to. I mostly stopped bringing it because it's so heavy and I have a little tiny car... I'll have to look for a portable crate. She outgrew her old one anyway!

And I've heard about that book! I've actually been looking around for some reading material for the past week now. I KNEW there was something I wanted to read, and I couldn't remember what it was called! Thanks for reminding me!

I teach "go on" or "be a dog" to mean "I'm not going to interact with you right now, go do your thing". I didn't really do anything in particular to teach this. I just say the words and then ignore the dog and go about my business. If the dog initially shoves toys at me or stares, or whatever, I simply ignore it (I might put the toy up if the dog is only going to continue to try to interact with me with it - if the dog will go on and chaw on it, I will leave it with the dog) They eventually get the idea that when I say those words, nothing all that great is going to come from me for a while.

Oh! That's sort of like when I taught Luna to go off and do her own thing after training. "All done!" after teaching her to "watch me" was a great way to deter her from staring at me in my own room for hours on end. I did the same thing- ignore her! Easiest command I've had to teach yet! ...sort of. You know. Stubborn puppies. Well that helps for sure!

~

Thanks for all the other advice, too! Thank goodness I'm not the only one in the world with this problem. I did consider "hiring" cooperative people to act boring and ignore her when she runs up to them. Well, her running up to them hasn't been a problem lately since she does stay behind my desk, but she still whines and stares at them with the "crazy eyes" as Murray's mum put it. :P It's just so frustrating when the people who come into the office encourage it by making kissy noises and kneeling down to practically BEG Luna to run over to them! Grr! And then I'm the bad guy when I quickly tell them to ignore her- it doesn't matter how thorough I am about explaining the purpose of my training! Ah well... The real world certainly isn't what I'd consider a "controlled environment."

A kennel where I take Gibbs has two dog beds in the reception area. In LARGE letters, above each bed, is "I'm Being Trained, Please Don't Approach or Talk To Me."

Maybe a sign like that on your door would give people the first hint. Then you would reinforce it.

I'm also teaching Gibbs to lay on his side, fully relaxed. No rolling over to show his belly, or doing the twisty dog thing. Still and quiet is the only thing that gets him a low value treat. Working on something similar separately from the mat work, then bringing the two behaviors together might help with the pleading eyes.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Syncrope:

The way I teach "go away" is mostly just to say the words in a growly voice. As soon as the dog finds something else to do and quits staring to see if she can get close again, I invite her back and play with her. Something she likes a lot. Tug, ball, whatever.

Pretty soon the words in a conversational voice will do the trick. it's worked with every dog I've had. Even Sensei, my last rough Collie - who was an affection junkie (and dumb as a bag of hammers) got it straightaway.

Its funny, I had a dog weekend last weekend, was around dog savvy people all weekend. I think Dew tried pestering 1 person 1 time, she quickly figured out they all had her number. Didn't really jump or try and molest anyone all weekend. Smart dogs they are indeed.

I didn't teach the "no feet" we just expressed our displeasure at her feet on us and she figured out how to touch without using her feet.

It's like Dew Crack for her to greet/love strangers or heck for that matter me, if I ran to the grocery for 15 minutes. She smiles and groans in pleasure.

If I didn't enjoy it a bit and inadvertantly renforce her hugs she'd probably not be doing it. Slippery slope.

I didn't teach the "no feet" we just expressed our displeasure at her feet on us and she figured out how to touch without using her feet.

We call it "Paws Off". (Once the dogs learned "off" all I had to do was rub their front paws while saying "paws, paws....) The first time JJ stood on his back legs without touching the counter, I had to smile at myself.

Makes you realize you have to really know what you want before teaching them! ;)

Faye learned I don't want poo in the house. She is 99% potty trained. It's either her own or I know it's ravens poop, one of them will Have an accident and Faye will eat it. No where else but inside my house does she do this. I swear she inadvertantly learned it was a way to not have poop in the house.

Syncrope:

The way I teach "go away" is mostly just to say the words in a growly voice. As soon as the dog finds something else to do and quits staring to see if she can get close again, I invite her back and play with her. Something she likes a lot. Tug, ball, whatever.

Pretty soon the words in a conversational voice will do the trick. it's worked with every dog I've had. Even Sensei, my last rough Collie - who was an affection junkie (and dumb as a bag of hammers) got it straightaway.

Great! Thanks for the tips!

-and to everyone else, too! :lol: