BC Boards

2013 USBCHA National Cattledog Finals is under way

The 2013 USBCHA National Cattledog Finals was opened by the singing of the National Anthem at 6:50 am, AJ Malnar with his dog Skipper led off the event by running first. The cattle are fresh but easily stopped and turned, not so easily directed into precise locations especially if they get rattled by the dog on the lift.

Clean smooth lifts are being rewarded with calm cattle, but calm cattle i...s not ensuring that the cattle will move through the panels, if the dog does not hold pressure the cows are more apt to avoid the panels, electing for a path out in the open vs. walking through the 20 foot gap.

At this time we have run our 1st 10 dogs, with a few cows making off the field and to the at hand work where they is a Y-Chute, Z Chute and Pen. No one has made it to the Z as of yet, but still 35 more handlers anxiously waiting their turn. The course time is 10 minutes, we are on a 4 dog per hour pace.

10:30
A light drizzle just started, winds are still coming out of the north but no quite as gusty as earlier in the day, feels like the temperature is dropping. We have a few dedicated spectators huddled under the tents and many more have pulled up to the east fence and are watching the trial from the warm comfort of their trucks. Bob Johnson is currently on the field with Ruby, leader at this point is Ron Enzeroth with Mick
Scores so far (unofficial)

Ron Enzeroth with Mick 142
Murray Ketteler with Roy 120
Mike Davis with Sugar 113
AJ Malnar with Skipper 101
David Leierer with Opie 99
Bill Reed with Glen 89
Liz Muehlheim with Haley 88
Larry Burch with Lass 71
Richard Brandon with Lad 62
Debbie George with Quirt 56
Rick Wall with Sis 53
Ron Green with Kiki 46

For those of you who are interested- yesterday's official results are listed on usbcha.com. It is 32 degrees and snowing today at the Finals, according to weather.com.

To make it easier to find- it is under "Major Events"- "Cattledog Finals" and the "Results" tab.

Wait until you see the photos that I just took.....snow, power lines down, trees down, tents down but we are on our 5th dog. Ron Green got one through that Z and on his way to the pen when he ran out of time. Cattle look totally different today slogging through the snow. We reduced the course time from 10 to 8 minutes, Nursery runs having a little easier going with the rerun cattle combined with this interesting Midwestern weather phenomenon.

The course is the same as yesterday, same distances but made time shorter. Yesterdays cows were all fresh, today all rerun, wet, soggy and moving through 4-6 inches of snow, the cows don't even look like the same ones that we had yesterday for open

2nd Round Nursery (unofficial)

The cattle are really handling nice, as I watch out my window over looking the field I see a nice set of three heifers walking as a group across the field to the left hand drive panel.

Scores are looking good
Steve Knipmeyer Ace 115
Ron Baucom Cody 141
Niyole Livingston Bess 175
Dwight Parker Sammie 149
Curtis Dukes Tuff 95
Carol Anne Tholkes Stone 228
Christi McKenney Turbo 108

Thanks, Debbie, for keeping us all informed! I can't view the videos right now but I will look forward to watching them later.

Thank you for all your hard work!