BC Boards

Anti theft collars and leads

Hello all,

I was looking for opinions on anti theft collars and leads as I was considering purchasing a PetLoc product. Ed generally goes everywhere with me apart from if I nip out to the shop as I worry about tethering him outside in case somebody steals him. When I say nip out to the shop I literally mean for a quick loaf of bread or bottle of milk, not the big monthly food shop, so he wouldn't be left for long but I just can't bring myself to leave him!

Has anybody used these collars/leads and, if so, are they any good?

Many thanks,

Tracey.

I guess the most sure option is to leave him at home when you are going to the shop, since he spends most of his time with you otherwise. I know I'd love to be able to take my dog along on the walk to a store (if that was what I could do) but it would leave him vulnerable to being stolen.

Is that something that people worry about a lot? I live in a big city and i take Orbit with me almost everywhere when i go out. Rarely is there a day that goes by that he is not tied outside the store, library or cafe. Obviously i know that he could get stolen the same way that i know that i could get on a plane and it could crash. It is possible but not likely. Do dogs get stolen often where you live?

Tying your dog in front of a shop is always a bad idea. Locking leash/collar or no.

I've heard of (and seen) dogs untied or un-collared by humaniac types who think dogs should "be free." people can and will feed your dog inappropriate things. They will let their children approach and maul you dog. Some will tease or hit them. And they get stolen too.

There is a local grocery store down the block from me. I know of 3 incidents of dog stealing that have happened there.

If somebody is a dog thief, a locking leash or collar will not stop them. A small bolt-cutter will make short work of it.

Article & video about the rise in dog theft here. (Try to ignore the irritating AKC plug for their microchip/recovery service.)

http://www.today.com/id/23817557/site/todayshow/ns/today-today_pets_and_animals/t/pets-prey-alarming-rise-dognapping/#.UQ34i2cZ4cY

I think I would have a panic attack if someone forced me to leave my dog tied up outside of a store on a public street. Dogs get stolen all the time. Mostly from backyards where they are left unattended (just the other day a 6 wk old puppy was stolen from the 'breeders' yard, was all over the news here). Besides being stolen, what do you think people passing by will do? Ignore him? Many will pet him, kids will rush him, hug him, feed him food they are eating, other dogs will walk by with their owners and approach him, etc. I can't imagine leaving my dog alone tied to a post or something to deal with those situations and just trust that strangers will only do appropriate things to him. When I am with my dog, strangers do dumb things all the time-let their dogs rush us, let their kids run up to us, etc.

It is very rare to see someone leave a dog unattended, tied up outside of a store where I live. Puppytoes, Vancouver must be nice (and very different from where I live!) if you feel completely comfortable leaving your dog tied up alone in public. :) Even when we go into town, it is a very safe village but no one leaves their dogs alone and I still would not feel comfortable.

If you are just going to be gone for a few minutes I don't see why you wouldn't just leave the dog at home.

I do leave my dog outside stores briefly, the only incident of dog stealing I have ever heard of in the town I live in was a cute black lab puppy who got away from home and was last seen in the park outside Starbucks about 2 blocks from home. It has always been assumed that a tourist from out of town took him as they got zero response to a reward of $10,000.

I am careful were I do this though, l never leave him on a busy road and I only do it if it is to be a couple of minutes. My reason for doing this is that if it is a nice day and I want to walk to the post office, I simply want his company. The local liquor stores and banks are not a problem dogs are welcome.

I think the poster is from Europe?

I remember it being very common. As people take their dogs everywhere. The use bikes a lot and dogs come along. Stores had/have places for securing your dogs.

Passerbys had/have less interest as it is not that uncommon.

Dogs also appear(ed) to tolerate it better as it is a way of life with less seclusion.

Having said that, I would be nervous as I am not used to it anymore and I live rather secluded.

When my GSD got her BH (semi equivalent to the CGC) the traffic portion included, choosen by this particular judge, bicycles, walking up to a running car to answer a question and being tied outside a building with me being out of sight. And this judge did pet the dogs to see how their temperament was. At least the ones that appeared ok.

I find it so interesting that dog culture is so different from place to place. It is very common here to see dogs tied up outside of stores, restaurant patios, and coffee shops. Many places provide doggyy water dishes and some places even have little metal loops where ou can tie your dog up. It is not uncommon to see every pole or tree outside of some places to have a dog tied up to it.

It is true that you leave your dog outside to fend for itself and i guess bad things could happen while you are not there. Having said that, i have never seen anything like that happen to another dog. I would say that people here are quite dog friendly and pretty knowledgable. For the most part, parents teach their kids to ask and how to approach dogs and i have no problem with people petting Orbit as he loves people. Orbit has been exposed to this kind of a lifestyle from a very young age (although as a youngster he was not left outside alone - my husband or i would wait with him).

I take him out like this more now than i ever have because i have 2 small children and there is not nearly enough time for the off leash hiking that we used to do. I also walk him through our neighbourhood off leash and only leash him up at busy streets. He is very responsive to my directions and i feel confident that i can keep him safe. Not saying that something couldn't happen but I feel that right now, this is the best option for us. And yes, i am prepared to get yelled at.

I find it so interesting that dog culture is so different from place to place. It is very common here to see dogs tied up outside of stores, restaurant patios, and coffee shops. Many places provide doggyy water dishes and some places even have little metal loops where ou can tie your dog up. It is not uncommon to see every pole or tree outside of some places to have a dog tied up to it.

That sounds awesome! I have traveled to other places in the US where it was more accepted to leave dogs tied outside of stores. If we go into town, one of us usually waits outside with the dog. We did have one store owner invite the dog in (though it was an outdoor/hiking store).

Alligande: Where do you live that they allow dogs in liquor stores and banks? Banks would definitely not let that happen here! I am also amazed when in the past people have posted on here about Lowes allowing dogs-I have never seen a dog in our local Lowes. Since buying our house we are in there practically every other week and I would love to bring Levi!

Our local banks allow dogs inside. I found this out originally because a lovely women working at one was smiling at Wesley from where we were outside, and then she came outside and told us they were dog friendly, and to come on in! I was very much surprised. Most clothing stores around here do, as well. Definitely The Gap & Old Navy. I've found that most chain stores around here that are not food-related allow dogs, I've been looking into it recently.

I did tie up Wesley once, outside an ice cream store in the summer. He was in my sight though. I really couldn't feel comfortable leaving a dog outside tied up unless I could see them.

I live in Newport, RI. When my dog and I run together I plan our run in warmer weather around those business's that have water bowls outside. The town is not as dog friendly as puppytoes describes but in summer you see dogs everywhere tied to bike racks, lamp posts etc. I am more cautious with my young dog as he is not socially outgoing, my late old lady who was GSDx loved all people and especially children was happy to be left anywhere, she made friends very easily.

I am also amazed when in the past people have posted on here about Lowes allowing dogs-I have never seen a dog in our local Lowes. Since buying our house we are in there practically every other week and I would love to bring Levi!

Usually it's only dog savvy people that take their dogs their for training opportunities, etc.

So just ask :) There is no company policy against dogs in the store and since they don't sell food they don't fall under food safety guidelines so just ask your local store and make sure they are fine with it.

And pretty much any place that doesn't sell food could be fine with you bringing your dog in - just check first.

In at least one small town in my area, (an hour north of San Francisco), leaving your dog tied in a public place while you step away is considered abandonment. A friend of mine who lives there tied her small dog to a newspaper machine while she went in a store, just for a minute.

This dog has issues, which I have pointed out to said friend a few times. He jumped out from under the paper machine and attacked a larger dog being walked by on a leash. Larger dog did a number on friend's dog before the owner could get him away.

Friend asked larger dog's owner to pay for vet bills. Larger dog's owner informed her of the legal issues. Friend is still in massive denial about her dog's issues.

Anyway, check your local laws/ordinances! And know your dog.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs, who doesn't care for strangers approaching him

I live in a small town...we have about 4 restaurants, one gas station, one grovery store and a Starbucks. Often, I will go there in spring/summer and take a couple of dogs. Stake out a table, down them and go in and order. If needed, I tie them to table but 99% of the time, I do not. The dogs are Tess, Maid, Rain and Nan. People go up to them and pet/feed them and they know to stay on a down. I can see them thru the window and we do not get a lot of people traffic. After I get my order, I eat my meal outside and the girls get some.

But when I lived in the city (Bellevue- next to Seattle), I never took my dogs to places like that. In the country, we are a lot more laid back. The restaurant owners now recognize the dogs and give them treats. rainey, being the princess, after I let her off the down, will wander table to table, being the social butterfly. It's amazing to see people who are sad looking, then have Rainey nuzzle them, suddenly get happy and pet the dogs. Great way to meet the local people.

I used to live in a town where everyone took their dogs everywhere and tied them up outside whichever shops that they couldn't go in. When there are loads of dog lovers around, my experience was that they watched out for each other. Many times one dog owner would stand and watch over all the dogs until somebody behaving questionably passed on by and that sort of thing. One particular store, in an area known for too many unsupervised teens, would meet you at the door to help you with whatever you needed so you didn't need to be out of sight of your dog.

Many non-food stores are happy to have your dog join you. In fact, both of the banks that i go to, as well as home depot and the video store (before it became obselete and went under)have treats behind the counter. I have been shopping downtown during the week when it has not been busy and brought Orbit inside stores while i tried on clothing.

As far as laws go, it is possible that we have them here too but they are not enforced. At least, i have never run into an animal control officer anywhere but places where dogs are forbidden (beach, kids parks etc.).

By the way, sorry for hijacking this post. I didn't know that you could get anti-theft devices for your dog but i have often wondered about having a gps chip included when microchipping. Does that exist? It seems that it would cut down on lost/stolen dogs.

I don't see dogs commonly left outside stores here, but I have done it. not usually leashed unless I am training, Happy used to(back when I was a student lol) come with my friends and I everywhere, off leash. we would go to someone house or stop by a store and I would just tell Happy to wait outside while we went in. I never had an issue, everyone in the area was so used to seeing her that good luck to anyone who tried to do anything to her.. often times staff would come out on a smoke break and hang with Happy etc.. I also usually take her with me to the Mr Sub on the corner of my block, I just leave her in a down stay on the bench out front, people walk past her with all kinds of food and yummy smells and talk to her etc.. she doesn't budge from her spot. as for going IN stores.. not happening here, even places like home depot and Lows and Rona have giant NO DOGS signs at the entrances..dogs are allow in Peavy Mart once a year for Halloween though.. and I take dogs with me into the bank entryway where the machines are when they are closed.

The OP may be from Europe or the British Isles, but a recent posting on FB from over there concerning dog theft (which seems to be on the rise, at least in some areas) listed tying dogs outside shops to be a prime theft opportunity (along with leaving dogs in cars, these two were listed as the top two risks).

My brother and I were babies back in the day when it was common to leave a baby carriage outside a small shop, or to leave a dog tethered there. I am sure "bad things" happened back then, too, but it was common to do this and you wouldn't get arrested for "endangerment" or "neglect" like you might today.

The times are changing but maybe more than that, people's perceptions of what is acceptable are changing.

Interesting to see the variances from place to place. I grew up in a smallish farming and ranching community where it was very common to see cowdogs lounging on their owner's flatbed, not tied, at a restaurant, Co-Op, hardware store, bank, John Deere house, everywhere. The dogs never ever come inside, anywhere, but almost always ride into town with their humans on the bed of their flatbed pickups (let's not get into the obvious safety issues with that).

You simply don't mess with a cowboy's dog or horse unless you want to see their shotgun, too (their woman on the other hand might be fair game laugh.gif). No one watched them, I just can't imagine someone going up to them. They really weren't worth stealing either- "cowdog" basically meant "god only knows how many breeds are in that thing's ancestry" and around there, dogs aren't trained to herd, just to stay with the riders- the horses are what move the cattle. They might be able to help flank or even possibly go get a heifer that broke loose, but certainly weren't the type of dog anyone would risk stealing. No nut jobs "freeing" them either. Not sure how they would anyway, since they weren't tied...Our dogs were "spoiled" because our pickups had a regular bed, not a flatbed. And they never went anywhere with us except the farm and the vet. The house we lived in when I was very little didn't have a fenced yard...none of them did (many still do not). Our dog never wandered more than a hundred yards from the house.

I can't imagine the reactions you would get if you tried to bring a dog into an establishment, even the Co-Op. Dogs just stay outside. My dad always tell the story of an old rancher he knew whose dog wouldn't stay in the bed of his pickup- he always jumped up on the roof. The old rancher got tired of trying to make him stop so he just stapled some old carpet to the roof of his pickup so the dog would at least have some traction! It's just the way things are done there.

What was the original topic again? tongue.gif

Those of you who live in places where dog thefts occur, what are people stealing them for? Are the being stolen by people wanting a pet? To research lab? For reward money?

I adopted Orbit from a rural shelter in Idaho for $125 and they neytured him, vaccinated him, gave me a bag of dog food and a collar. I can't imagine that it is worth trying to steal one in broad daylight when getting one honestly is not very expensive.

Purebred pups or intact adults are stolen as a pet or to breed.

Any dog can be stolen to go to a research lab or as a bait dog for a fighting dog ring.

I suppose some people take animals for the reward money, but not often.

Most seem to steal them so they can sell them. They put a free ad on Craigslist or sell to someone they know and obviously lie about where the dog came from. I see pets for sale on Craigslist all the time for $100 to $300 (obviously these are not all stolen dogs) Pretty good money for no effort. A girl I used to work with would take "free to good home dogs" off Craigslist and re list them with no photo for $100 or more. These were grown dogs with no vet records and yet people pay it when you can go to the shelters and pay less for a fully vetted dog. She would make up stories about rescuing them from bad homes or how she worked long hours. A ladies house was just raided near me with 60 Pomeranians. She bred and sold them on Craigslist and kijji

I leave my dogs tied outside stores pretty often. My Aussie comes with me just about everywhere so I don't much mind leaving her tied out in front of a grocery store or the LCBO, etc. She comes into any store I enter that doesn't serve food (I am mindful to check to make sure it's okay). I'll tie her up outside as long as there's a safe spot a bit away from the road and within sight of a window so I can keep tabs on her. I've considered an anti-theft tie for her, but ultimately I've decided it was a bit paranoid. I admit, I feel more comfortable when I tie the two dogs out together since the Chihuahua is barky and doesn't like being approached by strangers and acts as a decent alarm. I just keep my trips inside as short as possible.