BC Boards

dosage questions for supplements

KrisK

Cricket had femoral head surgery for hip dysplasia on one hip at 6 months old. Her other hip was also affected but we didn't do surgery. She will be 10 in April. We keep her weight down and she gets regular exercise however, I've been noticing she is less agile and some limping. Her last vet visit was fine.

I did a search in the forum about supplements and would like to get some additional information.

She was on glucosamine, but it didn't seem to help. So today, I bought MSM and also some tumeric.

Can she get these at the same time and also what would be the correct dosage for the MSM? I gave her one pill tonight along with a cod liver oil pill. I haven't given the turmeric yet. She weighs about 41 lbs.

Thank you for any suggestions and input.

I am having the same problems with my old dog, Ellie. Would you let me know how the turmeric works? I have some but it is a really strong flavored spice. I don't think I could use more than just a little at a time mixed well with food.

I did the Rimadyl, Tramadol thing for a while. It was so expensive and I don't think it did very much good.

Our holistic vet said when giving human drugs you give half the recommended adult dose. Hope that helps.

Um???? The dose varies by drug. Some are up to 4x the human dose, others are only a small fraction of the human dose. You need to call and ask for each drug based on your dog's weight.

Turmeric, dog 56lbs, vet said 1/2 teas per day divided in his 2 meals. I started slow, have not noticed any upsets at all. I know for people it is said to take w bromeliad, that the two work better together. I have been giving same dog MSM, 500mg for a few years now on recommendation of a vet.