BC Boards

Happy Birthday Twist!

Twist turned 11 today. She has been such a part of my journey in sheepdogs. I'm just posting some random photos taken over the years.

At the Breezy Hill sheepdog trial 3 years ago:

TwistClose.jpg

Setting up the shed and shedding:

Twistshed_setup_BreezyHill_June09.jpg

Twistshed_callthrough_BreezyHill_Ju.jpg

Twistshed_BreezyHill_June09.jpg

Six years ago, at lambing:

P3260060.jpg

A portrait by Kay Sander from a photo by Christine Koval:

TwistPortrait_byKay.jpg

Family portrait at Montpelier (half the Twist litter):

100_2017.jpg

Twist and Kat at Kay's (Twist was probably ~2 here):

KatandTwist.jpg

When we lived in Elizabeth City (~2004):

P4170097.jpg

Holding off the ram:

IMG_0136_edited-1.jpg

Working with her son:

IMG_0168.jpg

Twist today, decidedly not thrilled to have her picture taken:

IMG_5087.jpg

I can't even begin to explain what an amazing dog Twist has been for me. She took me, a novice handler, to open by the time she was three years old. We went to our first finals in 2005, when she was not yet 4. She is the dog I can send for sheep that are out of sight, or in the dark, and know she will get them all and bring them home, sensibly. She's the dog who got between me and a bull intent on doing me harm. And yet she'll be as gentle as, well, a lamb, with newborn lambs while not taking any guff off their mamas. She went out in the dark with me one night, heavily pregnant, to help my neighbor get his escaped cattle back in to their field. She's the dog I learned to set sheep with. Although she's a wide running dog, she is also the calmest and easiest dog in tight spaces like pens and trailers. She was never the fastest dog, but she could move anything.

At 11, she's showing signs of the many hard knocks her body has taken and she's not as willing to take on a fight with a pissy ram, but if there's a problem that needs saving, she's still my go-to dog.

Happy birthday Twist. You will always be my best baby girl, my Schnookie.

J.

I can't even begin to explain what an amazing dog Twist has been for me. She took me, a novice handler, to open by the time she was three years old. We went to our first finals in 2005, when she was not yet 4. She is the dog I can send for sheep that are out of sight, or in the dark, and know she will get them all and bring them home, sensibly. She's the dog who got between me and a bull intent on doing me harm. And yet she'll be as gentle as, well, a lamb, with newborn lambs while not taking any guff off their mamas. She went out in the dark with me one night, heavily pregnant, to help my neighbor get his escaped cattle back in to their field. She's the dog I learned to set sheep with. Although she's a wide running dog, she is also the calmest and easiest dog in tight spaces like pens and trailers. She was never the fastest dog, but she could move anything.

At 11, she's showing signs of the many hard knocks her body has taken and she's not as willing to take on a fight with a pissy ram, but if there's a problem that needs saving, she's still my go-to dog.

Happy birthday Twist. You will always be my best baby girl, my Schnookie.

J.

What a wonderful tribute. We are so lucky to have these wonderful creatures in our lives. Congratulations Twist and Julie. Thanks for sharing her story with us. :)