BC Boards

Valuable agility lessons I have learned

I've thought of another one I should have added -

Don't break your dog.

A dog's agility career can be long and healthy if you don't overdo it along the way by working it too hard. Pace yourself and the dog. It should be a very small part of your dog's life.

There are plenty of things I could mention that relate to my attitude to life in general and to my relationship with my dogs but the ones I have mentioned are agility specific.

Enjoy every run like it was the last, you never know when it may have been.

Keep practice sessions short, even shorter than you think; and always end on a good note.

Focus on what went well in a run or practice first, then when you aren't with your dog evaluate what you would like to improve on.

Set small dog appropriate goals, don't base your goals on agility friends and what they are doing with their dogs.

Don't be stingy with rewards.

Only train/compete when you are 100% there.

Run your dog the same way you practice with your dog.

I agree Kristine, fun idea for a topic; thanks Mum24dog

Triple, actually do a 1000 times check of the course map. Say your plan out loud to someone else, saying all the obstacle numbers when you do. (Or else you get stuck at regionals wondering why everyone is over handling that corner, and hey, the tunnel is actually an off course obstacle, not part of the run.... #%&&$%&)

With the above lesson goes, always have a plan B... and C? D?

Run full courses every once in awhile in a mock trial mentality... Where you have to get through the course no matter what. No second chances, no stopping, just on the fly improvisation.

You don't have to end on a good note. Just end it wherever. If you have a motivated, love agility dog, always ending on a good note is negatively reinforcing. Instead plan for 5-10 minutes of fetch or hike or super fun activities that arent tugging/training. In contrast, if your dog is being a little %$$%, end it there. Don't let the "always end on a good note" make you think you need a success to stop, or need to make it easier for a success. Yes don't ask things your dog can't do, but sometimes they are in "moods" just like us, being a brat, end the fun and put them away. (Don't do this with dogs that shut down, this is more of a bold/confident dog thing). Next session know to take it back a couple notches.

If you love agility, and your dog loves agility dont be afraid to be competitive :-) If its more than just a game for you, let it be. If you have high aspirations, strive to reach them. Its okay to be intense about something if you want to win, just make sure your partner is as intense as you. If not, find a dog who can handle the intensity.

Never get mad and always have fun. I, and probably others will judge you if you look like a sourpuss and aren't having fun. Not that judging matters, but don't be the person who can't be positive, or blames the dogs. You ruin the fun for others, and make good natured competition into a bad thing.

Reward more than not, even if the run was horrible, reconnect at the exit and reward like crazy, make a mental note of what needs more practice.

Always smile and laugh and enjoy yourself, a bad run means there is more to work on that's all! Losing means someone worked harder than you, or more effectively. Congratulate them and ask for tips ;)

Triple, actually do a 1000 times check of the course map.

LOL!! And if you are in a venue that offers games and you are playing a game where there are multiple course options, walk all options!! You never know when your dog is going to get an idea you never saw coming!!

Also, it doesn't hurt to walk all options to really get a feel for what they are like. At a recent trial, I changed my entire plan after walking the option I didn't originally plan to take because as I walked it I realized it was going to be the much better choice for us. But I was ready for both . . . just in case!!!!!

Wouldn't work for me - we don't get course maps. Walking the course with sometimes 200+ other handlers where you can't even see some of the obstacles a lot of the time is what we can be faced with. Best to walk early or late when the crowd is thinner.

You don't have to end on a good note. Just end it wherever. If you have a motivated, love agility dog, always ending on a good note is negatively reinforcing.

I've had a think about this but don't agree in general, although would concede that Always and Never need to be used with caution in any training. Our BC is as motivated as they come but if the plug is pulled before he has got it right he gets confused and unhappy. If the whole sequence isn't going to come good in that session pick out a bit that the dog will get right and reward like crazy then take a break or stop entirely. If that is negatively reinforcing to a dog there is something wrong in the balance, though I can see that a dog might feel that way if it has learned that stopping training means being put back in a crate or vehicle and ignored.

Instead plan for 5-10 minutes of fetch or hike or super fun activities that arent tugging/training. In contrast, if your dog is being a little %$$%, end it there. Don't let the "always end on a good note" make you think you need a success to stop, or need to make it easier for a success. Yes don't ask things your dog can't do, but sometimes they are in "moods" just like us, being a brat, end the fun and put them away. (Don't do this with dogs that shut down, this is more of a bold/confident dog thing). Next session know to take it back a couple notches.

If my dog is in a mood and not inclined to cooperate I see that as all the more reason to reinforce the idea that good things come from working as a team and getting it right. Especially with our BC he can't be allowed to think that doing as we say is optional as his behaviour would just deteroriate from there. Reconnect with one short thing to get right and be rewarded then come back to work another time. A dog shouldn't be allowed to get into the state where it's impossible to get anything at all right.

I definitely don't see training as a confrontational exercise but the cliche "Choose your battles" is appropriate.

I've thought of another thing to add - Don't create an agility dependency in your dog. It isn't fair or necessary.

Wouldn't work for me - we don't get course maps. Walking the course with sometimes 200+ other handlers where you can't even see some of the obstacles a lot of the time is what we can be faced with. Best to walk early or late when the crowd is thinner.

You don't have to end on a good note. Just end it wherever. If you have a motivated, love agility dog, always ending on a good note is negatively reinforcing.

I've had a think about this but don't agree in general, although would concede that Always and Never need to be used with caution in any training. Our BC is as motivated as they come but if the plug is pulled before he has got it right he gets confused and unhappy. If the whole sequence isn't going to come good in that session pick out a bit that the dog will get right and reward like crazy then take a break or stop entirely. If that is negatively reinforcing to a dog there is something wrong in the balance, though I can see that a dog might feel that way if it has learned that stopping training means being put back in a crate or vehicle and ignored.

Instead plan for 5-10 minutes of fetch or hike or super fun activities that arent tugging/training. In contrast, if your dog is being a little %$$%, end it there. Don't let the "always end on a good note" make you think you need a success to stop, or need to make it easier for a success. Yes don't ask things your dog can't do, but sometimes they are in "moods" just like us, being a brat, end the fun and put them away. (Don't do this with dogs that shut down, this is more of a bold/confident dog thing). Next session know to take it back a couple notches.

If my dog is in a mood and not inclined to cooperate I see that as all the more reason to reinforce the idea that good things come from working as a team and getting it right. Especially with our BC he can't be allowed to think that doing as we say is optional as his behaviour would just deteroriate from there. Reconnect with one short thing to get right and be rewarded then come back to work another time. A dog shouldn't be allowed to get into the state where it's impossible to get anything at all right.

I definitely don't see training as a confrontational exercise but the cliche "Choose your battles" is appropriate.

I've thought of another thing to add - Don't create an agility dependency in your dog. It isn't fair or necessary.

Ah! Brings me to another lesson!

Agility is different for everyone :) there are a million ways to train, do and think about things. Do what's best for your dog and yourself! As long as you are fair, try to be consistent, keep things fun and love your dog :)

Ah! Brings me to another lesson!

Agility is different for everyone :) there are a million ways to train, do and think about things. Do what's best for your dog and yourself! As long as you are fair, try to be consistent, keep things fun and love your dog :)

Case in point, as far as a dog being put into a crate or car and ignored (reference discussion above), I have a dog who actually finds that highly positively reinforcing! There are few reinforcers that he prefers over being sent to his crate or the car, and he doesn't care how long he hangs out there by himself! It's pretty cool, actually!

Which brings me to another lesson, too - discover what is positively reinforcing, and/or motivating, to your dog and use it! For Dean, being sent to his crate or spending time in the car is reinforcing, so, of all things, is heeling!! Permission to sniff was exactly the positive reinforcer that taught Maddie to keep her nose off the ground during Agility runs!

In the end, it doesn't matter what is "supposed" to be reinforcing to a particular dog. Whatever that dog loves and will work for is what actually is reinforcing. Some surprising things can be the key to Agility becoming a more enjoyable game for both dog and handler.