BC Boards

Course analysis

Hello all :)

I'm looking for articles, videos, blogs, whatever resources on the web with a focus on course analysis. You know the ones where they analyze how someone ran it (Mistakes, good moves, slow motion video and pausing to talk about something) or think it should be ran. Something comparing different handling moves and espescially timing.

Anything would be appreciated!

I think that Clean Run had a series a while back (1 or 2 or 3 years ago? - my mind is drawing a blank) in which 3 handlers explained how they would run the same course. That might be a start.

I would also like to hear if anyone knows of resources for course analysis.

Just my 2 cents: course analysis can be very individual (it depends on the team - how the dog runs and how the handler runs). In my class, when the instructor discusses the course, she will recommend that one team may want to use a front cross, but another team may want to use a rear cross at a general location within the course.

Jovi

Yeah, I agree with that. Although when I'm watching course analysis I'm looking for timing and positional cues. Where the handler is and when they are signaling whatever move they choose to use. What side they are wrapping a dog, or what side they are handling. I guess I should just start watching videos in slow mo!

agilitynerd just made this post: http://agilitycourses.com/en/blog/2013/being-sociable "I would like agilitycourses.com to become a place where people can design, analyze, and discuss training courses" Which is a fantastic idea, I've been thinking of starting my own website with this same sort of idea, but I hope he continues to create it and people participate, less work for me!

• 2 weeks later...

There's also a DVD on CleanRun called "Walking the Course." It is specifically about one course. A big name handler (sorry don't know her name- lol) walks you through and shows you numerous different options. I don't think there's anything mind blowing in there- but if you're on a mission for course analysis, it should be right up your alley.

CleanRun also has an entire subsection dedicated to course analysis. Not surprisingly, you'll find a few books on handling systems in there.

In my last agility class, my instructor let me run her ultra fast BC. (No, really- she placed 6th in semi finals in PGP at the nationals last year. Unfortunately missed his weave entry in finals. She really does have very, very fast dogs!) I think the fact that I love and study handling systems helps me to understand and execute a good handling strategy on the fast dog. I handled him from the front, and was able to stay ahead. My opinion is that course analysis begins with the study of handling systems. (I didn't say embracing a handling system- I said studying handling systems.) The more options you're aware of, the better you will be at applying those options to analyzing a course.

Funny- so I looked up who the "big name" is in that DVD, and it's Kathy Keats- who owns "The Agility Coach." I've never been to the site, so I just went there to check it out. What do I find?

"The Art of Reading Agility Courses."

"Do you have trouble seeing all the options? Do you get caught when your dog does something you don't expect? This course will help you to understand the dynamics of an agility course better so that you can come up with the best plan for your team! Not only will you receive a ton of valuable information and diagrams in the e-book, you also get the bonus of access to over one hour of video chalk talks!"

I like that idea of exploring different handling systems to explore course analysis, how do YOU personally go about that? Any good book suggestions and maybe some none mainstream systems you could share. I started out with I'm going to call it a modified derrett system, to full derrett, to now eh, I'm exploring again. I heard daisy peel is going to Vancouver area in march, I'm going to see if i can audit that I it isn't too late.

I'm also considering the option of online courses with different systems, starting at foundations, If I like what they are doing go through more courses.

Any suggestions on books, courses, whatever to look into. There's so much books etc that its hard to know whatto buy!

How do I personally go about it? Well, I'm not much of a reader; I'm really slow at it. So I personally prefer to rent or buy DVDs. Or, a cheaper option that I do regularly- as in, a LOT- is just browse youtube for big name runners and study their handling styles- especially in the challenging FCI or WAO World level courses. I eat up those videos!! If you truly want to see this in action, I can point you to a post I made just today doing exactly that-- watching Tori Self and her amazing Rev do some very fine handling! She did an interesting move that I wanted to learn more about. Here's me learning more about it:

Jaakko turn vs Ketschker turn

-Youtube

-AgilityNerd

-Anything on CleanRun

-WorldTeam fundraisers are GREAT places to learn handling skills! They often have ebooks FULL of useful info! (Support your 2013 WAO Agility Team!)

-Lots of running/handling! Take video. Watch the video back. Dissect why what you thought would work didn't work. Watch what you're doing and how you can improve. I post lots of short clips of myself trying out new handling sequences on youtube regularly. For example,

. Or really
!

-I started a "Course of the Week" club on the GSD forum. There we posted challenging (well, *I* posted challenging) courses and dissected them.

. This was a great way to learn different sequencing options. When you run it one way, and then see video of someone else run it differently- it really opens your eyes to possibilities!

-Finally, I'd say another way to learn is to get the best instructor you can find/afford. I'm so incredibly happy with my current instructor. She runs agility aggressively. I love that! She's there to run HARD, FAST, and WIN! She's an amazing wealth of info, and I'm sure she gets tired of my finding FCI World's courses to post on her FB page and ask her questions about them... ;)/>/>/>

Thank you! Great ideas!! I've got 5 days vacation out of town between a workshop and a trial and I'll be needing something for the downtime, new obsession!

Also came aross this, this morning. http://baddogagility.com/serpentines-and-ketschkers-analysis-of-daisy-peels-isc-jumpers-run/#comments hvaent watched it yet, but I heard its good.

wildo - great ideas. and good grief - another term that I have to learn? :D I just learned about the Ketschker move (and am in the process of teaching it to my dog), but now there is also a Jaakko turn? :):D The next step is learning when to use such maneuvers.

Chantal - I was going to suggest Bad Dog Agility too. This is where I came across a short video showing Daisy Peel working on the Ketshcker turn.

With regard to agility instructors - I have taken some workshops with visiting agility instructors (when time allows and if they come to the boondocks), but locally, the instructors are not on a high competitive level. Nor do any of them run a really fast dog, which in turn affects their teaching and handling strategies. So consider yourself lucky to have such a wonderful resource, and thank you again for great suggestions.

Happy Trialing!

Jovi

I have a great instructor now too, although I'm moving back home soon, and the club is volunteer run, I love it, awesome group of people, but were all at the same level so I'm really trying to gather information to keep myself focussed on the goals and current.

Are there any great agility forums online that aren't breed specific?

Are there any great agility forums online that aren't breed specific?

I wish! I've searched and searched and found few. Actually- that's how I found this forum- looking for an agility forum (and to get BC info). But I have to say even our GSD agility forum is more active than this one. Having said that, I still get frustrated with the lack of activity there. I'd LOVE to find an actual ACTIVE agility forum.

I read some big name player (I have a terrible memory, btw!) say recently when asked how often they practice agility: "I practice maybe 5-10 minutes per day, but I think about it constantly!" That is sooooooo me.

and good grief - another term that I have to learn? :D/>/> I just learned about the Ketschker move (and am in the process of teaching it to my dog), but now there is also a Jaakko turn? :)/>

There are some who believe (Tori Self included) that all of the names for maneuvers that have minute differences are pretty ridiculous. For her, that move was just a straight blind cross followed by a curved blind cross- nothing more, nothing less. That's what I love about agility: no, you don't have to learn a new term. You can take it as deep as you want to!

There are some who believe (Tori Self included) that all of the names for maneuvers that have minute differences are pretty ridiculous. For her, that move was just a straight blind cross followed by a curved blind cross- nothing more, nothing less. That's what I love about agility: no, you don't have to learn a new term. You can take it as deep as you want to!

Any favourite blogs to share too, while we are on a sharing theme...? :-) we all seem to be alike in our agility minds and research, love to see wat you already have. I'm just starting to organize myself, I'd love to make a we page or something that organizes everything neatly so i could have everything on the go.

Perusing the GSD board now, lots on that! Thanks!

No- no real blogs to share, I can never remember them LOL!

I frequent FB, the GSD forum, and this forum. I love AgilityNerd, but tend to only get there when I see Steve post something on FB. Same goes for Susan Garrett's webpage and Daisy Peel's webpage. I tend to only get to those pages when I see activity via FB. If I were smart, I'd set up an RSS feed, but oh well.

Sorry- in the blog respect, I'm pretty boring. I find that I tend to seek out info more than just randomly stumbling on it.

[EDIT]- I will note though that if you're looking for blogs, the Dog Agility Blog Events website would be a GREAT way to find new agility blogs!

http://dog-agility-blog-events.posterous.com/pages/the-blogs