BC Boards

Learning to raise a puppy

Yes, the above^^^^

Don't rely on drugs to keep her calm for the entire post-op period. The first few days - OK - but after that (once most of the acute pain has passed), it is your job to control her activity via leash-walking and mental games.

My last foster (female) came into the program intact. Even though I prefer waiting until past a year to neuter, our rescue prefers to spay before adopting out - so this girl was spayed at about 6.5 months of age. She also was a very active puppy, and when I picked her up at the clinic after the spay and an overnight stay, she was just as perky as before. Spay? What spay? I brought her to a low-cost planned pethood clinic. Everything seemed to go fine. They even tattooed her belly (a 2 inch green line) to show that she was spayed in case there was ever a question in the future. (which happened to another female rescue dog I had - I brought her in to be spayed and the vet could not see a scar when they shaved her belly. They opened her up to find that she had already been spayed.)

The only negative I can say about the clinic I used is that there was a very short period of time allowed for drop-off and delivery - only one hour in the morning. I understand why - they have to be as efficient as possible to hold down costs.

Good Luck,

Jovi

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can wait (i.e., if you can commit to keeping her contained when she goes into heat so that she doesn't accidentally breed), I would wait until after she is 1 year old to have her spayed. Hormones have an impact on growth, and when the growth plates close, so it is nice to let them grow up intact, if you can.

If you can't wait, then a clinic should be fine. There are a few of them here in Texas that do low cost spay/neuter, and they do a fine job.

As far as keeping your dog calm post-op... it's a challenge. You will probably receive a few doses of Tramadol (a pain killer that has a sedative effect) after the spay, but you only need to use it for a few days. After that, you need to keep your dog on leash/crated/penned and be creative about different ways to keep her calm. Kongs are good (especially frozen ones). You can also use that time to work on quiet tricks (like, give me paw, pick up that thing... that sort of stuff).

Thanks for the ideas, when we adopted her from a shelter at 9 weeks old we were required to sign a contract which included we could be fined $500 if she was not spayed within a year, so I guess we might as well get it done before her first heat as our yard is not fenced in and loose dogs sometimes roam onto our property.

(even though she is supervised by us when outside I'd rather not have to fend off any dogs attracted by her being in heat)

Yes, the above^^^^

Don't rely on drugs to keep her calm for the entire post-op period. The first few days - OK - but after that (once most of the acute pain has passed), it is your job to control her activity via leash-walking and mental games.

My last foster (female) came into the program intact. Even though I prefer waiting until past a year to neuter, our rescue prefers to spay before adopting out - so this girl was spayed at about 6.5 months of age. She also was a very active puppy, and when I picked her up at the clinic after the spay and an overnight stay, she was just as perky as before. Spay? What spay? I brought her to a low-cost planned pethood clinic. Everything seemed to go fine. They even tattooed her belly (a 2 inch green line) to show that she was spayed in case there was ever a question in the future. (which happened to another female rescue dog I had - I brought her in to be spayed and the vet could not see a scar when they shaved her belly. They opened her up to find that she had already been spayed.)

The only negative I can say about the clinic I used is that there was a very short period of time allowed for drop-off and delivery - only one hour in the morning. I understand why - they have to be as efficient as possible to hold down costs.

Good Luck,

Jovi

Thanks, it's good to know there is no reason for concern going to a spay clinic.

I guess they usually keep them overnight then ?

......as perky as if nothong happened, huh ?

I'll have a challenge with Xena as she is used to running on the leash as I run with her on the leash so she can get exercise since our yard is not fenced in.

I guess I'll have to hold the leash at a point very close to her so she has no leeway to try to start running, but even then, she is very strong and will likely try to pull hard since she loves to run.

Thanks for the ideas, when we adopted her from a shelter at 9 weeks old we were required to sign a contract which included we could be fined $500 if she was not spayed within a year, so I guess we might as well get it done before her first heat as our yard is not fenced in and loose dogs sometimes roam onto our property.

(even though she is supervised by us when outside I'd rather not have to fend off any dogs attracted by her being in heat)

I have posted this link before -

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/144600/EVIDENCE-BASED-APPROACH-TO-NEUTER-SURGERY-AND-INTRODUCTION-TO-EVIDENCE-BASED-MEDICAL-PRACTICE

It isn't a simple question of "letting the dog mature" when making the decision at what age to spay. Personally I would rather have it done sooner than later since the slight risk of the dog growing a little taller for me is outweighed by the more significant reported reduction in mammary tumours for which the rate is lowest if spaying is carried out before the first heat.

And the risk of a miserable phantom pregnancy is removed.

I would take my chances with hip displaysia and cruciate ligament failure since the causes of both are not a simple matter and are to a great extent so far unidentified.

I guess they usually keep them overnight then?

I can't speak for the US but it isn't normal in the UK for an overnight stay and most dogs are absolutely fine once the anaesthetic has worn off.

Thanks for the ideas, when we adopted her from a shelter at 9 weeks old we were required to sign a contract which included we could be fined $500 if she was not spayed within a year.

Just out of interest, does anyone here knows for certain if such a contract really flies in court (I would doubt it). And who would cash this fine?

Just out of interest, does anyone here knows for certain if such a contract really flies in court (I would doubt it). And who would cash this fine?

Re: a $500 fine for not spaying an adopted dog: That is a new one for me! For most rescues I know, if the dog is not spayed or neutered before adoption, the rescue will require an additional deposit ($150 - $250 is common) at time of adoption. When the adopter supplies proof of neutering (from a licensed veterinarian), the deposit is refunded. Presumably, the rescue is more reliable than an individual.

Not sure if it would be worth the court costs to recover $500 unless a lawyer took on the case pro bono or if the rescue wanted to prove a point.

Jovi

No, they're usually not kept overnight. I just had my Faith spayed on Wednesday. I dropped her off around 8am and picked her up around 4pm. Faith is typically a very busy girl, but she was very low that evening, and the next morning. Thursday night was a little bumpy. She had a reaction to her meds. But as of yesterday evening Faith is doing very well. Overall, she has been limiting herself pretty well. Much better than I thought she would. But she has had plenty of crate time too, with her bones and balls to keep her happy and relatively quiet. I was pretty nervous about spaying her. My other female came to me at a year old and already spayed. I hadn't had a female spayed since 1992. But we're all getting through it just fine.

Oh, I would double check with the low cost spay/neuter place and make sure they will be sending pain meds home. I had a foster neutered at one and they sent us home with nothing. He was very uncomfortable, putting it mildly. Luckily I had something at the house. But it would have been nice to have had something a little stronger for him for the first couple days. But we all survived that too. :-)

No, they're usually not kept overnight. I just had my Faith spayed on Wednesday. I dropped her off around 8am and picked her up around 4pm. Faith is typically a very busy girl, but she was very low that evening, and the next morning. Thursday night was a little bumpy. She had a reaction to her meds. But as of yesterday evening Faith is doing very well. Overall, she has been limiting herself pretty well. Much better than I thought she would. But she has had plenty of crate time too, with her bones and balls to keep her happy and relatively quiet. I was pretty nervous about spaying her. My other female came to me at a year old and already spayed. I hadn't had a female spayed since 1992. But we're all getting through it just fine.

Oh, I would double check with the low cost spay/neuter place and make sure they will be sending pain meds home. I had a foster neutered at one and they sent us home with nothing. He was very uncomfortable, putting it mildly. Luckily I had something at the house. But it would have been nice to have had something a little stronger for him for the first couple days. But we all survived that too. :-)

I'd be glad to get her back home the same day, she has been with us since 9 weeks old and I would not want her to go thru a night away wondering where we are.

Our vet said clinics might not include meds or a cone, but that she would provide those if the clinic didn't.

Did your dog have to wear a cone so as to not bite at her stiches ?

I have posted this link before -

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/144600/EVIDENCE-BASED-APPROACH-TO-NEUTER-SURGERY-AND-INTRODUCTION-TO-EVIDENCE-BASED-MEDICAL-PRACTICE

It isn't a simple question of "letting the dog mature" when making the decision at what age to spay. Personally I would rather have it done sooner than later since the slight risk of the dog growing a little taller for me is outweighed by the more significant reported reduction in mammary tumours for which the rate is lowest if spaying is carried out before the first heat.

And the risk of a miserable phantom pregnancy is removed.

I would take my chances with hip displaysia and cruciate ligament failure since the causes of both are not a simple matter and are to a great extent so far unidentified.

I can't speak for the US but it isn't normal in the UK for an overnight stay and most dogs are absolutely fine once the anaesthetic has worn off.

......so the pros of spaying before the first heat outweigh any cons, that is good to know !

one more risk or early spay/neuter that I read about is increased incidence of bone cancer.

.....so there are some cons to early spaying, but mum24dog had some good pros.

.....so do most of you feel the pros of early spaying outweigh any cons ?

Faith did not wear a cone. And she hasn't bothered with her incision very much at all. Although I do have a couple cones handy for those just in case moments. I've heard people say that you can put a snug fitting T-shirt on the dog to keep them from bothering the incision.

Yes, there are pros and cons to spaying early and spaying latter. No perfect answer, just have to go with what you are most comfortable with and what you can manage best. We all do the best we can with what we have.

Faith did not wear a cone. And she hasn't bothered with her incision very much at all. Although I do have a couple cones handy for those just in case moments. I've heard people say that you can put a snug fitting T-shirt on the dog to keep them from bothering the incision.

Yes, there are pros and cons to spaying early and spaying latter. No perfect answer, just have to go with what you are most comfortable with and what you can manage best. We all do the best we can with what we have.

Thanks for your (and everyone elses) input on all this !

Xena is still in that puppy mode where she likes to chew on everything, so she just might chew on a snug fitting T-shirt also :mellow:

.....to get an idea whether cone use after spaying is the exception or the norm, how many others reading this thread have needed to use a cone after spaying ?

I've used a cone with several dogs, but not needed it with others. When my pup was neutered, I tried the T-shirt on him, but he pulled it off easily, and before you ask, yes I know how to use it correctly. He was just that determined to have it off. But he didn't lick his stitches even once so it didn't matter.

My suggestion would be to have the cone on hand just in case. After all, you don't have to use it just because it's there, but you can't use it if it's not.

I wouldn't expect a spay/neuter clinic to give you a cone. They may give you pain meds. You should find out before hand so if they won't, you can get them from your regular vet before hand, along with the cone.

.....to get an idea whether cone use after spaying is the exception or the norm, how many others reading this thread have needed to use a cone after spaying ?

I agree it's a good idea to have a cone on hand in event Xena tends to want to disturb the incision. If she can't tolerate the cone, there is a product (Bite-Not is one brand) that is basically an extra wide dog collar, but padded, so dog can't bend its neck in such a way to lick/bite a healing area of body.

I decided to remove my dog's cone after spay surgery, when I saw her furiously spinning in circles, using her hind legs as a pivot. I thought for a moment she was having some kind of seizure, until I realized she was attempting to throw the cone off her head :o She showed no signs of messing with the sutures, but we put the padded collar on, just as a precaution. It's kind of fun (for a while) to have to answer all the questions about it. -- Best wishes, TEC

Penny came to me just a few days after her spay. She didn't need a cone at first, but a few days later, she started trying to lick her incision. So, out came the cone!

I will say that I think having a cone on hand is just a good idea. I have one cone in the house that I got when Anja scratched an eye (had to keep her from rubbing her eyes). Since then, it's been used on all three dogs at various times to keep them from fussing at stitches.

Best,

Danielle

• 3 weeks later...

Xena is scheduled for spaying next week and from what I was told dogs need to stay very inactive especially for the first 7 to 10 days so as not to risk opening the stitches.

Xena loves to run and play and jump up on her hind legs so it is going to be a challenge to keep her calm. We are planning on putting some wire fencing on top of her indoor exercise pen during that time to keep her from being able to jump up on her hind legs while in her pen. We also have a cone.

The thing is that when I take her outside to potty on a leash she often will start running after going potty in anticipation of play time which would normally happen afterwards. But for that time I will need to take her back in the house to her pen after potty, but she will likely resist and try to pull away and run for the play area.

QUESTION:

Is there a very mild sedative that is safe to use for about 4 days (after first 3 days of pain meds) to at least keep her calm till 7 days where they said scar tissue should start to form ?

I don't want to have her where she just sleeps 20 hours a day, but a very mild sedative just to keep her from getting hyper, because when she does not get her exercise she can start getting very hyper (I know from when we have 2 or 3 days of rain and she don't get her normal exercise).

Thanks !

Yes, I agree -- walking, and more walking. Also, mental games. These have been suggested many times on these boards. Search the archives for suggestions.

I wouldn't use drugs to keep her calm. Just my personal opinion, but I don't want to subject my dog to drugs if not necessary.

Jovi

You need to talk to your vet about these concerns.

I had mentioned it a while back and the vet said she preferred not to have a dog sedated all that time, but I'm not sure if I was able to get her to understand just how hyper and active she can get, so maybe I'll check with her again to see if there might be a very very mild sedative just to take the edge off her tendency to get hyper when she does not get a lot of exercise.

Xena is used to running and chasing balls a few times a day for as long as 20 to 30 minutes of some fast running, afterwards she is content to relax in her indoor pen after drinking a few minutes at her water bottle :P