BC Boards

Can you track down a ABCA Collie's litter mates/lineage?

Hey All,

I have a border and I was wondering he is ABCA reg I was wondering if there was a way to find past family or any of the same litter that are "working" dogs? Just curious, I would like to see if any of his past family has any health problems or any eye problems like he may have.

I know you can do it on AKC,CKC and UKC...... There is a big difference!

Thanks in advance.

Do you not know the breeder? My first answer would be to ask the breeder for the names of other owners, but if you got the dog through some other means and don't know the breeder that idea won't work.

In the smaller working dog community many dogs and their lines are known, but of course ABCA registration doesn't necessarily mean working bred, so it's possible that no one would know your dog. You could post the pedigree here (either upload a photo or use Sitstay's pedigree generator) and then ask folks if they know any of the dogs. People would at least PM you if they know something.

ABCA doesn't have a registry of health issues, and even if it did, if it requires self reporting, then I don't know how accurate it could be.

J.

Wow.

Uh Cressa my girl is a relative (Ted CBCA 682 is her great grandfather). Kind of funny since I have been searching for a relations of her without success.

We just gotten into herding so can't really help. She is really healthy though and is the best agility dog EVER! ;)/> not bias.

I realize they are only slightly related but she has no eye problems. I know Cressa has a sister working on a farm without any problems.

Good luck on finding anymore info about your dogs relations.

haha that's awesome!! Still somewhat related!!! The vet doesn't think its inherited just something he has, but can't hurt having a look around :)

I don't know anyone, I tried emailing Dennis but he never responded. And I cant' remember exactly the way to the place I got Ruger from. It was near an Indian reserve an hour from here at least. (we have two of them near me) I suppose I could mail him a letter but if he doesn't respond to my emails then I'm not thinking he will respond to a letter I've mailed either......

I sent you a pm but thought I would also post in case you don't see it. If you search for Dennis Nutt on the boards you'll find a post by another member who has two dogs from him. Unfortunately it does not sound like the guy is the most responsible "breeder" and may never respond to you.

I don't know the breeder mentioned above but a quick Google search led me to believe I would not want anything to do with getting a pup from him. Just my impression. Posting pups for sale on FB or a general internet ad (www.adpost.com) does not sound like what a responsible breeder would do.

Carol Campion owned whiterose kep; There are quite a few of his puppies around. the only other one i recognize is Amanda's Craig that she imported. Lots of those about, although I don't know the bitch Craig was bred to. Len Hilderley has been in sheep quite some time. I know he does ultrasound on flocks in Ontario so he may sell to local farmers when he breeds dogs. The Browns run a flock of southdown sheep and shorthorn cattle in Western Ontario. That's as far as I can help

Cynthia

Yes I have noticed he is no longer a "responsible" breeder. When we first got him he would always reply to what ever it was I had to say. Photos or anything. But that was 3 years ago now. When I mentioned Ruger's bad habits to him he never replied back. Ah well what can you do. He needed a home either way, I'm glad he got a responsible owner not ended up in some pound or wherever puppies that don't sell go.

But its a learning experience. I bought my GSD of Kijiji and I'm still in contact with his breeder even after she moved to England 3 years ago. I have to send her Christmas cards and all of that. She sends him cards in the mail and everything. These were the first purebred dogs we've ever had that have had papers or anything of the sort. It's all a learning experience.... I usually just rescue dogs never buy them. I have two I bought and one rescue right now, of dogs that is. Of rescues in total.... 10 rescues in this house at the moment of all kinds.

Hi, I know you already PMed me, but now that I see your pedigree on this thread I can tell you that your dog is a full sibling to both Juno and Coby.

While Dennis Nutt is not a responsible breeder (the more I deal with him & discover about him, the less thrilled I am with him), he did somehow manage to produce some pretty superb dogs. I would never get a dog from him again, nor would I recommend that anybody else get a dog from him. That being said, Juno is an amazing working dog, doing VERY well in her training, high drive and very eager to please. Coby is doing very well also, though he hasn't had the level of training that Juno has had, mostly because I am waiting for spring before I really get going with him. They both have great instinct and are very easy to train. I got lucky, I suppose!

Craig is also the sire of Amanda's great Ethel as well as my own dog Rye and many other good working dogs.

Ohh...and Craig won a fair number of trials himself including one really big one :)/>

Craig is in my boys' pedigree as well - great-grandfather in the male line.