BC Boards

Tie a Yellow Ribbon

I just saw this at my vet's office.

If you have a dog that needs space - for any reason - tie a yellow ribbon to his/her leash. That way other people will know that your dog does not do well with other dogs or other people. They will know to give you and your dog some space.

I believe I saw an article stating it started in Europe and has been adopted by some cities here. I would love to see more awareness. In my area, the only people I know of who have even heard of it are ones that I have told about the idea.

I thought the DINO page was responsible for it but I guess not. I do like what they have to say about it though. No matter if a dog is wearing a ribbon or not, all people should have the respect and knowledge to not force themselves or their dogs on other people's dogs. Or assume that every person or dog wants to meet you and your dog while they are out for a walk.

Did DINOS create the Yellow Dog Project? Do you promote yellow ribbons?

Nope, DINOS is not the creator of the Yellow Dog Project. DINOS is not affiliated with any yellow ribbon campaign or project. We support the good intentions of the folks behind these projects and appreciate their work to educate the public about dogs who need their space, however DINOS has a slightly different message that we’re focused on promoting at this time.

DINOS promotes responsible and respectful ownership towards and around ALL dogs. The public should have control of their dogs, obey leash laws, and ask permission first around ANY and ALL dogs. The ribbons are one of many handy communication tools, but no dog should have to wear a ribbon in order for others to be responsible, respectful, and obey leash laws. If you see a dog without a ribbon, please afford it the same respect as a “yellow dog”. In order to reduce dog bites and create public spaces that are safe for us all to enjoy, please remember that while some dogs have a stronger need for space than others, ALL dogs have a right to their personal space.

Problem is, even a muzzle and verbally telling people that your dog is not to be approached don't always work. There are idiots who keep on coming, insisting that they and their dog are loved by all other dogs. They just don't get it that a fear aggressive dog doesn't care if they are friendly, they just want to be left alone.

I've seen this a few times on facebook, the image used there originated from the book "Behavior Adjustment Training," I'm not sure if the author started the idea, but I wouldn't be surprised.

That would be Grisha Stewart, of Ahimsa Dog Training in Seattle.

Problem is, even a muzzle and verbally telling people that your dog is not to be approached don't always work. There are idiots who keep on coming, insisting that they and their dog are loved by all other dogs. They just don't get it that a fear aggressive dog doesn't care if they are friendly, they just want to be left alone.

You're right, some people just don't get it. I remember seeing someone putting his nose up to a dog in a muzzle, staring at him, eye to eye. All I could think was that this dog would probably rip your nose off, if he had a chance, he was so freaked out by this stranger getting in his face! Bugger off, dude!!

I run in to this all the time, my dog is very friendly off leash but when we are out running is occasionally snappy ... He wears a harness attached to waist belt and when we are approaching other dogs, I give them a wide birth or shorten the leash and stop untill the other dog has passed.... And despite my efforts I often feel like we are getting stalked by flexi-leashes..... As the dog just gets closer and closer and we have run out of space to move further away... Oh and the dogs are usually small enough to fit in mines mouth...

I was at the park one time when a little dog (Chihuahua probably) attacked one of mine. He was actually hanging from my dog's neck, shaking and snarling. Lucky for the Chi, the dog he attacked was extremely gentle. The owners were laughing. They were so clueless about how quickly their dog could have been killed.

The key here is the clueless part. I wonder if seeing a dogfight would wake them up. Or seeing a small dog get killed faster than you can blink. I think they really have no idea what can actually happen.

I run into a lot of people who have had two dogs in their life and they think they are dog experts based on those two dogs. And strangely those people also often have a whole houseful of books on dogs but I don't think they ever read them. They need to get about 15 more dogs and live with them for many years and then they would have a much better picture of what is really going on.

But I kind of like the yellow ribbon thing. It would tell the more experienced people (like at a trial of some kind) that there was a dog in sight that doesn't do well with other dogs or people. The faster you are aware of that situation the more time you have to deal with it safely.