BC Boards

SG's Recallers Course

For those of us not "in the loop," what is SG? And what is Recallers 4.0?

Thanks,

A

SG - Susan Garrett. Recallers 4.0 is her online course in teaching a super reliable recall through a variety of games and exercises with your dog. The price starts at $250 for the basic level and goes up to over $1000 for the SG groupie level (includes coaching calls with SG, a book and a DVD of the material...) I may be convinced to part with $250 if the material was fabulous and I saw several dogs having very favorable results. $1000? NO. WAY.

According to someone on another forum, the content is very good. She said while she was personally turned off by SG and upsell/clique aspect of the whole thing, someone she really respected had recommended the course. So she did it and was favorably impressed. A couple other people from that forum are signing up for it so I'm going to be very interested to hear what they say...

To be fair, it's not just teaching your dog a recall. It's also teaching you about how to teach your dog, teaching your dog to want to engage with you, and a lot of impulse control stuff. I know that people that have dog breeds that 'can't be offleash' (sighthounds, for example) have had great success with it. It also keeps you accountable, which can be half the battle. I would say it's definitely more useful to people in less rural areas that want to let their dogs offleash/people that do dog sports like agility. If the timing were right, I would be considering taking it.

I participated in Recallers 2.0 and I thought it was very worthwhile. It got a wonderfully reliable recall, but it also helped me understand building both motivation and self control in a dog and breaking things down into dozens of games that build on each other day after day, week after week. If you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket, it's not a bad way to spend it.

The upselling and the general salesmanship of a lot of the SG stuff can get a bit grating, but it's a great community and everyone is really supportive of one another. I think another strength of the course is having a schedule to work to and actual goals to attain so you can move on to the next exercise. I'm not very good at self directed, structured training, so I found it valuable.

Smalahundur, I'm with you! $250 to teach your dog to recall (ok, and other "impulse control" stuff)??!?! Man, I am SO underpaid for what I do with students and their dogs on livestock (and I have to FEED the livestock). Sheesh!! What a racket! I think PT Barnum had it right B)/>

A

I participated in Recallers 2.0 and I thought it was very worthwhile. It got a wonderfully reliable recall, but it also helped me understand building both motivation and self control in a dog and breaking things down into dozens of games that build on each other day after day, week after week. If you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket, it's not a bad way to spend it.

The upselling and the general salesmanship of a lot of the SG stuff can get a bit grating, but it's a great community and everyone is really supportive of one another. I think another strength of the course is having a schedule to work to and actual goals to attain so you can move on to the next exercise. I'm not very good at self directed, structured training, so I found it valuable.

That is pretty much what I have heard from people who have taken the class, that it was great material and they really got something out of it, but that the "sales" aspect of SG was a turn off.

Its fairly easy to teach a reliable recall to some dogs, and tougher for others. This is especially true when you have a dog like a sighthound or one with a history of running loose and being punished.

250 dollars for a basic course on teaching your dog a recall... :blink:/>

That is ridiculous in my humble opinion...

Mine too.

There is no mystique about it and noone who is privy to dog training secrets that aren't available to lots of other decent trainers.

My first dog as an adult was a semi feral 12 month old lurcher so I do understand that some dogs are more difficult than others and he was very hard work for a long time, but that was as much due to my inexperience as his breed and background.

I have learned a lot by reading, taking classes and seminars, and one of the things I have learned is that you don't have to analyse the crap out of everything you do with your dog. I know better trainers than I will ever be who have never read a behaviour book or attended a seminar etc but whose approach is still pretty much the same as mine. I'm sure I know more than they do about the Why (because I find it interesting) but it doesn't impact on the end result.

Life in general is rarely as complicated as some people would have us believe, as long as the basics are sound.

Sales aspect of not, once your in the course I found it toned down.

The material is fantastic, this is my second time doing it now. I think the biggest flaw in the course is calling it a recallers course. Its so much more and everything else. It is a fantastic foundations course IMO, working on a multitide of skills. The organisation of this course was good, but id call it fantastic so far this time around. It is a wonderful 'pre-sports' course for new dogs, and a great tune up for those who would love to see better results in their dog.

As for pricing, I've lived all around Canada the average 6-8 week sessions are usually 150 dollars. This is an 8 week course, with online access for 4 months. A huge community of like minded people and lots of instructors feedback. Video demos, written explanations, researched subjects, and links to more videos ans more thought to her games and training. 250 is a fair price. For I think 400, you get all that, plus an book of all the games and an FAQ compiled from past recallers classes, a DVD of all the games, plus access to the site for I want to say 8 months? On top of that you get enrolled in her online shaping course, which is more mechanics and science behind training. The pricing is fair I think and on a comparable level.

Like distance education at the university level it is not for everyone, online education doesn't work for some. Personally I love online classes of any sort. I like how the material is organised and the work at your own pace. I'm self motivated and honest with my skills and abilities to know what I need more of/less or my dog. If something is not right I ask the community, answers come from everyone very quickly. I love having all think material there to read and reflect on, I'm a processor and I think about things thoroughly before I do, reading it versus having to listen in person, and process is so much easier for me. I still take weekly classes, but I find online and in person compliment each other nicely for my learning style

you don't have to analyse the crap out of everything you do with your dog. I know better trainers than I will ever be who have never read a behaviour book or attended a seminar etc but whose approach is still pretty much the same as mine. I'm sure I know more than they do about the Why (because I find it interesting) but it doesn't impact on the end result.

Life in general is rarely as complicated as some people would have us believe, as long as the basics are sound.

The course isn't about the why actually. Already a couple of the topics mention "I don't care why the dog is doing it..." Sometimes you do need to learn the why, but most of the time you are as you said it over complicating things. Look at what you are actually reinforcing and theres your answer 9times out of 10.

Personally I consider the cost to be excessive for a class on recalls, or even basic impulse control/sport preparation.

But I also recognize that SG is a big name and what people are really paying for is the opportunity to work with her. And I can say that I have paid a decent amount to work with people that I personally respect in the way that a lot of people respect SG.

In this area it costs me at least $20 to attend a single basic obedience class. Where I don't learn anything new. Just to get my dog out into a new environment to train. Any sort of herding lesson will cost me at least $50 (and usually closer to $75) and 3-6 hours of time for a single 15-20 min lesson. Any sort of clinic or seminar will be $400-$500. I am taking the cost of gas to get there into account because it is part of the cost of attendance. So while I still think it is overpriced there aren't really any inexpensive options for learning outside of books and youtube video clips. So I can understand why people would consider paying that price.

Yes, it is $16-20 per class here in the states and as Maralynn said, I am not learning anything new. For a time, I was driving 50 miles round trip and receiving zero feedback. And my dog is far from perfectly behaved.

I have a very high drive 8 month old with impulse control issues and have come to learn that there are virually no local resources for this type of dog.

So, this leaves books, videos, the internet, and online courses. I care much more about the content than the SG name. It pains me to plunk down $250, but if I am not getting what I need locally, there may not be much choice....Unfortunately.

And the class I took I felt I knew much more about dog behavior in general that the instructor. One suggestion for getting a dog to come at a dog park was leaving a flexi on the dog. It was stated that all dogs would find basic obedience to be aversive at first but they would get used to it and learn to enjoy it

Is training there generally run as a business rather than voluntary?

Here there is a widespread voluntary sector and those claiming to be professionals have to keep their prices down to compete. I don't know any commercial trainers round here who can get away with charging more than £5 for a 1hr class. Our club charges half that for obedience.

I'm not counting franchise operations like Bark Busters who use inexperienced operatives.

Of course voluntary trainers vary in quality, but so do do professionals.

Agility classes run me between $100-$220 for 6 classes. The cheaper option is if I take it at my facility, and the more expensive is for if I go just about anywhere else. My comp OB classes are around $25/each. This isn't taking into account gas for travel. Taking classes is not cheap. If I count up all the money I've spent on my dog it would make people cringe. However, I don't regret any of it.

Yes, dog training is a business (in Chicago and in DC metro areas).

- Basic puppy class, obedience, intro agility will run you around $150/6 weeks

- A more "involved" class (more knowledgeable instructor, greater interaction and feedback) will run you around $250-300 dollars for 6-8 weeks

- Agility privates are $90/hour

Is training there generally run as a business rather than voluntary?

...I have learned a lot by reading, taking classes and seminars, and one of the things I have learned is that you don't have to analyse the crap out of everything you do with your dog... (Emphasis mine)

You can't say it much more plainly than that -- a gem. I tend to anthropomorphize my dog, ascribing human motives, reactions and expressions to her, when all that needs to be done, IMO, is to observe the behavior she is now presenting, and respond appropriately as a dog trainer. For me, time/effort spent analyzing is best directed at how my selected training plan is working, and how to modify it to be reasonably effective.

"Recallers" online course...I'm not so sure. An inexpensive book or one from the library will have good ways to train recall, and obtain focus. The local in-person class from credentialed trainers was entitled "Dastardly Distractions" and did the job for us. We continually reinforce the progress made there on-our-own. -- TEC

Taking classes is not cheap. If I count up all the money I've spent on my dog it would make people cringe. However, I don't regret any of it.

Same. I think some people don't get the fact that my animals is simply how I choose to spend MY money (that and a snowboarding addiction during winter), get over it. I cringe when I hear of 100 dollar purses, fancy clothes, mall money wasting, I'm more of a trift shopper... but that is THEIR money none of my business how they spend it.

So not only is there no regret, there is not even a thought of regret at all, doesn't cross my mind. Its what I love, and money can buy certain happinesses.