BC Boards

got a bc pup last week

I had a very protective BC, Sunday. He would of course bark at those who he didn't know as they walked by the house. One day he actually cornered some guy, who had hopped our 6ft wood fence, till the police got there and took him to jail. He never bit, but he did growl and give him the eye till they got there which was before me actually. My neighbors called it in when he started barking his fool head off.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the kind of stuff Jin does. Jin will play with me and the kids that's it. Anyone else he just ignores. If someone he doesn't know walks towards the kids quickly they get stopped, like you mentioned Sunday did, with the eye and a growl. Once he gets to know someone he's happy to see them and lets them play away with the kids but he still stays aloof. But with the lawn guy he cranked it up a level.

To get him to stick with you off lead, try doing a 180 and walk in the opposite direction if he gets more than 2 steps ahead, or you can stop and make him sit by your side. It won't take long for him to realize that you aren't going anywhere if he doesn't stick with you.

• 2 months later...

Jin is about a year old now. I can't believe how fast he's matured. Even at this young age he's turned out to be a serious guard dog. Around strangers he has to be handled like a malanois. He's gentle as a lamb to me and the kids and most people when he gets to know them. I just have to keep a close eye on him, no roaming about unatended etc..