BC Boards

wellness

Hey boards, it's been a while. Hope everyone's doing well! This might be in the wrong board, and if it is, I apologize!

About a month ago, I switched Brady to Wellness because it was available at the local Co-Op in town and I didn't want to have to continue shipping Acana to my house; it's just easier to be able to pick up his food in town. At first there were no issues, he seems really enjoy it and never refuses it. Lately, however, we've been having some issues. He had a minor blockage a few weeks ago after he decided to eat a toy (to keep Mhya from playing with it, too) but after some vet attention, it passed and his stools returned to normal. The last 24 hours he's been having really runningy/watery stools. They're not miscolored in any way and there's nothing super malodorous about them, it's just...diarrhea. He DOES have a sensitive stomach, which is why I keep him on the gentler fish based formulas, but prior to the blockage he never appeared to have an issue. I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with the food? And what would be a better replacement for it? I want to keep him on a high quality food that's grain free, but I also don't want him to have this continuous issue.

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated, as always! :)

I have used Wellness for my dogs quite often. I don't feed Wellness continually because I like to change out the food I feed my dogs. That is just me. It has nothing to do with the Wellness brand. My dogs have done well on Wellness. I will probably be feeding it to them again in the future.

Based on what you have described, I would not think that the Wellness dog food is the issue. I would be considering that his diarrhea could be a related to the blockage, but more likely, it could be totally unrelated - i.e. not related to the food you feed or the blockage. Could he have eaten something outside? How is his general appetite and demeanor?

Jovi

I've used Wellness (core - all three flavors) off and on for a few years now with no issues.

Dogs do sometimes just get diarrhea, and if this clears up in a reasonable amount of time and doesn't become a recurrent problem, I'd be inclined to think he just ate something outside.

Give him a couple of tablespoons of canned pumpkin each time he has a loose bowel movement. It'll firm things up pretty quickly.

We are in the process of gradually moving our BC over to Wellness (white fish and sweet potato formula). Our vet recommended getting him off food that contains chicken so we decided to try this as it's one of the few foods I could find that doesn't have any chicken in it. He's not been having any issues at all and really loves the food. I agree that it's probably not related to the food but to something else.

He's been relatively the same other than the diarrhea. He still wants to play constantly, still eats with earnest, is drinking water at the same rate. He does ask to go out more often, but I think that's a given with the diarrhea aspect. Everything else about him is pretty much normal. It's definitely possible he could have eaten something outside, he's one of those types that puts everything in his mouth to try and figure out what it is. Usually that only happens if I'm not paying attention, but Brady can be pretty covert sometimes. I've also thrown out any cloth toys that he could have gotten a hold of recently (I am not going through that blockage thing again. It was awful. ): ).

I'll try out the pumpkin to see if it helps, but on the off chance that he does still have a blockage would that make it worse?

Thank you guys for responding!

No the pumpkin won't make it any worse. When did he have the blockage? You might want to give probiotics and digestive enzymes until his intestines are sorted out. Something could have thrown off the balance in his gut.

That's good to know, thank you!

It happened about a little over a week ago. I'll pick up some plain yogurt at the store today to add to his dinner (which I think will end up being boiled chicken and rice to see if that helps too). I just want him to feel better. The last two weeks have been awful on his tummy. :(/>

eta --

Thank you Dave! I have that site favorited in my browser bar!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to dig up an older post, just wanted to update! :)

Everything sorted itself out, he probably just ate something and it didn't agree with his system. I do think that Wellness might not be the food for us because he doesn't seem to be doing as well on it as he did on Acana Pacifica, even though they're both fish based formulas. I suppose it'll be back to ordering it online from now on.

Taste or the wild has a salmon choice. You might try that one. If I only fed that flavor and didn't switch around a bit with in TOTW one of my dogs would lose weight, it was the lowest calorie choice between TOTW foods.