BC Boards

Looking for a specific type of Border Collie mix

And I personally think that because of those very narrow selection criteria, you risk missing out on great dogs...

I just cringe at the thought that the fact I prefered a bit longer hair had made me pass up on Gláma. Because of her I favor smooth dogs now :lol: .

I understand what you are saying and it's nothing personal against those other types, we just have some preferences, and don't worry, I'm not going to adopt a dog based on outward appearance alone, if we meet one and it just doesn't feel right based on personality and temperment, if we don't feel that connection, we won't be too hasty and adopt based on appearance only.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything the responders have said, and especially this.

I don't think I've ever ended up with what I thought I was looking for.

The shopping list when we were looking for a BC dictated a smallish b/w medium coated bitch with drop ears - we ended up with a leggy short coated dog with one pricked and one mostly half mast ear. He is b/w though, and a BC. Guess what I think I now prefer.

I will start with a shopping list next time too, but I will be equally willing to depart from it for the right temperament. And I will be prepared for the right dog to come my way.

.....good points !

Surely it wouldn't be too expensive to fence off a small part of your land with something like deer netting even as a temporary measure? I'm sure a dog would be happier being able to mooch around free without being on leash all the time.

Would you pass up what looked like a possible perfect fit for the sake of a bit of fencing?

That idea had come to mind and I was considering fencing off a smaller section for now.

My first Border Collie I wanted a black and white dog with a wide blaze and prick ears. The breeder picked my puppy and sent me a tri color with brindle points, a narrow blaze and mismatched ears. The second he walked out of the carrier at the airport I was his human. I couldn't ask for a more loyal, intelligent friend. He became the most handsome dog ever in my eyes.

Some years later I purchased a smooth coated, red and white pup with green eyes. I had always wanted that exact combination. Unfortunately, we didn't get along. I tried so hard to make it work, but in the end we were not right for each other and I sold her.

Do not let arbitrary requirements about how a dog looks ruin your chances of getting the right dog for you.

BTW, here is an affordable, easy to install fence solution. They ship kits right to you.

I understand, like I told another poster I would not adopt on appearance alone if something did not feel right as far as how the dog's temperment/personality towards us was when we would meet her.

also - thanks for the fence link, I'll check it out.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23704317

5 month old, b/w, short haired female in SC.

Thanks, I'll see about keeping her on my list of possibilities, I had a rescue person contact me saying she thinks she could likely find what I'm looking for fairly soon, that way I can consider from a few possibilities rather than making a hasty decision on the very first possibility.

The last time I went "dog huntin'" I was aiming for this:post-10533-096544600 1352677421_thumb.jpg

The most perfect and beautiful dog in the world. Sweet, easy to train, in good health all his life.

What I came home with was this:post-10533-019023500 1352677548_thumb.jpg

The most perfect and beautiful dog in the world. Sweet, easy to train, in good health all her life. (So far) And the absolute best dog in the world.

My advice is (though I have scant hope of it being taken) don't let the packaging destroy your chance at your next "best dog in the world", or try to cram the ghost of your last "best dog in the world" into an animal who may have even more to offer you. They are different creatures. Try to be open to something wonderful and different. You won't regret it.

I understand and I don't intend adopting based on appearance alone, and also realizing our new dog will have her own unique personality and not to expect her to be my previous dog.

After raising our (black and white) BC from a puppy, at just barely six years old, he suddenly and violently attacked me without warning. Had my husband not been home at the time, I'm sure he would have killed me. We had to have him put down; vet said it was probably a brain tumor. I was devastated at losing him, dealing with the physical wounds and PTSD after the attack.

I wanted another Border Collie puppy. I needed another Border Collie. I searched obsessively, nightly, into the wee hours of the morning, looking for another Scooter. We went through several rescues, even worked with a breeder that we thought was reputable, but nothing ever seemed to work out.

Then one morning I was looking at a local rescue's site, as I had done numerous times before, and a face jumped out at me. I filled out an application on line and met our boy two days later. A ten year old rough collie named Daniel. Not at all what I had been looking for, but, as it turns out, exactly what I needed. He was sweet, gentle, goofy, nonthreatening. Even then, it took some time for me to relax around him, always looking for an escape route, expecting him to go off like Scooter had.

A year later, he's settled in nicely, in pretty good shape for a senior and is now a registered therapy dog, making visits with me to nursing homes and hospitals. He ended up being my therapy dog first. :)

I understand your aching for another Border Collie; I would still like one again some day, but Daniel has been a Godsend. And even though he's nothing like Scooter, we sometimes find ourselves comparing the two, but not in a negative way. Daniel is Daniel. :rolleyes:

Open your heart and the right dog will be happy to fill that empty space, BC or otherwise. Good luck in your search!

Thanks for sharing, and so very sorry about Scooter, it is very tough indeed losing a beloved pet, especially that way, I'm glad you were able to still feel ok about getting another dog after that.

It's like others have said - once you get a border collie - you're hooked on the breed - not that you might never get a different breed ever, but.... well you all know how we feel about BCs - that's why we're on this forum :-)

I'm "friends" with PRBCR on Facebook and they posted a few new dogs yesterday. Here's Lucy:

262184_10151315239431228_1201022020_n.jpg

This 18 month old 38 pound Border Collie mix is a sweetie who loves to

cuddle. Lucy is house and crate trained, and is smart and easily trained.

Completed vetted lucy is spayed, heart worm negative and on preventative

and has a microchip. She is great with dogs, I don't think that she has met

a cat but I can't see why she wouldn't be great with them. She is all

about the game and loves the tennis ball but settles right down once she is

inside. Looking for a furever home, maybe with some kids or another dog to

pal up with. Don't miss this girl, this Lucy is a true treasure and has no explaining to do... Please visit our website at www.prbcr.org

HOWEVER, they also posted this absolute doll. If I could, I'd snatch him right up. IF you'd consider a male (which I definitely recommend):

32380_10151285278116228_1432180893_n.jpg

Hello - I am a rather small (25 pound) tri-colored male BC who is lookingfor a "furever" home. I am just getting to know my foster parents and like them a lot but know that it is not the home I will live in forever. I am learning house manners, how to walk on a leash, how to be a good boy and,most importantly, how to play. It is all so exciting. I get along well withall dogs, cats, and children bu

t am a little afraid of those big farm animals. I am young (little under a year), energetic and want to find someone who will love and play with me as I will love and play with them. My foster daddy says that I don't seem to have the BC drive but that I am rather rambunctious. If you are interested in me please contact my foster mommy below and she will be glad to answer all questions about me. I know that they will be good answers because I am trying very hard to be a good dog and am learning the ropes very quickly. Please visit our website at www.prbcr.org

HOWEVER, they also posted this absolute doll. If I could, I'd snatch him right up. IF you'd consider a male (which I definitely recommend):

32380_10151285278116228_1432180893_n.jpg

Oh Paula, I'd snatch him up in a heartbeat. I used to be a female-only home, but a certain goofy big white male changed my mind completely. Now I sometimes wonder how I continue to stand the snarky bitches, lol!

J.

I'm "friends" with PRBCR on Facebook and they posted a few new dogs yesterday. Here's Lucy:

262184_10151315239431228_1201022020_n.jpg

This 18 month old 38 pound Border Collie mix is a sweetie who loves to

cuddle. Lucy is house and crate trained, and is smart and easily trained.

Completed vetted lucy is spayed, heart worm negative and on preventative

and has a microchip. She is great with dogs, I don't think that she has met

a cat but I can't see why she wouldn't be great with them. She is all

about the game and loves the tennis ball but settles right down once she is

inside. Looking for a furever home, maybe with some kids or another dog to

pal up with. Don't miss this girl, this Lucy is a true treasure and has no explaining to do... Please visit our website at www.prbcr.org

She is sure a cutie !

She can be on my list of possibilities even though that location is one of the further away ones, I have been getting some positive feedback from some of the more closer shelters/rescues I have contacted (I did not realize how many of them there were even within a 1 - 2 hour drive until I did some serious research !) one of the reasonably closer ones were very positive about being able to help based on past experience.

Not that it would be out of the question to drive an hour or two further if necessary, but since I found out there are so many places within about 2 hours or less I'll see what they can find over the next week or so, I had just recently contacted about 40 different places so there are a lot of kind and helpful people not too far away who are checking around for us ! When we make our choice I will let y'all know and include a photo - and hopefully sooner than later !

I really do appreciate everyone efforts to be of help !

My wife and I recently lost our beloved "Angel" (Border Collie mix) after 15 years to a sudden unexpected onset of rapidly recurring severe and damaging cluster seizures the vet believed was due to a brain tumor and the vet gave us no real hope because of her age and the severity of the seizures and we were so extremely heartbroken.

No dog could ever replace "Angel", but we so need to again hear the sound of happy paws prancing thru our empty feeling home.

Not intending to sound picky, but we take choosing our new family member very seriously, and need to find just what we are looking for so she would be the best fit for our family.

I just wanted to say I wish you good luck, and that I am in similar situation. I lost my beloved almost-12 year old border collie Sasha on June 18. She too was a "unique" type of BC -- thinner, slighter of build, slightly longer muzzle and ears that flopped over to the front. She had traditional B&W markings, but with a touch of brown.

There was just something uniquely wonderful and beautiful about her, just as you feel about your lovely Angel, and I so wanted another "Sasha". But it seemed hopeless, and I gave up and adopted a pretty standard BC; an older rescue dog.

I too got a huge amount of "flack" from people who either discouraged me from looking for another Sasha -- said I'd never find one, said it was unrealistic. Some of them got downright angry at me for even WANTING this, like it was amoral or sinful.

So I got the other dog, who has behavior problems, and "settled". And what did you know, but 4 months later, a random look at a rescue site, and I saw a dog who was the spitting image of Sasha -- young, beautiful, similar markings, and described as "sweet, sweet, sweet", loves people, playful, friendly.

Of course by then it was far too late. The dog I found, she had JUST been adopted. She is a thousand miles away now.

I lost my chance because I listened to pessimists and naysayers.

Don't give up. You have the right to want a similar dog, so long as you are realistic that it IS a different dog, and only similar, not identical.

So I got the other dog, who has behavior problems, and "settled". And what did you know, but 4 months later, a random look at a rescue site, and I saw a dog who was the spitting image of Sasha -- young, beautiful, similar markings, and described as "sweet, sweet, sweet", loves people, playful, friendly.

Laurel, I am sorry you had such a bad experience.

I would like to say that no one here has suggested anyone "settle" for anything. It was simply pointed out that sometimes the outside isn't an indication of what you are looking for, and that a really good match in personality can be over looked if a person is too focused on that certain "look."

There's a world of difference there.

My wife and I recently lost our beloved "Angel" (Border Collie mix) after 15 years to a sudden unexpected onset of rapidly recurring severe and damaging cluster seizures the vet believed was due to a brain tumor and the vet gave us no real hope because of her age and the severity of the seizures and we were so extremely heartbroken.

No dog could ever replace "Angel", but we so need to again hear the sound of happy paws prancing thru our empty feeling home.

Not intending to sound picky, but we take choosing our new family member very seriously, and need to find just what we are looking for so she would be the best fit for our family.

I just wanted to say I wish you good luck, and that I am in similar situation. I lost my beloved almost-12 year old border collie Sasha on June 18. She too was a "unique" type of BC -- thinner, slighter of build, slightly longer muzzle and ears that flopped over to the front. She had traditional B&W markings, but with a touch of brown.

There was just something uniquely wonderful and beautiful about her, just as you feel about your lovely Angel, and I so wanted another "Sasha". But it seemed hopeless, and I gave up and adopted a pretty standard BC; an older rescue dog.

I too got a huge amount of "flack" from people who either discouraged me from looking for another Sasha -- said I'd never find one, said it was unrealistic. Some of them got downright angry at me for even WANTING this, like it was amoral or sinful.

Of course by then it was far too late. The dog I found, she had JUST been adopted. She is a thousand miles away now.

I lost my chance because I listened to pessimists and naysayers.

Don't give up. You have the right to want a similar dog, so long as you are realistic that it IS a different dog, and only similar, not identical.

Thanks for the encouragement Laurel, it is appreciated !

Sorry to hear about Sasha, the pain does ease some as time goes on, but you still miss them so much.

I hope things work out with your current dog, perhaps her behaviour problems was from either abuse from her past or lack of love and attention from where she was before the rescue place, just continue to give her the love and attention she may have been deprived of in her past and dogs have a way of knowing you're trying to help them.

You made a good point to remember, that some dogs may be simular, but not identical, each one has their own individuality and personality and should be loved as such for who they are.

.....and I understand that outward appearance alone is not enough, we need to also feel that emotional connection with them, so even though I am definitely looking for some specific preferences in appearance, in addition to those outward preferences there also must be that emotional connection too, they need to have a personality that "clicks" with ours.

Dogs are such wonderful creatures in the unconditional love they show us imperfect humans, they don't focus on our faults and shortcomings but they just love us "as is" :-)

Thanks again for the encouragement, it is good to be on this forum and know there are others who have such love for dogs also !

Laurel, I am sorry you had such a bad experience.

I would like to say that no one here has suggested anyone "settle" for anything. It was simply pointed out that sometimes the outside isn't an indication of what you are looking for, and that a really good match in personality can be over looked if a person is too focused on that certain "look."

There's a world of difference there.

Thanks, yes it has been very stressful.

I was not coming at this from a place of blame. But I got HUGE discouragement from every quarter, most thought I should not even get another border collie,it would always remind me of Sasha or be compared to her.

When I said what would comfort me and ease my grief the most, would be to get a dog that was the most like her, I was told I was just awful to want this, and the new dog would never be like her, and I was unrealistic and so on. Some of the responses (not here, in my personal life) were VERY unkind and unhelpful.

I was just relieved reading Gary and Karen's request, it was not just me. And like me, they did not expect "the reincarnation" of the old dog, just loved a certain look. And if you can find that, and you make a dog happy and you are happy -- why not? Who does it harm?

Meanwhile, I did what people suggested -- got an older dog, got a rescue (from a no kill shelter), got a different looking dog -- and I am in a world of pain and misery, with a dog who bites and growls, and hates everyone but us, and is NOTHING AT ALL like our BC, we might as well have gotten some fighting pit bull from the dog pound.

Thanks for the encouragement, it is appreciated !

Sorry to hear about Sasha, the pain does ease some as time goes on, but you still miss them so much.

I hope things work out with your current dog, perhaps her behaviour problems was from either abuse from her past or lack of love and attention from where she was before the rescue place, just continue to give her the love and attention she may have been deprived of in her past and dogs have a way of knowing you're trying to help them.

You made a good point to remember, that some dogs may be simular, but not identical, each one has their own individuality and personality and should be loved as such for who they are.

...and I understand that outward appearance alone is not enough, we need to also feel that emotional connection with them, so even though I am looking for some specific preferences, in addition to those outward preferences there also must be that emotional connection too.

Thank you as well. I am just glad to know that loving, sane, decent dog owners can feel this -- that they want the same type of dog, the same "look" and personality traits -- and it does not make you a monster to want this.

Yes, the pain is terrible. I only wish I could have had my precious little girl for 15 years; how lucky you were. Angel was so beautiful.

My current dog, Ladybug, WAS abused, at least two attacks by other dogs that put her in the hospital, plus bladder stone surgery in May, plus she was very overweight (though not anymore, at least we were able to get her down to a healthy weight with lots of exercise and good diet).

I do not blame THE DOG, I blame awful people who abused this poor creature.

The biggest thing I wish to share with you -- DO NOT GIVE UP. Don't listen to the naysayers. I'd give a million dollars to go back in time, and WAIT and the right dog was within my reach....such a pretty girl, she was only 2 and super sweet, and looked like Sasha's sister. BUT IT WAS TOO LATE, because I listened to naysayers and took a dog who was all wrong for us, and now we are stuck.

DO NOT GIVE UP. Wait for the right dog. It is worth a few more months, I promise you!

Thanks for the encouragement, it is appreciated !

...and I understand that outward appearance alone is not enough, we need to also feel that emotional connection with them, so even though I am looking for some specific preferences, in addition to those outward preferences there also must be that emotional connection too.

Thank you as well. I am just glad to know that loving, sane, decent dog owners can feel this -- that they want the same type of dog, the same "look" and personality traits -- and it does not make you a monster to want this.

Yes, the pain is terrible. I only wish I could have had my precious little girl for 15 years; how lucky you were. Angel was so beautiful.

My current dog, Ladybug, WAS abused, at least two attacks by other dogs that put her in the hospital, plus bladder stone surgery in May, plus she was very overweight (though not anymore, at least we were able to get her down to a healthy weight with lots of exercise and good diet).

I do not blame THE DOG, I blame awful people who abused this poor creature.

The biggest thing I wish to share with you -- DO NOT GIVE UP. Don't listen to the naysayers. I'd give a million dollars to go back in time, and WAIT and the right dog was within my reach....such a pretty girl, she was only 2 and super sweet, and looked like Sasha's sister. BUT IT WAS TOO LATE, because I listened to naysayers and took a dog who was all wrong for us, and now we are stuck.

DO NOT GIVE UP. Wait for the right dog. It is worth a few more months, I promise you!

Thanks Laurel, basically it's like you said, there is nothing wrong with wanting a specific type of dog as long as we realize it's not going to be the same dog, but she will have her own unique individuality.

Angel was (and still is) very very special to us and we realize no dog could ever replace her, but she loved everyone so much we know she would want us to share our love with another dog.

We really do appreciate your encouragement and do not intend on giving up finding one with both - the looks we want - as well as - the right personality that will "click" and have that emotional connection also.

We have a lot of people we contacted who know what we're looking for so hopefully that will shorten the wait considerably, because it is not easy to be patient, but we know we must.

I'd give a million dollars to go back in time, and WAIT and the right dog was within my reach....such a pretty girl, she was only 2 and super sweet, and looked like Sasha's sister. BUT IT WAS TOO LATE, because I listened to naysayers and took a dog who was all wrong for us, and now we are stuck.

How do you know that dog was right for you? You just saw her on a rescue site, didn't you?

You didn't end up with the right dog so do you not think that you are creating an idealised image of the other dog that you never knew simply because she looked like Sasha? Rescue descriptions aren't always accurate and sometimes they are but the dog is very different in a particular home. At the very least you need to meet the dog.

Of course it doesn't make you a monster. What it makes you is someone who has had only one or two border collies. People who have had many border collies have learned that dogs who look different from the dog they lost or the picture in their mind can be just as perfect for them as the dog who looks just like the dog they lost or the picture in their mind. That looks really don't matter, and don't tell you much that is worth knowing. That a different look can prove just as captivating and lovable and precious over time as the look you craved. They are trying to pass along this knowledge that experience has taught them, but it's knowledge that probably can only be acquired through experience, so the effort is futile.

Gary and Karen, pick the dog you want. Laurel, please take Ladybug back to the shelter. Dogs are more sensitive to your feelings than you probably can realize. At this point, it's evident that you bitterly resent this dog and what having her has done to your life. You are not wrong to feel that way -- you have every reason to feel that way. But the dog certainly senses your feelings regardless of how you may try to conceal them from her, and that does not bode well for a positive outcome with her. (I know that you love her too, and no doubt she senses that love also, but that just makes it worse -- your feelings are conflicted and incoherent, and dogs seek clarity and respond badly to incoherence.) Right now you feel paralyzed, desperate, STUCK, with no acceptable alternative open to you. Take her back to the shelter, fully describe her behavior to them, go home, and resume looking for a dog you really want. Gary and Karen, sorry for the hijack. Good luck to all.

Obviously, I already stated that I do believe that an open mind is a healthy mind.

But to play devils advocate, and based on many years of experiences of trying to talk people out of the pretty yellow horse with the long mane :lol: (no I have nothing against palominos!) I know that looks are very important to many. And I believe the OP has posted plenty of times now that he is not at all ignoring temperament - he just wants both! ;)

So having said this, back on the looks are important subject. Many years ago I read an article, and I am 99.9% certain it was actually in the Ranch Dog Trainer, about picking a pup. In which the author gave some credit to not ignoring preference of look. He seemed to believe that if you like the basics, then humans where more willing to actually "put up" with training issues that come along. Or temperament issues. Premise of course being that a pup is a crap shoot.

At this point I will admit that for some reason I am always stuck with the last one or the "left over". And it has worked out most excellent for me for the most part. But the few times I went looking and only one was left and I did not like the look...I walked. After all, something has to speak to me too. And to me it was not a specific look but attraction that has been totally individual. Human partners are kind of the same thing when you think about it. Much easier to get to know and put up B), with someone you are attracted to than not. We all have a type. If what we want, is what we need, well, that is to be debated. But if you found the type that worked for you once and loose it, heaven forbid, it is really, really hard not to have high standards.

Years ago I kept seeing a picture of a pup on a GSD site for months. The first time I saw the pic of the pup who was so not what I normally prefer, I fell in love with her. Yes, from a pic. And I had promised not to do that again. Several months went by before I called (weak, yes!) thinking that she would be gone for sure. Yeah, no such luck! Shipping was delayed due to personal issues and in between I got pics that made me question my sanity. Yet, when I opened the crate door at the airport...she was mine instantly. To this day, one of my most favorite dogs and one that has taught me so much. I will go as far as saying that she will be my last GSD because I don't think (and don't ask me why), that I can top her and her predecessor when it comes to that breed.

My personal horses have always been odd to say the least. Yet all of them where workers. They all won me over by their ability rather than looks. so no, I don't fall in the looks category, but I can not poo poo the idea 100% either. And yes, with my riding students, I have found, that they are much more willing to work with something that attracts them, than not. As the author of the article had kind of hinted at. My current school horse is one such case. Many look at him cross ways before they get to know him. After, they think he is the most beautiful horse ever! B) And we let him think that too!

And yes, everyone has clearly stated for him to keep an open mind and not poo pooed the idea totally. But I just was thinking about this and wanted to put it out there. my 0.02 cents worth as they say!

Of course it doesn't make you a monster. What it makes you is someone who has had only one or two border collies. People who have had many border collies have learned that dogs who look different from the dog they lost or the picture in their mind can be just as perfect for them as the dog who looks just like the dog they lost or the picture in their mind. That looks really don't matter, and don't tell you much that is worth knowing. That a different look can prove just as captivating and lovable and precious over time as the look you craved. They are trying to pass along this knowledge that experience has taught them, but it's knowledge that probably can only be acquired through experience, so the effort is futile.

Gary and Karen, pick the dog you want. Laurel, please take Ladybug back to the shelter. Dogs are more sensitive to your feelings than you probably can realize. At this point, it's evident that you bitterly resent this dog and what having her has done to your life. You are not wrong to feel that way -- you have every reason to feel that way. But the dog certainly senses your feelings regardless of how you may try to conceal them from her, and that does not bode well for a positive outcome with her. (I know that you love her too, and no doubt she senses that love also, but that just makes it worse -- your feelings are conflicted and incoherent, and dogs seek clarity and respond badly to incoherence.) Right now you feel paralyzed, desperate, STUCK, with no acceptable alternative open to you. Take her back to the shelter, fully describe her behavior to them, go home, and resume looking for a dog you really want. Gary and Karen, sorry for the hijack. Good luck to all.

Thanks Eileen, and you are welcome to jump in on any discussion :-)

I understand and appreciate the wisdom and experience of all the forum members, and even though there will obviously be times when there will be differing opinions on some topics (like dry food or can, bones or no bones, rawhide or no rawhide, ect.) I feel very assured that everyone speaks their views from a very deep love and concern for dogs.

I truely understand and agree that outward appearance alone is not enough, the dog must also have a compatable personality with us where there is that emotional connection between us and the dog and of course we can't tell that from a web site photo - we won't know till we meet the dog in person.

Having said that, us humans do tend to have at least some preferences in appearance and type, it's not that it would not be possible to love any other type of dog just as much, but there is a tendency to look for a certain type. After all, it seems most of the people on this forum are hooked on border collies / mixes, not that some don't have (or would consider) a non-border collie breed, but I get the feeling most on the forum have a preference for border collie / mixes :-)

Nothing against other breeds, they have their fans also, but it seems many of us on this forum have a preference for border collie / mixes, .....and some also have a preference in type and looks too.

Bottom line - I appreciate everyone on this forum because I truely believe you all speak from a deep love for dogs reguardless of our various views in some areas !

Obviously, I already stated that I do believe that an open mind is a healthy mind.

But to play devils advocate, and based on many years of experiences of trying to talk people out of the pretty yellow horse with the long mane :lol: (no I have nothing against palominos!) I know that looks are very important to many. And I believe the OP has posted plenty of times now that he is not at all ignoring temperament - he just wants both! ;)

So having said this, back on the looks are important subject. Many years ago I read an article, and I am 99.9% certain it was actually in the Ranch Dog Trainer, about picking a pup. In which the author gave some credit to not ignoring preference of look. He seemed to believe that if you like the basics, then humans where more willing to actually "put up" with training issues that come along. Or temperament issues. Premise of course being that a pup is a crap shoot.

At this point I will admit that for some reason I am always stuck with the last one or the "left over". And it has worked out most excellent for me for the most part. But the few times I went looking and only one was left and I did not like the look...I walked. After all, something has to speak to me too. And to me it was not a specific look but attraction that has been totally individual. Human partners are kind of the same thing when you think about it. Much easier to get to know and put up B), with someone you are attracted to than not. We all have a type. If what we want, is what we need, well, that is to be debated. But if you found the type that worked for you once and loose it, heaven forbid, it is really, really hard not to have high standards.

Years ago I kept seeing a picture of a pup on a GSD site for months. The first time I saw the pic of the pup who was so not what I normally prefer, I fell in love with her. Yes, from a pic. And I had promised not to do that again. Several months went by before I called (weak, yes!) thinking that she would be gone for sure. Yeah, no such luck! Shipping was delayed due to personal issues and in between I got pics that made me question my sanity. Yet, when I opened the crate door at the airport...she was mine instantly. To this day, one of my most favorite dogs and one that has taught me so much. I will go as far as saying that she will be my last GSD because I don't think (and don't ask me why), that I can top her and her predecessor when it comes to that breed.

My personal horses have always been odd to say the least. Yet all of them where workers. They all won me over by their ability rather than looks. so no, I don't fall in the looks category, but I can not poo poo the idea 100% either. And yes, with my riding students, I have found, that they are much more willing to work with something that attracts them, than not. As the author of the article had kind of hinted at. My current school horse is one such case. Many look at him cross ways before they get to know him. After, they think he is the most beautiful horse ever! B) And we let him think that too!

And yes, everyone has clearly stated for him to keep an open mind and not poo pooed the idea totally. But I just was thinking about this and wanted to put it out there. my 0.02 cents worth as they say!

Thanks for your insight "G" ! (and based on inflation, the 2 cents worth is probally up to $1.02 now :-)

.....an added note -

I really can understand your advice to Laurel, but it could still be a tough decision even if it is a decision she might consider, and if that decision was made, I'm sure it would be best to find a no-kill shelter or rescue so that at least she would know there will not be a time limit for the shelter/rescue to find a more compatible family for Ladybug.

.....an added note -

I really can understand your advice to Laurel, but it could still be a tough decision even if it is a decision she might consider, and if that decision was made, I'm sure it would be best to find a no-kill shelter or rescue so that at least she would know there will not be a time limit for the shelter/rescue to find a more compatible family for Ladybug.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is not realistic to expect a no-kill shelter or rescue to find a compatible family for a confirmed biter. The liability issue is too serious to take a chance.

Jovi