BC Boards

Venues that Award Placements for NQ Runs

On that note... A lot of people are going to be/are moving away from grids, as a big name announced that she has.... I think that is foolish.

Who has stated this? Curious minds want to know. Also, is there a reason why she is moving away from jump grids?

Jovi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Susan Garrett said in A seminar last feb, an then I heard from another source (on another forum) that she said it again in a seminar te weekend after. That she was moving away from Susan salo stuff, and grids in general as she didn't find tey were useful much anymore and that the spyder jump setup worked a lot better for bar knocking.

But in her puppy peaks she does have a lot of early grid work with swagger.... SS stuff I think too?? Can't remember. So it's weird that shed say something like that.

Grids aren't about bar knocking only. So I'm very confused. I predict a lot of people not doing them completely because of what she said and a lot of dogs hurting themselves.

"I have very mixed feelings about teaching jumping grids. I have talked to people who have taught them extensively and swear by them and to people who never teach them and have just as beautiful jumping patterns. Training world is divided about it as well-Linda Mecklenburg does not teach them and essentially disagree with this type of training, neither is Silvia Trkman. Just last week SG who has done grids extensively with all her dogs announced that in future she will not be teaching them." From the sheltie nation forum. ( I like to pop there to read their agility stuff)

I dunno I'm huge about grids. Teaching the dog to independently read jumps and lines.

I can't say I did much with Tessa in the way of grids, and she is the best jumper I've ever had - certainly the most independent. She was taught more along the lines of Mecklenburg's approach, since that's what most of my instructors are into these days.

Dean really benefitted from grid work, and I think the Salo program makes logical sense.

I see this as anohter one of those "depends on the dog and the individual needs of the dog" things. I wouldn't say I wouldn't use grids - I still consider them a useful training tool, but I also don't consider them as essential as I once did.