BC Boards

Control of geese - advice

We have a fairly new pond (~2 years old) on our property. Last year, we saw a couple Canadian geese checking it out, but my dog chased them away - and that was that.

This year I was noticing goose poop around the pond, and a couple of days ago, I saw 11 geese swimming about. Again, Torque would circle the pond to 'chase' them, but they would just float in the middle. (He is not going to swim after them, although he is a good swimmer when he goes to the rehab vet's pool.) After about 5 minutes (and I threw some rocks at them), they finally flew off. The next day, 5 were back.

Does anyone know (or can you point me to internet resources) how often I should be trying to chase the geese away? Once a day? Twice a day? I want to prevent nesting and laying eggs since I understand that once they do that, they have established 'home turf', and they will stay around. (I am familiar with goose-control BCs, but do not know the specific routine that these teams use to disrupt nesting.)

I used to live in NJ and have lots of exposure to geese-infested ponds/waterways. Nasty areas with lots of goose droppings. I don't want to live with that again!

P.S. I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate post. I thought I posted this a few hours ago, but I don't see it - so am trying again.

Thanks,

Jovi

I would say at least a couple times a day or every time you see them out there. Will Torque go in the pond to fetch a ball or stick? If he hassled them just swimming around it would help a lot!

My DH just had to deal with a pair in the atrium at work. It was a nightmare cause they laid eggs and there was no food for the adults. It's Federal not local conservation. Hassle big time!

If I were you I'd be trying to make sure they don't nest too!

Two times a day at least, and look for any signs of nesting and destroy the nests before eggs are laid. I beleive that you can't destroy nests with egg in them but I think you can destroy before but should check with your local regulations and decide what to do.

Also, if you can, cut down any tall grass and cover near and around the pond.

Can't touch the eggs but you can destroy the nest before eggs. You can also register them with feds and oil the eggs. DH says it's the nest that they home in on more than the eggs. Find that hard to believe but he did talk to conservation dept and Fed, fisheries and wildlife. So guess he knows.

Update: We are trying to visit the pond twice per day. We can not see the pond from the house, but it is only a very short walk (~3 minutes).

I am happy to report that we have "dog-broke geese"! :D Not sure if I am using that term correctly, but the geese now seem to respect/fear? the dog. When the geese first started visiting, they would cluster towards the center of the pond while the dog ran energetically from one side of the pond to the other as they swam one way or the other. [Approx. 1/3 of the circumference of the pond is against a very steep, rocky slope, and therefore the dog can not run all the way around the pond.] Only after 10-15 minutes of running dog and rock-throwing human would they finally fly away. Since the thrown rocks would not reach the geese, and the dog will not swim after the geese, we bought a slingshot. That is fun. I can barely hit the broad side of a barn, but the idea is not to hit the geese, just to splash pebbles near the geese as an additional annoyance.

Fast forward about a week, and now when Torque starts his run towards the pond and around, the geese immediately take off. We don't even get a chance to use the slingshot.

I figure that if I can keep up the twice daily visits, the geese should decide that this pond is inhospitable. :)

Jovi

Good news!! Thanks for the update.

Reminds me of last year when we were in Indianapolis for the horse fair dog trail the desk clerk at the hotel warned us about the dog attacking resident geese. They attacked alright, walked right at a dog hissing with wings spread, When one was nose to bill with Ricky he dove low and under it flipping it, sure changed it's attitude. These geese already had established nests and had never been told no by a dog.

We moved the geese off the pond on Thurdsday evening for the first time, Friday morning and Friday evening before we left for the fair and when we got back. By Saturday the geese were in the air the moment they heard the dog trailer door. Was kinda funny. I often wonder how long it took before they were back to chasing dogs.

We moved the geese off the pond on Thurdsday evening for the first time, Friday morning and Friday evening before we left for the fair and when we got back. By Saturday the geese were in the air the moment they heard the dog trailer door. Was kinda funny. I often wonder how long it took before they were back to chasing dogs.

LOL! I think that they should have given you at least one free night's stay! :D

Jovi

• 2 weeks later...

If it gets really bad (as it does in my neck of the woods) you can go the route of registering as a landowner for the right to destroy nest and eggs: https://epermits.fws.gov/eRCGR/geSI.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2feRCGR

Pity the hunting season for Canada geese is so short. They are quite tasty with a long grain and wild rice stuffing...)

ETA: I do respect and appreciate conservation efforts, however