BC Boards

The Naming

My APHA is Strut Myself Silly out of The Strutter by Tardee Silly Filly. Miniture Horse names are even more ridiculous. But Haflingers usually have very simple names, they just have to start with the same letter as their same gender parent.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, it would have been more accurate to say the TB world officially STARTED it, to be copied by many breed show circuits. And yes, I've met lots of ridiculously named Arabs, QHs, and Appys. I think the biggest difference is that ALL TBs bred for the track (which is darn near all of them bred in the US) have the naming restriction from birth, regardless of what they do the rest of their lives, whereas the breed show circuit breeds usually only have crazy names if they're going to show regularly on the breed circuit (or if they're owned by a little girl who wants to give them 20 different names- I've seen plenty of that, too) sometimes not being "named" until later in life. So yes, lots of horses in the competition world have ridiculous names. As a kid I used to ride an extremely pudgy Appy who was aptly named Puddin'. He took me to my very first show, and I thought I was going to die of embarrassment when the announcer said his name! He helped me win the blue ribbon but I had begged my trainer to come up with a show name for him to no avail...so sometimes there are worse things than ridiculous "show" names!

Here the the real pic of my pup. Should be getting him in a couple more days...

255192_303835979732301_614073260_n.jpg

198377_303836249732274_2131979622_n.jpg

I am leaning more and more just with Valentine/Valek combo. The other names just don't seem right. I do still love the play of Alice though...

As for Alice, you'll probably get people thinking he's a girl, but if you don't mind it's not a big deal. Wesley gets called a girl all the time. People think we're saying 'Leslie', and even if they don't know his name at all, I guess he's just a girly dog.

Jazz was always confused as a guy and Dew is a name that people always look funny at but she's a girly girl dog so people tend to know she's a girl.

I really don't think Alice will mind if people think he's a girl and I like the "story" behind it.

And as far as a different dog, Cressa mentioned earlier that the dog she posted before was acutally her dogs brother so she didn't change her mind just got a picture of her dog.

I love the small blaze.

Still got my vote!

What kristen said... the first pic of the pup was the pup i was hoping for but he isn't a good match so am getting his awesome brother instead. :)

@ kristi... yes Valek would be short for Valentine. I don't like call name to be just one syllable. So while he might have a one syllable nickname... never a call name!

Maybe I am just weird...?

Maybe I am just weird...?

No, you aren't weird. I like two syllable call names: Sammie, Speedy, Maddie, Dean Dog, Tessa. The only one who had a one syllable name ended up having it extended!!

I sometimes say Sam, Spee, Dean, or Tess, but I do prefer the two syllables. I don't have any issue whatsoever with calling out two syllables during an Agility run or any time I need to call out a name quickly.

I have dogs with one or two-syllable names. The one-syllable dogs often get "pet names/nicknames" that are two-syllable, and vice versa. I have one dog whose name was three syllables and it was pretty much permanenty shortened to two (Willoughby --> Willow, which has never been hortened to one syllable).

Kestrel = Kes

Pip (registered name is actually Pipit) = Pipper (I never call him Pipit and don't even run him under that name)

Lark = Larky

Kat = Katty Rat (oops, that makes three! ;) )

Phoebe = (rarely shortened, but sometimes to Pheebs)

I think if you like the name and it rolls easily off your tongue, that's all that matters.

J.