BC Boards

Suddenly marking in the house

It is a good thing we are replacing the carpet in the basement with tile instead of new carpet. Robin has peed in various places at least once a day since we started the project! This from a dog completely housebroken. Though he is neutered, it is obviously marking as he knows to ring the bell on the back door if he wants to go out.

I've not been able to catch him in the act so I am assuming it is him and not Brodie, but based on Robin's proclivity for marking posts outside, I'm pretty sure it is him. I've never seen Brodie mark anything.

How on earth do I get Robin to stop this behavior before I need to buy stock in Nature's Miracle?

Liz

Is he only doing it near your project? Wonder if you're stirring up old marking spots from other house dogs?

That was my thought too. I also would either contain him when you can't watch him (not necessarily to a crate, but maybe to the room you are in) and I also would deny him access to the basement for a while.

Good ideas! If it's just downstairs by the project, maybe don't allow him access to down there at all. I'd also consider a UTI as a possibility but if it's only once a day, that may be unlikely.

Good luck with this!

You're pulling up the flooring and he is only doing it there so I too think it is old scents that are now exposed that are causing him to mark. Did previous owners keep dogs down there? Levi has never pee'd inside either but when we moved my one cat started peeing on the drop cloth in the living room we were painting. I actually watched Levi mark the puddle of cat pee! Pretty funny actually, especially since it was pee from the cat he finds most annoying. Once the drop cloth was up the cat never pee'd there again and neither did Levi. I would suggest cleaning the floor and walls if necessary, well before allowing him back down or waiting until the new tile is down.

It doesn't even have to be pee if it's in the basement. Old moldy carpet or under old carpet mold, or other old smells can make him want to mark too.

I'd keep him out of the basement till you finish your rehab if possible.

I would agree with some sort of smell released by your renovation is causing Robin's brain to 'misfire'. Probably the easiest thing to do is to ban him from the basement until the project is finished. If he still does it after the project is complete, then back to the housebreaking routine already mentioned.

On a side note: many years ago (~30 years? I hate to admit), we were in the process of refinishing a wood floor. The floor had been sanded, and our dog proceeded to pee on it. We yelled at her and put her outside. 30 minutes later, we let her in. She peed on it. We yelled at her and put her outside. 30 minutes later, we let her in. She peed on it. We yelled at her and left her outside. Three times within a couple of hours!! Later, a carpenter told us that her response was not unusual since newly sanded floors (raw wood, no finish coats) do cause dogs to pee. I have never had a chance to replicate the experience to see if he was right. :)

Jovi

We yelled at her and left her outside. Three times within a couple of hours!! Later, a carpenter told us that her response was not unusual since newly sanded floors (raw wood, no finish coats) do cause dogs to pee. I have never had a chance to replicate the experience to see if he was right. :)/>

Jovi

Good to know - we are planning wood floors for upstairs when the budget allows.

It is really quite amazing how their minds work, isn't it?