BC Boards

Jumping high

I have a 9 month old border collie that loves to catch the frisbee. However, she does not jump high in the air to catch it. In fact she doesn't even leave the ground. We witnessed a border collie a little older than she is leaping high into the air to catch the frisbee as everyone knows border collies are famous for doing. I asked the owner if thy did ny training with her to get her to jump high in the air and she said no it just came naturally to her at 6 months of age? Will my border collie eventually do this or should I be doing som type of training with her?

post-14627-096764900 1358994497_thumb.jpg

I have a 9 month old border collie that loves to catch the frisbee. However, she does not jump high in the air to catch it. In fact she doesn't even leave the ground. We witnessed a border collie a little older than she is leaping high into the air to catch the frisbee as everyone knows border collies are famous for doing. I asked the owner if thy did ny training with her to get her to jump high in the air and she said no it just came naturally to her at 6 months of age? Will my border collie eventually do this or should I be doing som type of training with her?

I am sure the moderator will move your post to a more appropriate section. This section is only for an expert to answer questions related to training for stockwork.

That said, I will make a few comments about your questions regarding frisbee play with your pup. First, perhaps you should be thankful that your dog does not jump high for the frisbee. Young dogs should not be jumping high for the frisbee until the growth plates have closed - somewhere around 12-15 months of age for a BC. A young dog that is overworked with repetitive jumping and twisting activities, such as when playing with a disc, is at very high risk of injury, both short-term and long-term. Second, some BCs have a build and/or drive that cause them to naturally jump high for the disc - and some don't. My dog is not a high-jumper for frisbee - which I play very, very infrequently with him due to the injury potential. As he has matured, I have noticed that he is jumping a bit higher than when he was young. Perhaps due to more confidence? or better coordination? or increased muscle? Since frisbee is only an occasional activity, I don't worry about it.

At the age of your pup, if you want to play frisbee AND reduce the risk for injury, I would only be throwing the disc for rollers or throwing it very low to the ground so he can catch it without jumping. Let him grow up first, then start serious disc training if you wish. You can teach an older dog all the cool frisbee tricks. They don't have to start the jumps and flips, etc. when they are pups.

Good Luck with your pup,

Jovi

• 6 months later...

We rescued a female Border/Aussie in April and she just naturally would want to jump and slightly twist her body in that very beautiful way that BC's do. However my hubby immediately had me halt the frisbee tossing because she was only 5 months when we rescued her, and only 9 months right now, and he was worried about knees and hips. I know at SOME point it will be ok, within reason, but as expensive as these issues are to repair, who needs it.