BC Boards

Learning to raise a puppy

Yes, I agree -- walking, and more walking. Also, mental games. These have been suggested many times on these boards. Search the archives for suggestions.

I wouldn't use drugs to keep her calm. Just my personal opinion, but I don't want to subject my dog to drugs if not necessary.

Jovi

Sedatives are not my preference either (personally I even avoid taking asperin or tylnol unless I get a really bad headache), but when I asked my vet what if she tears open her stitches and the vet said she didn't even want to go there, so that made me very concerned about Xena's tendency to get hyper active without some strenous exercise, I'm not sure if just walking would satisfy her need for exercise.

As far as mental toys, I was looking at some of them on the PetSmart web site and they seems to have small pieces included, and my dog is still in that stage of thinking everything is a chew toy so I have to be careful giving her anything she might be tempted to chew up and swallow.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I am being over concerned, are stitches tearing open a rare occurance ?

It just seems like 2 weeks without being able to have regular normal exercise is going to be tough for a dog like Xena who loves to run hard and fast and get her exercise every day.

Walks n more walks and games n tricks. Yes, stitches can open, use this time to work on heeling games, stay with me games, etc. sit games, stay games. There is plenty of fun, learning you can do to tire her out without her having to run and chase a ball in order to be exercised...

Walks n more walks and games n tricks. Yes, stitches can open, use this time to work on heeling games, stay with me games, etc. sit games, stay games. There is plenty of fun, learning you can do to tire her out without her having to run and chase a ball in order to be exercised...

Thanks, but I don't know if Xena is going to be content with quiet non-active games, she is just so energentic that everything she does seems to be with gusto :P

The vet never explained what can happen if the stitches tear open, but she made it sound extremely serious when she simply replied "I don't want to go there", so I am hoping it is something that is very rare and does not happen all that often.

Thanks, but I don't know if Xena is going to be content with quiet non-active games, she is just so energentic that everything she does seems to be with gusto :P/>

I think you are missing the point everyone is trying to make-if you use her brain and teach her tricks and games, she will calm down. You need to teach her things and ask her to think though. She is only used to running and mindlessly chasing a ball as her activity. If you took her for walks she would be using her brain showing self control and exploring new scents and sights. Think of a kid in school all day-all that thinking and focusing tires them out. The more you teach her the better behaved she will be. If all she ever does is play chase all she will ever do is expect it and never learn to problem solve, offer new behaviors , settle etc. Just go to you tube and search dog trick tutorial to get ideas. Dont let her dictate things (saying she won't be happy doing something other than chase/fetch) , show her that at times we go for a walk, other times we learn tricks and you need to focus on me and other times we run and play.

I think you are missing the point everyone is trying to make-if you use her brain and teach her tricks and games, she will calm down. You need to teach her things and ask her to think though. She is only used to running and mindlessly chasing a ball as her activity. If you took her for walks she would be using her brain showing self control and exploring new scents and sights. Think of a kid in school all day-all that thinking and focusing tires them out. The more you teach her the better behaved she will be. If all she ever does is play chase all she will ever do is expect it and never learn to problem solve, offer new behaviors , settle etc. Just go to you tube and search dog trick tutorial to get ideas. Dont let her dictate things (saying she won't be happy doing something other than chase/fetch) , show her that at times we go for a walk, other times we learn tricks and you need to focus on me and other times we run and play.

ok, I understand what you are saying. I could try teaching her the names of specific toys to grab and give to me, like the green ball, the brown bone, ect. Also, I wonder how well those balls with the holes in them work, where the dog has to figure out how to get the treat out of it.

I have used the IQ treat ball from amazon.com and I also used to cut a few small holes in a water bottle and filled with kibble (only after he already understood how to push it to get food out, you can show her how so she doesn't just chew it). You can teach her an endless amount of tricks but simple ones for a puppy can be roll over,play dead, spin/twirl, all four paws in a box/object that you gradually make smaller, sit pretty, and so on. You tube is a great place to see videos with step by step instructions If you aren't familiar with the trick or how to teach it. My dog begs to do tricks (when we taught pivoting and left his box out that he would pivot on, he would on his own go over and stand on it!) and your girl will love learning too. It is a great way to have fun together and build a bond.

I have used the IQ treat ball from amazon.com and I also used to cut a few small holes in a water bottle and filled with kibble (only after he already understood how to push it to get food out, you can show her how so she doesn't just chew it). You can teach her an endless amount of tricks but simple ones for a puppy can be roll over,play dead, spin/twirl, all four paws in a box/object that you gradually make smaller, sit pretty, and so on. You tube is a great place to see videos with step by step instructions If you aren't familiar with the trick or how to teach it. My dog begs to do tricks (when we taught pivoting and left his box out that he would pivot on, he would on his own go over and stand on it!) and your girl will love learning too. It is a great way to have fun together and build a bond.

That IQ treat ball was highly rated by customers who bought one, I wish we had a place close by that sold them so I could get one quick before her spaying, but all we have close by is a Walmart and they have a poor secection to choose from.

update on the IQ treat ball: I was checking more of the reviews and it seems that people with dogs who are "power chewers" do not have the same success as others have had. My dog is a "power chewer" (hopefully she will outgrow that) and I have to be very choosey in finding toys that are relatively indestructable, so my search for a fairly indestructable treat ball continues.....

I had put a basketball in her pen just to see how she would react to it and occasionally she will agressively chase it around with her nose, and other times she will stand on it with her front paws, so maybe I'll be able to teach her to walk with her paws on it. (sometimes she will try to balance her toys on top of it :)

I wish they made a harness that was chew proof !

After she chewed thru her first harness we got one that seemed sturdier, and even though I usually take off her harness after bringing her back in the house, yesterday I forgot till only about 5 minutes after I put her in her indoor pen, but that fast she had the middle strap chewed thru. So I improvised and used her small puppy collar she outgrew to replace the chewed strap and so far it seems to be working ok.

I have to have her on a harness when outside even though she is always supervised because she loves to run fast and I have her leash hooked up to an overhead trolly and if she overruns the trolley length being on a harness does not seem to hurt her like a collar hook up would. (the trolly line is probally about 75 to 80 feet long so she has a lot of room to play :)

I would not do games, like having her put her front feet on ball to balance, until a few weeks after her spay. She will be using her stomach muscles to balance, think "core muscles". Go to YouTube n type in puppy tricks to get some ideas.

She is way past old enough to learn to stay close to you on walks, I'm thinking this will tax her mentally as well. Just make sure you do short sessions then release her to go sniff, then call her back n keep her next to you, then go sniff, etc. think of it all as a game you play with your pup n it will become one for her too.

I am curious...all she does outside is be tethered to her run or chase ball? Is she always in her pen when in the house?

Xena has gotten better as far as not biting and nipping our hands all the time like she used to - but with the exception of when I try to put on her harness, or put on or take off her leash, or especially when I try to bring her back in the house (even after she has been playing so hard you can tell she is tired and done playing) it is like her wild side comes out at those times, then afterwards she can act sweet and loveable again.

We are still trying to figure out how to get her to not bark so easily and ongoing, if it was just a few barks it wouldn't be as bad, but sometimes she can bark almost nonstop for 10 to 20 minutes or so, even when we know there should not be any urgent need as she will have recently gone potty, has food, has been given attention recently ect.

I didn't mean to imply that the basketball trick would be during her recovery time.

She does still tend to pull on the leash when I walk her, I have not yet been able to train her out of that.

I do take her for occasional walks on the leash, but since our yard is not fenced in I have to tether her to the trolley line for play time, she looks forward to chasing balls and bringing them back (sometimes she will run with them and play keep away) and she wil chase other toys I throw. The trolley is about 75 to 80 feet long so she does have a lot of room to move around in.

She has to be in her indoor exercise pen when in the house (it's in the dining room by a sliding glass door so she can see outside) because she is still in the stage where she likes to chew on everything and if I leave her run loose she will zoom off looking for what she can get into. I will be GLAD when she matures to where I can trust her to roam the house freely like our previous dog did. She has a crate in our bedroom where she sleeps at night.

I would not do games, like having her put her front feet on ball to balance, until a few weeks after her spay. She will be using her stomach muscles to balance, think "core muscles". Go to YouTube n type in puppy tricks to get some ideas.

She is way past old enough to learn to stay close to you on walks, I'm thinking this will tax her mentally as well. Just make sure you do short sessions then release her to go sniff, then call her back n keep her next to you, then go sniff, etc. think of it all as a game you play with your pup n it will become one for her too.

I am curious...all she does outside is be tethered to her run or chase ball? Is she always in her pen when in the house

I just saw a new product at Walmart called "Smartbones" that is supposed to be a safe substitue for rawhide bones, has anyone tried these yet and if so what is your opinion of them ?

I looked it up online and found their website -

http://www.smartbones.com/

UPDATE: I just checked some reviews on Amazon and it looks like something to avoid, some reviewers were saying it made their dogs very sick and they were throwing up and also said they are made in China so it seems like we need to AVOID getting these !

http://www.amazon.com/SmartBones-Peanut-Butter-Large-3-Pack/dp/B00416XWLS

(check out reviews at the above link)

Overall her behavior has improved with a few exceptions that I just can't seem to make any progress with.

She can get VERY rowdy when I try to unhook her from the trolley line back to her leash to take her back in the house, she will flip on her back and bite my hands and arms, even while trying to lead her back in the house. This is even after we have been playing and running for 20-30 minutes and you can tell she is done playing and has had enough running.

She also gets rowdy when I go to put her harness on to take her outside.

Other times she can be so sweet and loving it is like a Jekyll and Hyde transformation.

She used to want to nip and bite at us all the time, but now we can pet and hug her without her nipping at us so it is not like she did not make major improvments in other areas, but for some reason the bringing back in house / putting on harness areas seem to tough areas to change her behavior in.

She can get VERY rowdy when I try to unhook her from the trolley line back to her leash to take her back in the house, she will flip on her back and bite my hands and arms, even while trying to lead her back in the house.

You answered your own question in a previous post when you said.

She has to be in her indoor exercise pen when in the house……

It sounds like she sees being indoors as being in solitary confinement; punishment.

This is even after we have been playing and running for 20-30 minutes and you can tell she is done playing and has had enough running.

Are you saying as soon as you see she’s tired, you bring her in the house and pen her up? Does she ever get to just lie in the sun and drink in the fresh air?

She also gets rowdy when I go to put her harness on to take her outside.

She’s still a puppy. She’s overly excited about getting out of solitary confinement and going outside. What are you doing to teach her self-control? You’ve had her for several months now. How many commands does she know? Teaching her commands will help in teaching her self-control.

I will be GLAD when she matures to where I can trust her to roam the house freely like our previous dog did.

Maturing has nothing to do with getting older. It has to do with training. What are you doing to teach her what’s appropriate to chew and what’s not appropriate to chew? If you think Xena’s going to wake up one morning and think “I’m only going to chew on my chew toys and leave my human’s shoes and the baseboard alone” you’re wrong. It’s your responsibility to teach her what she can chew on and what’s off limits. If you don’t take the time to do that, she’s still going to be chewing on your shoes, table legs, baseboards, etc when she’s 6, 7, 9 yrs old. And why shouldn’t she if you didn’t take the time to teach her right from wrong?

If Xena were mine, I would give her more freedom in the house. I would keep an eye on her and if she started chewing on something she shouldn’t, I would take it away from her and replace it with something she could chew on. And when I didn’t have time to watch her, I would tether her to me. That would free me up to do whatever it was I needed to do, give Xena more “freedom” than being in the pen and hopefully help her bond with me.

Good points, I really do want her to be able to roam the house freely, the indoor pen was more for her protection of keeping her from chewing or ingesting things that could be harmful to her.

It might be good to wait till after she heals up from her spay surgery this coming week before trying the teather around the house method as she has a tendency to jump up on her hind legs and jump up on the bed or sofa if she gets close enough.

I will be putting some wire fencing on top of her indoor pen so she can't jump up and stand on her hind legs like she does now, this will only be temporary till she heals from her spay surgery, then the fence top comes back off.

I have occasionally let her just relax in the sun for a little bit, but she has to be constantly supervised outside as she will try to chew her harness off if I am not there to stop her and get her mind on something else. (she recently chewed thru her harness in about 5 minutes when I forgot to take it off right after coming inside and walked in another room for about 5 minutes then remembered I forgot to take it off)

You answered your own question in a previous post when you said.

It sounds like she sees being indoors as being in solitary confinement; punishment.

Are you saying as soon as you see she’s tired, you bring her in the house and pen her up? Does she ever get to just lie in the sun and drink in the fresh air?

She’s still a puppy. She’s overly excited about getting out of solitary confinement and going outside. What are you doing to teach her self-control? You’ve had her for several months now. How many commands does she know? Teaching her commands will help in teaching her self-control.

Maturing has nothing to do with getting older. It has to do with training. What are you doing to teach her what’s appropriate to chew and what’s not appropriate to chew? If you think Xena’s going to wake up one morning and think “I’m only going to chew on my chew toys and leave my human’s shoes and the baseboard alone” you’re wrong. It’s your responsibility to teach her what she can chew on and what’s off limits. If you don’t take the time to do that, she’s still going to be chewing on your shoes, table legs, baseboards, etc when she’s 6, 7, 9 yrs old. And why shouldn’t she if you didn’t take the time to teach her right from wrong?

If Xena were mine, I would give her more freedom in the house. I would keep an eye on her and if she started chewing on something she shouldn’t, I would take it away from her and replace it with something she could chew on. And when I didn’t have time to watch her, I would tether her to me. That would free me up to do whatever it was I needed to do, give Xena more “freedom” than being in the pen and hopefully help her bond with me.

…the indoor pen was more for her protection of keeping her from chewing or ingesting things that could be harmful to her.

I understand that. There’s no way you are able to watch her 24/7. But it sounds like you still need to devote more time in training her.

It might be good to wait till after she heals up from her spay surgery this coming week before trying the teather around the house method as she has a tendency to jump up on her hind legs and jump up on the bed or sofa if she gets close enough.

I disagree. When she comes home from being spayed (preferably before she is spayed) is the perfect time to tether her to you. You will be able to watch her closer to make sure she doesn’t start chewing on her stitches and you’ll be able to get some training in. If/when you see she’s getting ready to jump up on the couch, place the palm of your hand in front of her and say “Wait”. When she looks at you, give her a treat. If you don’t mind her being on the couch, gently pick her up and place her there. If you don’t want her on the couch tell her “Heel”, show her you have a treat in your hand and start walking away. If she hesitates, remind her you have a treat. When she starts following you, take a few more steps then stop and give her the treat.

I have occasionally let her just relax in the sun for a little bit, but she has to be constantly supervised outside as she will try to chew her harness off if I am not there to stop her and get her mind on something else.

Ok, so she has to be watched. Talk to her while you’re watching her. If you don’t feel like talking to her, plan ahead and have her peanut butter stuffed toy with you to give her. Either way, you’re showing her what acceptable behavior is-watching/listening to you instead of chewing on her harness or chewing on her toy instead of the harness.

Ok, I have been taking her on more walks as she gets bored quicker now with playing ball and when I took her back inside she did try to bite on me once inside - but - I was able to settle her down a lot easier than before.

I also had her tethered to me for quite a while inside today and she was surprisingly docile and behaved (I think she enjoyed just being out of the pen for a change :-)

I still need to work with her more on leash walking as she still likes to pull so that might take a bit of training.

I do enjoy talking to her just like the family member she is and I think dogs understand more than what some might think !

Ok, I have been taking her on more walks as she gets bored quicker now with playing ball and when I took her back inside she did try to bite on me once inside - but - I was able to settle her down a lot easier than before.

I also had her tethered to me for quite a while inside today and she was surprisingly docile and behaved (I think she enjoyed just being out of the pen for a change :-)

I still need to work with her more on leash walking as she still likes to pull so that might take a bit of training.

I do enjoy talking to her just like the family member she is and I think dogs understand more than what some might think !

I understand that. There’s no way you are able to watch her 24/7. But it sounds like you still need to devote more time in training her.

I disagree. When she comes home from being spayed (preferably before she is spayed) is the perfect time to tether her to you. You will be able to watch her closer to make sure she doesn’t start chewing on her stitches and you’ll be able to get some training in. If/when you see she’s getting ready to jump up on the couch, place the palm of your hand in front of her and say “Wait”. When she looks at you, give her a treat. If you don’t mind her being on the couch, gently pick her up and place her there. If you don’t want her on the couch tell her “Heel”, show her you have a treat in your hand and start walking away. If she hesitates, remind her you have a treat. When she starts following you, take a few more steps then stop and give her the treat.

Ok, so she has to be watched. Talk to her while you’re watching her. If you don’t feel like talking to her, plan ahead and have her peanut butter stuffed toy with you to give her. Either way, you’re showing her what acceptable behavior is-watching/listening to you instead of chewing on her harness or chewing on her toy instead of the harness.

I think that Xena could probably benefit from more variety in her exercise. The running around outside while tethered sounds a bit chaotic to me. It therefore makes sense that she gets really riled up, manic almost and then has a hard time calming down. I would add something to that routine as a bridge activity between playing outside like a banshee and being put up inside. Maybe you could do some grooming or belly rubs. Or maybe a frozen peanut butter kong,

If you need to have her run around with a toy outside as her main activity, I would use a different toy each time (frisbee, kong, jollyball etc) just to keep her on her toes. I would also be walking her everyday; to practice leash walking and to continue to expose her to new sights and sounds. And then there are the tricks. Find out what motivates her and have her work for treats. I can take out treats and not even say anything and Orbit will start offering any behaviour I have ever taught him. Five or ten minutes of that and dude needs a nap. :D

Please don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like Xena is running the show. I think thaty ou need to assert some authority and let her know that you make the rules, you control the fun and that it is in her best interest to get on board. Puppies are exhausting but if you do it right, it is a short phase and then you have years to reap the rewards of your effort.

Devote a period of time every day to letting her be loose in a room or two and watching her closely. You obviously can't do it all day but go for 20-30 minutes at a time. She needs to opportunity to make choices and learn what is acceptable behavior and what is not...

I have a gate at the hallway to keep my puppy (10 months) out of the bedrooms...eventually I would like to not have that up. So a couple of times a day I leave it open and let him wander around back there. I do this when I am cleaning up and making beds, or when I want to just hang out a bit. When he gets into something he shouldn't (socks in the laundry basket is a favorite distraction) I can gently redirect and when hes being good and just hanging out he gets a lot of quiet praise. He is learning whats OK and whats not.

When I can't keep up with watching him I close the gate,

Thanks for the ideas, and no offense taken - I know Xena still needs to learn better to follow than to lead, but I think the tethering made an impression on her, she tried a few times to go in another room but realized she couldn't because of being tethered and instead of making a fuss was content to stay close to where I was.

I think that Xena could probably benefit from more variety in her exercise. The running around outside while tethered sounds a bit chaotic to me. It therefore makes sense that she gets really riled up, manic almost and then has a hard time calming down. I would add something to that routine as a bridge activity between playing outside like a banshee and being put up inside. Maybe you could do some grooming or belly rubs. Or maybe a frozen peanut butter kong,

If you need to have her run around with a toy outside as her main activity, I would use a different toy each time (frisbee, kong, jollyball etc) just to keep her on her toes. I would also be walking her everyday; to practice leash walking and to continue to expose her to new sights and sounds. And then there are the tricks. Find out what motivates her and have her work for treats. I can take out treats and not even say anything and Orbit will start offering any behaviour I have ever taught him. Five or ten minutes of that and dude needs a nap. :D

Please don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like Xena is running the show. I think thaty ou need to assert some authority and let her know that you make the rules, you control the fun and that it is in her best interest to get on board. Puppies are exhausting but if you do it right, it is a short phase and then you have years to reap the rewards of your effort.

That is another idea I plan on trying before too long, but I want to keep trying the tethering for a while first as it seems to be having a positive effect, then I'll try letting her loose for short periods. The tethering for now is getting her in the habit of being content to stay close by and not go running off all over the house excitedly.

(the tethering is sort of a stepping stone transition before letting her try some periods of indoor untethered freedom, which I know she would like, but she first needs to continue to show good behavior tethered for just a while longer so staying calm outside the pen is something she will be used to doing :D )

Devote a period of time every day to letting her be loose in a room or two and watching her closely. You obviously can't do it all day but go for 20-30 minutes at a time. She needs to opportunity to make choices and learn what is acceptable behavior and what is not...

I have a gate at the hallway to keep my puppy (10 months) out of the bedrooms...eventually I would like to not have that up. So a couple of times a day I leave it open and let him wander around back there. I do this when I am cleaning up and making beds, or when I want to just hang out a bit. When he gets into something he shouldn't (socks in the laundry basket is a favorite distraction) I can gently redirect and when hes being good and just hanging out he gets a lot of quiet praise. He is learning whats OK and whats not.

Well, tomorrow is her spay and I'm hoping she can stay calm enough afterwards till she heals up so the stitches don't tear loose.

Since she has a habit of standing on her hind feet when in her indoor pen I put a temporary top on it as well as made it smaller until she heals up. (the vet said to allow 2 weeks before normal activity resumes)

Here are pictures showing the pen open and normal size and one showing how I made it smaller and put a top on it till she heals up.

post-14161-0-08628200-1364943192_thumb.jpg

post-14161-0-04662900-1364943243_thumb.jpg

I can tell you that it made a huge difference being able to do diferent mind games with Sage after his neuter to help with the normal puppy zoomies and hyperness that restricted activity seems to increase. Like you, I had made his exercise pen into more of a crate to help keep him mellow. I also got one of those inflatable type e-collars since the one the vet gave us was destroyed within 6 hours from banging it on EVERYTHING! The absolut best thing I did for him though was those mental games. For example, how her a treat then hide it under a small hand towel and get her to find it. Once she does give her a treat and do it again. Using some of her kibble as well work too. It just gets her mind going and she stays relatively still with her feet. Hope that helps you a bit.