BC Boards

Newborns can't stand

RoseAmy

Hi,

My friend posted on the sheep production forum but thought I would ask here.

Yesterday she had a ewe lamb and the baby could not stand..had like no control of its legs..She bottle fed it and the held it to nurse from its mom..Gave it some nuti dench. It died this morning. Kind of thought it was just one of those things.

This afternoon she had twins born and same thing...She has never seen this before and already had about 15 lambs on the ground with no problems..

Any advice before she loses these too.

My first thought was selenium deficiency also.

There should be an injectable version for sheep (it's been years since I used injectable selenium, and we used Mu-Se or Bo-Se, depending on whether it was sheep, goats, or cattle).

If it is selenium deficiency and the newborn is injected, positive results should be seen fairly soon.

My first thought was selenium deficiency also.

There should be an injectable version for sheep (it's been years since I used injectable selenium, and we used Mu-Se or Bo-Se, depending on whether it was sheep, goats, or cattle).

If it is selenium deficiency and the newborn is injected, positive results should be seen fairly soon.

That was others said but the first lamb and these was given bo-se. Also someone said that it didn't sound like white muscle but like flobby lamb disease. Which I guess can be caused by an abortion virus..but she has a closed flock.

It just weird that the first 15 lambs have been hit the ground fat and rearing to go..and now three in a row have this problem.

Hmmm - closed flock? Genetic? i.e. how related are these two moms to each other vs. related to the other moms that have already given birth? Who is the sire for these two pregnancies vs. the other pregnancies? (It's a long shot, but mention it just to cover that base.)

Or - sometimes "just one of those things" happens twice in a row, but I do agree that there may be a specific cause if 2 in a row have the same birthing problems.

Jovi