BC Boards

Dogs on couches

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention that we don't allow dogs on the bed (except for a certain foster boy who sneaks up at 3:00 am and snuggles up tight). My own girl, Senneca won't come up on the bed, even if invited. But here's the odd thing. She was with a friend for two weeks over the new year while I was out of the country. It was pretty cold during that period, and I guess Senneca figured out the old saying "when in Rome...", because he reported that he slept snuggly with one dog on either side of him to keep him warm.

We had a no dogs on the furniture rule until Josie came into our lives. JJ still won't get up on the loveseat unless there's a storm then he wants to be between your back and the back of the loveseat. Jake and Josie have staked out their own sides.

DSC_0143_zps561957bd.jpg

Jake also likes pillows.

DSC_0189_zpsef4b7533.jpg

Life wouldn't be the same without pets on the furniture :-)

I grew up with outdoor dogs (though I snuck them in a lot) which made me a little crazy. When I got my first dog 4 years ago from day 1 he had no furniture, or outside rules, except when eating :-) I love it that way, nothing better than a dog to cuddle or be your pillow. He does prefer the floor a lot though, as he gets quite hot easily.

Funny enough, since I've gotten my own dog, our family dog has made his way indoors. First being allowed in during winter.... then to being allowed in the basement at night... to being allowed in the basement whenever he wants.. to the most recent picture mom sent me of Max upstairs in the living room, sprawled out on what looks like a very expensive oversized new dog bed. Complete with towels on the couch for the cats. :-)

I have this couch (and the loveseat too):

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/khaki-luxe-three-seat-sofa-canvas-slipcover-collection.do?&from=fn

Each piilow/piece of the sofa has it's own washable slipcover. So I can change the "cover" on the couch as needed. I have more than one slipcover for each couch so I can remove one to wash and put a new one one.

I have had the loveseat for going on 5 years and it has held up remarkably well. So much so that when I moved into my new (bigger) house I went and bought the larger sofa.

I love having my dogs on the furniture with me. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Our two puppies (about 5 months old) started off not allowed on the couch... We don't mind them on the bed but they can't jump that high yet so we have to pick them up....

They have recently decided that the couch is allowed. LOL... We don't mind if they are on it just lounging but we don't want them playing on it... They like to use it as a race track hahaha :)

Any ideas on how to distinguish the two in their minds?

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention that we don't allow dogs on the bed (except for a certain foster boy who sneaks up at 3:00 am and snuggles up tight). My own girl, Senneca won't come up on the bed, even if invited. But here's the odd thing. She was with a friend for two weeks over the new year while I was out of the country. It was pretty cold during that period, and I guess Senneca figured out the old saying "when in Rome...", because he reported that he slept snuggly with one dog on either side of him to keep him warm.

My friend's Boxers, Jake and Duke (the two best boxers in the whole world) aren't allowed on the bed when Stanley (her bf) is home. Even if Stanley isn't there you cannot get Duke (the older of the two) to get on any bed under his own volition. However, Jake will hop up if invited and when I spend the night he always sleeps with me in the bed downstairs whether Stanley is home or not.

...It was pretty cold during that period, and I guess Senneca figured out the old saying "when in Rome...", because he reported that he slept snuggly with one dog on either side of him to keep him warm.

Two Dog Night is lesser-known than Three Dog Night ;) . Three DN (Top 10 hit "Joy to the World") recorded primarily 1968 - 1975 and still performs live.

My dog jumps on our bed at night, likely for her own comfort and warmth, and to comply with the part of her job description which states, "defend and protect" :mellow: . Somehow she spreads-out and takes over much of it. Rule: no dogs on the furniture, with ample exceptions. -- TEC

As I type, two of my dogs are lounging next to me on my bed. Call us crazy, but we ended up buying a king size so the whole pack could fit! :P

All furniture is free game.

CIMG8113_zps7cb5cd0c.jpg

CIMG7776_zpscc7a6112.jpg

CIMG7484_zps2f377b57.jpg

photo33_zpsc43d33e2.jpg

When my husband proposed, I told him we had to have a king sized bed. We both had large dogs that slept with us. Now we have more smaller dogs, but none of them sleep with us. I don't mind the extra room, but I'd rather have the dog.

• 2 weeks later...

Star lays on the couch with me when I invite her up, and that is only when hubby isn't around. If he for some reason comes in the room (in from the garage, or back up after having gone to bed) she'll hear him coming and jump down. She doesn't usually stay very long; I think it's too warm for her. Seven can't get up there, unfortunately, so I try to lay down next to her on the floor sometimes, which she seems to like. One night, I was in bed reading and Star just jumped up uninvited and snuggled up against me. I couldn't resist. I guess we both fell asleep because I heard about it the next morning (though he commented on it with a chuckle, surprisingly!).