BC Boards

Bil-Jac frozen dog food

I was at Walmart last night, in the ice cream section. I saw, out of the corner of my eye, Bil-Jac frozen dog food. I read the ingredients...not sure about some if it. I searched for reviews when I got home, didn't find too much about it one way or the other.

Has anyone ever used this?

If so, Pros and Cons please.

Thanks.

I have never seen dried bakery product in a dog food. What is it? It is the 3rd ingredient.

I would imagine this stuff is expensive and if you want to go the frozen food route then you might as well do raw. I just picked up 50lbs of venison on Craigslist for 15$ so raw can be much cheaper than commercial food if you find good sources (most of what i buy is .70-1.00 lb though) I would either stick with dry if your choice was this bil jac frozen and whatever brand you currently feed. I can't imagine the quality is much better from dry to frozen. It doesn't seem to market itself as a premade raw food so I assume it is cooked.

Also the main ingredients in this food besides the bakery product thing, can all be purchased fresh for cheap. Whole chickens here are usually .80lb, beef liver I get for 1.00lb, tripe I have yet to buy but is also said to be cheap.

As far as dog food quality its mediocre. However, its delicious junk food for dogs, and its very sticky so its excellent for stuffing in a Kong, or sticking to a gate for teaching go-outs, etc.

Bil Jac must put some kind of crack in their food. Every dog I have offerred the kibble or frozen to, no matter how picky of an eater, has gobbled it down.

I read the ingredients. Sounds tempting (from a dog's POV) for the occasional treat, but probably not a good choice as a daily ration.

BTW, found this online. Still not sure exactly what is in it, but it must be some sort of grain. Not sure why you would want to feed your dog a mix of raw dough...

"Also in accordance with the present invention, a process is provided for preparing a dried bakery product, which is useful as the farinaceous carrier substrate in the fabrication of the pet food premix product. The process for preparing the dried bakery product comprises:

(a) providing raw dough;

(B) providing baked dough;

© mixing the raw dough and the baked dough to form a mixture;

(d) drying the mixture to form a dried mixture; and

(e) scalping and screening the dried mixture to form the dried bakery product.

The dried bakery product provides a naturally low pH pet food product having a pH in the range of about 5.7 to 6.4, and is effective in this regard by adding about 15 to 38 wt % of the dried bakery product to the final pet food product."

Sorry, it's used as a flavor enhancer. It's known to be addictive(think salty processed human food-have you got a craving for something yet?- I have). And some dogs show neurological signs and hyperactivity after exposure to it. It's in broth, natural and artificial flavors, hydrolyzed anything, yeast anything, citric acid, and several other things, as well as being a by product of certain cooking practices that are commonly employed in the making of dog food.

I hang out with dog food geeks and thing rub off on me, I'm so ashamed.

It's been around for at least 30 years, I'll bet. I remember when it first came out and people were flocking to buy it and also buying freezers to keep it. I've never used it as a dog food, but I did find that my dogs LOVE it for training....so it has become one of my training-treat staples.

I fed the kibble for many years and my dogs did thrive on it..those dogs were fit and glossy as anything and lived a very long life. The main reason I stopped is that it did AWFUL things to their teeth, it leaves a nasty coating on them and they get tooth problems on it.