BC Boards

The dog as a judge of human character

Of course on the flip side, my neighbor had a retired drugdog (BIG German Shepherd) that hated my ex! No matter how careful he would be, Rambo would find some ingenious place to find just to make an appearance as my ex would be right between car and house...maybe I should have taken the hint! ;)

Missy was highly skeptical of EVERYONE outside of my family (and even a few family members) so I didn't really rely on her judgement in that sense. But once and a while we'd meet someone who she'd feel at ease with. When I'd see her so at ease, then I always felt quite comfortable around that person.

My current two? Kenzi LOVES everyone. Kipp is just neutral to people he doesn't know. Kinda like they don't even exist (unless they have food for him!)

I have owned several dogs that were amazing judges of character, and others that loved everyone.

One dog I owned attacked a guy who broke into our house. When the police showed up he was wagging his tail and acted very proud of himself. That same dog suddenly jumped in front of me and started growling while I was walking alone in the woods. A kid from my school came around the bend in the trail a moment later. That same kid beat someone almost to death a few years later. This dog was the best therapy animal I have ever seen. He was infinitely loving and gentle with people with mental and physical disabilities. They could accidentally hurt him (for example, if they had difficulty controlling their movements and poked him in the eye) and he continued to let them pet him and act like they were the greatest people ever. Kids with autism and other mental disabilities were his specialty. He was also great with stroke and brain injury patients. He never met disabled kids or adults as a pup, so I can only thank an innate ability to read people for his skills. He wasn't perfect, but I trusted him with my life.

I have a dog right now who hardly met any children when he was young. When he was about 2 years old, an autistic kid ran up to him at the park, got right in his face and started yelling then took his ball. My dog stayed calm the whole time and quickly had him suckered into playing fetch. The same dog jumped in front of me, roared and drove back a guy who came out of the bushes towards me at 2 am. This dog won't take any foolishness from normal people, but those who don't mean any ill will can get away with just about anything.

Most of my other Border Collies have been the type to like just about everyone, but maybe get a little worried around strange behavior. They need socialization to learn how to react to humans. The special ones are just born with a deeper knowledge of people that can't be taught.

Celt had taken the course and passed his TDI testing, but barely. He's a dog that we found out did not do well around the elderly ladies with curled white hair. He doesn't like people or places that are strange to him so he takes some adjustment sometimes.

But we were visiting the rehab and passing through the ward where the brain-damaged patients were, and he practically climbed into the lap of someone he'd never met before, who was sitting in a wheelchair in the hallway. And who put his arms around Celt (the dog that does not care for cuddles and hugs) and made some sounds at Celt, who relaxed in his lap and enjoyed the cuddling.

We visited a nursing home where a young man who was essentially quadruplegic was confined to his gaily-decorated room with an assistant to "read" his fingertip motion communication. Celt marched up to the bed, got up alongside the young man, laid down, and spooned. The helper put the young man's hand on Celt's head and we chatted a while. I had to call Celt when it was time to leave.

One night at a nursing home during training, an elderly dementia resident wanted me to walk the halls with her, as that's about all she could do, and she needed an arm through hers for better balance. She muttered incessantly and Celt was worried at first - he's used to people saying something when they work their mouths and that something to be somewhat meaningful. Once he realized that that mannerism was just part of what this lady was, he relaxed and we spent quite some time walking the hallways. The resident was ecstatic - she not only had a walking companion and could mutter away to her heart's content, but she had a dog to walk with her, and I'm sure that Celt is what made her so happy.

Sometimes Celt seems to immediately trust someone, sometimes he warms up to someone, and sometimes he's just not keen on a person and always stays a bit skeptical of them. Dan and Megan, on the other hand. seem to instantly love just about everyone they meet - or maybe they just haven't met someone who shouldn't be liked.

Dogs read things in people (and other animals) that we don't see.

Sometimes I wonder about what my dogs see. Currently I have one Border Collie is is wary of everyone but will make friends with most people given time and space. But there are some people who make him uncomfortable and I have noticed those people either a. generally don't care much for dogs or b. don't believe me when I tell them he doesn't want to be friends. Rather sensible, but not really intuitive.

I have one who is pretty happy and outgoing to everyone but the vet. Also sensible.

I have owned one dog who seemed to be a good judge of character, my Papillon Harley who died last year. He tended to be polite but not friendly to people when he met them. He would then decide if they were worthy and be friends with people who he liked.

We tended to have the same taste. When I got him I was married to my ex who was a great dog person, and who pretty much all dogs loved. Harley was cool with him for the 5 years we were all together. He wasn't aggressive or anything but he would never willingly get on my ex's lap or look happy when my ex petted him.

When I met my now husband I told him Harley was standoffish. He told me later he was more nervous of meeting Harley than he wanted to admit because he knew if Harley didn't like him he was toast (well, maybe...). He didn't need to worry. Harley liked him within 5 minutes and spent the last few years of his life as Alan's shoulder ornament. I never saw him as relaxed with any human other than me. Who knows what he knew that I didn't.

I truly believe that many dogs (not all) are excellent judges of character. I had a very sweet GSD growing up that hated my Mom's best friend's husband. Whenever he came over, she would sit near him with hackles up emitting a low growl. Years later we found out he was a pedophile. I always pay attention when my dogs don't like someone. They may be picking up on an action or scent that I am oblivious to. Trust your gut, and trust your dog--my motto.