BC Boards

Skunks!

8592032016_fcdfd04c69.jpg

Ness got her first skunking tonight :P Hope she learned a valuable lesson about skunks (probably didn't). Amazing she was able to get to it even on a 6ft leash. I had no time to react at all - she was on top of the bush the skunk was hiding in. Cleaned her eyes first then used some peroxide, dish soap and baking soda took most of the stink out of her fur. Now she smells like a walking kitchen cabinet and is pacing all over the place because water touched her delicate fur against her will.

Never a dull moment.

-Rich

Poor Ness. Poor you.

I still remember many, many years ago when my dog at that time (a BC/Lab mix) ran at a skunk in our yard. She ran back to me with a yellowish stripe across her white chest. The smell was so strong that I almost upchucked.

I hope Ness learned her lesson too - but as you say, maybe not. :)

Jovi

Well....maybe she will - however, my Brandy was skunked no less than 6 times!! Mind you, each time was a little less stinky :) I really think she thought they were stuffies to play with!

I keep a 4 litre container of hydrogen peroxide at home just in case. It's the best skunk treatment I've ever used.

The farm/barn dog we had when I was a kid, a black mutt of unknown heritage, got skunked at least twice a year. He had some sort of vendetta against them- he'd get sprayed, and just keep going after the varmints. He was a semi-feral rescue who panicked indoors, and was not super keen on being handled for a bath. A swim in Lake Erie usually fixed it. Should have put us off from swimming in the lake, but it never did...

Hopefully, Ness didn't make it inside before you realised she'd been skunked! That's the worst! Skunked dog comes running in the door, THEN the stench hits you. I'm so glad we don't have skunks here...

I used to have a Collie/German Shepherd that had a vendetta against rattlesnakes. Pooch got nailed onece or twice every year, but he usually got even and then some. He rarely failed to kill the snake that bit him. Though in fairness to the rattlers, Pooch probably got bitten because he was trying to kill the snake. The first time he got pretty sick, but after that he'd just be mopey for a day or two. Every summer he would be sporting bright purple patches on his white forefeet from having the snakebites painted with purple gentian. He lived to the age of 14, when he was killed by our neighbor's psychotic Weimeraner. Ah, life in the panhandle "outback". He never did get skunked, though.