BC Boards

Food, Treats, Toys, ect. - What do you think is the best ?

The Walmart link says it has just 6 ingredients, but I couldn't find anywhere that says what those 6 ingredients are. Usually limited ingredient foods and treats are OK.

I did a search online and found this for the crunchy treats -

Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Real Chicken, Oat Fiber, Olive Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Salt.

found at -

http://nutrish.rachaelray.com/products/just6/just-6-chicken-dog-treats

and this for the chewy treats -

Wheat Flour, Glycerin, Chicken (preserved with potassium sorbate), Olive Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Chicken Flavor, Water

found at -

http://nutrish.rachaelray.com/products/just6/just-6-soft-chicken-treats

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Walmart link says it has just 6 ingredients, but I couldn't find anywhere that says what those 6 ingredients are. Usually limited ingredient foods and treats are OK.

I had a problem finding the ingredients at first too until I ran my cursor over the picture. They are listed on the bottom of the bag. They don't sound bad though I would wonder where the rice flour is made (crunchy treats).

You can also cut up some hot dog weiners and/or cheese for treats too. Keeping Zena guessing on which treat she'll get will help keep her interest. High value treats will help you get her attention if she's doing something you don't want her too.

Personally, I don't like to feed glycerin or natural flavors, but I don't know that I would feel so strongly about it in the amounts that your dog would get in treats, I just wouldn't use a dog food with those ingredients in it.

Interesting on the Rachel Ray ingredients - the olive oil, in particular. For some reason, I was under the impression that dogs did not get much benefit from vegetable fats versus animal fats. That's why I've always looked for animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols) rather than any vegetable fats in dog food, and why I supplement their diets with animal fat (since most kibbles do not have the protein:fat ratio of 3:2 that I prefer).

If I wasn't so tired mentally, I'd check out and see if I'm imagining things (about the vegetable versus animal fats) or not.

I did a search online and found this for the crunchy treats -

Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Real Chicken, Oat Fiber, Olive Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Salt.

found at -

http://nutrish.rachaelray.com/products/just6/just-6-chicken-dog-treats

and this for the chewy treats -

Wheat Flour, Glycerin, Chicken (preserved with potassium sorbate), Olive Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Chicken Flavor, Water

found at -

http://nutrish.rachaelray.com/products/just6/just-6-soft-chicken-treats

Neither of these sound too bad. (The first seems better than the second since I prefer not to feed my dog wheat flour.) Again, if these treats are fed in moderation, I am a tiny bit less picky about giving my dog the occasional disgusting crunchy treat (which he LOVES) than if I were using it as a main food source.

Don't limit yourself to dog treats, think human food too (as alligande recommended). It is so easy to cut up or tear into little treat size pieces (the size of a pencil eraser) any hot dog (preferably low-fat and/or chicken or turkey hot dogs) or string cheese or cheese blocks (cut into sizes that approximate string cheese then tear off little pieces). Look for frozen meatballs (buy the ones with the least amount of spices) which you can pinch off bits to feed.

Run the numbers, and you might find that some of the human food is less $ per pound than quality dog treats.

To get you started on making your own treats, here is a link:

http://www.doggiestylish.com/Free-Dog-Treats/

Jovi

I really do trust the integrety of the people on this forum as I believe you all very much love your dogs and would never intentionally give them anything that would truely be bad for them, but we (including myself) are still learning and may not yet be aware of everything we should.

I was doing some searching online and one place said that cheese, being high in fat, can cause problems with dogs, also that regular "hot dogs", being full of nitrates and other chemicals are not really good for dogs or humans (I guess there are some safe versions that don't use those harmful chemicals).

Also I read that garlic can be bad for dogs just like onions are, but I have seen where at least one dog food company use some onion and garlic powder in their recipes !

My last dog lived to just over 15 years old and was pretty healthy right up to her last day and I had fed her regular basic can food and treats from Walmart as I was not much aware of all what to be concerned about as far as the pet food industry, thankfully the foods I unknowingly chose did not seem to have any bad effect on her, but getting a new puppy yonger than I had had before I started doing some research and was quite surprised at some of the sad things I learned, but I guess it shouldn't surprise us to realize that many companies value their "bottom line" profits much mcuh more than providing a safe and nutritious food for dogs.

It would be good to have a "sticky thread" with a list of trustworthy pet food companies that have been proven to have food that is not only safe but truely wholesome and nutritious for dogs.

Anyhow, in some searching I just did here are some things I found that seem like they could be cause for concern.

(I can't vouch for any of the web sites or info on them and do not necessiarly endorse everything on those sites, but the main articles give you something to think about)

http://www.homevet.com/index.php/diet-discussion/item/315-an-excerpt-from-the-book-food-pets-die-for

http://www.thedogpress.com/DogFood/Ingredients_Liquorman.asp

http://www.naturalnews.com/028904_organic_pet_food.html

http://healthfreedoms.org/2010/03/29/chipped-pets-develop-fast-growing-tumors/

.......excerpt copied from a blog someone wrote, it would indeed be very sad if what he said is accurate about most pet foods -

(start of copy of excerpt from someone's online blog)

I do as a pet owner remind you that the entire pet food industry, irrespective of claims of wholesomeness, natural, filler free, real, etc., is completely adulterated in bad for any animals ingredients, in products or brands that are unregulated whatsoever for safety!

Read the books on the subject, by Dr. Marion Nestle and others, posted in the food recommended reading section of this web site.

Assurances of quality in pet food are BOGUS; the average cat or dog DIES 8 years earlier in North America, than pets or animals in Europe (FACT), or elsewhere, eating real human table scraps, including vegetables!

The double digit multi billion dollar pet food industry is set up to get animals sick, so that vets make in turn can money!

I am NOT anti vets! But I am telling you you do not need your animals there more than perhaps an annual visit at most, it that!

This is not dissimilar from humans being harmed with products like High Fructose Corn Syrup, so drug companies prosper, or supposed tooth-friendly oral care brands actually harming to send revenue to dental practitioners!

You are being RIPPED-OFF if you are feeding you pets canned or cereal dry foods and harming them!

I don’t care how much per pound you are paying for the hyped stuff, you are being bamboozled!

Want healthy pets?! Feed the Zija® Smart Mix, and real food, you would consume.

We do.

(end of copy of excerpt from someone's blog)

Honestly, that blog post sounds...wrong. I find it hard to believe dogs in North America die an entire 8 years earlier than 'elsewhere', which is oh so...vague. I highly doubt the pet food industry is designed to make pets sick and have to go to the vet (this sounds like an extremist talking, IMO, in that blog post), it's designed to turn a profit, much like the bad part of our food industry.

It is a blessing in disguise that I and one sibling in particular have so many food allergies (corn, gluten, milk, coconut, citric acid, and on!), because in turn we have been made so food-conscious. We're fortunate enough to be able to buy organic food and support good conditions for animals, but not everyone has the luxury. I always go with 'you do the best you can'.

My dogs do have snausages and milk bones on occasion, and other than being extremely excited sport no ill effects. The cats and dogs eat Blue Buffalo grain free food as their regular food. If there's 'Real Meat' in Marshalls marked down they'll get that for treats, otherwise I can't justify buying that at such a high rate. As for cheese and fat, everything in moderation should play a role there. Just my take.

Honestly, that blog post sounds like a pre-planned endorsement post. I find it hard to believe dogs in North America die an entire 8 years earlier than 'elsewhere', which is oh so...vague. I highly doubt the pet food industry is designed to make pets sick and have to go to the vet (this sounds like an extremist talking, IMO, in that blog post), it's designed to turn a profit, much like the bad part of our food industry.

It is a blessing in disguise that I and one sibling in particular have so many food allergies (corn, gluten, milk, coconut, citric acid, and on!), because in turn we have been made so food-conscious. We're fortunate enough to be able to buy organic food and support good conditions for animals, but not everyone has the luxury. I always go with 'you do the best you can'.

My dogs do have snausages and milk bones on occasion, and other than being extremely excited sport no ill effects. The cats and dogs eat Blue Buffalo grain free food as their regular food. If there's 'Real Meat' in Marshalls marked down they'll get that for treats, otherwise I can't justify buying that at such a high rate. As for cheese and fat, everything in moderation should play a role there. Just my take.

I agree that blog poster does seem to take it too extreme as I don't believe ALL dog food companies are untrustworthy and deliberately make bad food, but from what I have read elsewhere it is not too hard to believe that there are many dog food companies that place a much higher priority on profits than on making a safe, wholesome and nutritious food. (it still would be interesting to find out for sure if dogs in Europe have generally better health than dogs in the U.S.)

I have heard good things about "Blue Buffalo", unfortunately they don't sell it around here as far as I can tell. I am stuck with finding the best I can at Walmart or a local grocery store. The Purina One Smartblend Puppy food lists chicken meat as the main ingredient so that is what we are using now.

(and today I traded in an unopened box of Ol Roy treats for a bag of Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6 Crunchies Dog Treats With Chicken)

Have you thought about buying dog food online? There are several sites from which you can do it. Chewy.com, petfooddirect.com, and petflow.com come to mind...I'm going to do that since I'd like to feed my dog Fromm when I do get it. I like their recall-free history, which I can't say about Blue. Nowhere around here sells it except for a pet store that sells puppies, which I won't support with my purchases.

Have you thought about buying dog food online? There are several sites from which you can do it. Chewy.com, petfooddirect.com, and petflow.com come to mind...I'm going to do that since I'd like to feed my dog Fromm when I do get it. I like their recall-free history, which I can't say about Blue. Nowhere around here sells it except for a pet store that sells puppies, which I won't support with my purchases.

I had considered it, but I would need to find a place where the total cost (including shipping) would be comparable to what I would pay if I bought it in person because we are on a somewhat tight budget.

Ideally I would like to be able to make my own dog biscuits so I would know they are safe and healthy.

I saw an ad for the following product and was wondering if anyone on the forum has tried this and can give a review as to if this is worth getting -

https://www.bakeabone.com/

It is called "Bake A Bone" where you can make 4 biscuits in 8 minutes either using prepackaged mixes or using your own homemade mix from your own recipe or a recipe from their recipe book.

It seems ok but I prefer hearing reviews from actual users before making such a purchase to be sure it is worth getting.

I know there could be some differing opinions in some areas

Heh!

1.) What type of food do you think is best - dry, can, moist packets, homemade, adding any people food to dog food, ect., also if there are preferred brands of dog food to use as well as brands to avoid?
Raw food is the best, but I do supplement with a low grain kibble if the farmers at the market are running low on raw food products(which I get for less than $1.00/lb so don't let people tell you it's too expensive to feed raw). There are far more brands to avoid than there are good brands. I feed Evanger's with a pheasant protein.

Smallest dumps I've ever seen feeding a dry food. That's a good gauge, btw, if you're feeding 2-3cups of food per day and your dog is pooping that much out, there's probable a ton of fillers in the food that the dog isn't using.

2.) What "treats" are preferred, and what treats to avoid?
I recommend avoiding all food treats, but I know people just get all giddy giving them despite the consequences. Use regular kibble if you just have to treat.

3.) Toys - preferred toys as well as any toys to avoid, especially wondering about rawhide type stuff (rawhide bones, strips, sticks, ect.) as I have heard both pro and con on rawhide stuff.
I would put rawhide bones, strips, etc in the "treats" category. Toys are non-edible. I have roughly 150 different objects that I use as "toys", but the canvas frisbee gets by far the most use.

4.) Do you prefer to use a regular collar or a harness when using a leash?
I don't use collars. A $2.99 nylon leash is the best if you need your dog on a leash. I haven't used one of those on my own dog in 5-6 years, but they're great and your dog won't have to deal with a collar. A flat buckle collar will work for sheepdog training if you're using a line.

5.) What is your preferred method of tick and flea avoidance, (flea/tick collars or spray, pills, ect.) or is there a preferred more natural approach that avoids man-made chemicals ?
I use cedar oil as a preventative once a week and it works fairly well most of the year. I use frontline once or twice a year when things get bad in the summer.

6.) What is your preferred and most safe and effective methods for avoiding or eliminating ear mites ?
I have never dealt with ear mites, but there are a million flushes out there. Avoid anything and everything from Hartz.

7.) What do you feel is best to use for shampooing your dog at bath time and how often should we gives our dogs a bath, we all like our in house dogs to be fresh and clean smelling (and they seem to prefer it too :-) but what should be the average normal frequency of baths ? (barring of course the exceptions when they find a mud puddle or otherwise get messy and need bathed immediately ;-)
I've given my dog 2-3 baths with shampoo in his eight years of being on this planet. You're better off letting their own oils take care of things. Use a hose to get rid of the bulk mud, blood, etc, but leave them be otherwise.

I honestly don't understand the point of the bake-a-bone product. $40 and you get a gimmicky plastic object that makes cute shapes? And only 4 at a time?!

For about $1 you can get a bone shaped cookie cutter and bake a couple dozen on a cookie sheet in the same time. If you just google 'homemade dog biscuits' or 'dog treat recipe' you can get all kinds of ideas. Just shape them into little circles and bake til hard. Or you can just treat your dog with dehydrated meat. I wouldn't over complicate things and buy something that is designed to appeal to humans. Your dog would love a carrot or a piece of cooked beef liver (trust me, the liver does not appeal to humans, just to dogs! :D ) just as much as a bone shaped cookie.

I agree with waffles. I wouldn’t buy it. (It would end up in the small appliance graveyard here. :) ) You can get a lower end food dehydrator for $40 or less and get more uses out of it. If you don’t want to invest in a food dehydrator, you can dry food/treats in your oven.

Not only are cookie cutters inexpensive, for plain dog cookies/biscuits you can spread the dough on a cookie sheet and cut it with a pizza cutter before baking. (All bone shaped cookie cutters are larger than what I would feed my dogs for treats. I would have to break them up after baking if I used one.)

Heh!

Raw food is the best, but I do supplement with a low grain kibble if the farmers at the market are running low on raw food products(which I get for less than $1.00/lb so don't let people tell you it's too expensive to feed raw). There are far more brands to avoid than there are good brands. I feed Evanger's with a pheasant protein.

Smallest dumps I've ever seen feeding a dry food. That's a good gauge, btw, if you're feeding 2-3cups of food per day and your dog is pooping that much out, there's probable a ton of fillers in the food that the dog isn't using.

I recommend avoiding all food treats, but I know people just get all giddy giving them despite the consequences. Use regular kibble if you just have to treat.

I would put rawhide bones, strips, etc in the "treats" category. Toys are non-edible. I have roughly 150 different objects that I use as "toys", but the canvas frisbee gets by far the most use.

I don't use collars. A $2.99 nylon leash is the best if you need your dog on a leash. I haven't used one of those on my own dog in 5-6 years, but they're great and your dog won't have to deal with a collar. A flat buckle collar will work for sheepdog training if you're using a line.

I use cedar oil as a preventative once a week and it works fairly well most of the year. I use frontline once or twice a year when things get bad in the summer.

I have never dealt with ear mites, but there are a million flushes out there. Avoid anything and everything from Hartz.

I've given my dog 2-3 baths with shampoo in his eight years of being on this planet. You're better off letting their own oils take care of things. Use a hose to get rid of the bulk mud, blood, etc, but leave them be otherwise.

Thanks for the input, since I wrote that post my Vet recommended and prescribed a monthly tablet of Trifexis, that kills fleas as well as addresses other possible issues.

Here is a copy of the description:

Trifexis for Dogs

Form Factor: Remind Me 1-ct - Strength/Size 10.1-20 lbs (Orange)

Part Number: 21433306MD

Manufacturer: ELANCO

Detailed Description

Trifexis (spinosad & milbemycin oxime) is a monthly, chewable tablet for dogs that kills fleas, prevents heartworm disease, and treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm and whipworm infections. Trifexis combines two trusted active ingredients to provide protection for your dog against these dangerous parasites.

honestly don't understand the point of the bake-a-bone product. $40 and you get a gimmicky plastic object that makes cute shapes? And only 4 at a time?!

For about $1 you can get a bone shaped cookie cutter and bake a couple dozen on a cookie sheet in the same time. If you just google 'homemade dog biscuits' or 'dog treat recipe' you can get all kinds of ideas. Just shape them into little circles and bake til hard. Or you can just treat your dog with dehydrated meat. I wouldn't over complicate things and buy something that is designed to appeal to humans. Your dog would love a carrot or a piece of cooked beef liver (trust me, the liver does not appeal to humans, just to dogs! ) just as much as a bone shaped cookie.

I agree with waffles. I wouldn’t buy it. (It would end up in the small appliance graveyard here. :)/> ) You can get a lower end food dehydrator for $40 or less and get more uses out of it. If you don’t want to invest in a food dehydrator, you can dry food/treats in your oven.

Not only are cookie cutters inexpensive, for plain dog cookies/biscuits you can spread the dough on a cookie sheet and cut it with a pizza cutter before baking. (All bone shaped cookie cutters are larger than what I would feed my dogs for treats. I would have to break them up after baking if I used one.)

Very good points, I'll have to check online for some recipes and how long / tempature to bake.

.....I just did a quick search and copied these 2 recipes to see if anyone thinks ALL of these ingredients are ok to use for dogs/puppies.

Peanut Butter Dog Biscuit Recipe with Oatmeal

Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour (you can use another type of flour if your dog is sensitive to wheat)

1 cup rolled oats>

1/3 cup peanut butter, chunky or smooth (I used smooth this time)

1 1/4 cups hot water

Additional flour for rolling

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350° F

Mix dry ingredients together.

Mix in the peanut butter and hot water. You may need to add more flour if the dough is too sticky.

Knead the dough well.

Roll out the dough into 1/4" thickness and cut into shapes with dog cookie cutters.

Note - This recipe doesn't call for it, but I put an egg wash (one egg whisked with a fork and then brushed on with a pastry brush) on the treats before I baked them. It gives them a nice sheen once they're baked. Here's how they look before baking.

Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for 40 minutes. Turn off the oven and let them cool overnight.

If you and your dog can't wait that long, cool them completely on a wire rack before serving.

Instead of cutting out more shapes with the left over peanut butter and oatmeal dough, I rolled it into balls. Then I made a cross hatch fork mark on the dog cookies. This is the same way you would do for human peanut butter cookies.

After: The cookies get very hard, just the way dogs like them!

Storing: This peanut butter dog biscuit recipe makes biscuits that will last in a sealed air tight container at room temperature for one week. You can store them in the refrigerator for 3 weeks and in the freezer for up to 6 months.

------------------------------------------------

Peanut Butter Biscuits for Puppies

2 cups whole wheat flour (or half and half regular flour and wheat)

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth)

1 cup milk (I use skim)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375'F.

Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl.

In a seperate bowl, mix peanut butter and milk, then add to dry ingredients and mix well.

Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness and use cut out into shapes. (A dog cookie cutter if you have one).

Place on greased baking sheet, and bake for 14 minutes. (Watch carefully so not to burn). Let cool on a wire rack, and call your dog while warm, but not hot. (Be careful here.).

Store in an airtight container for up to one week.

Seriously? You're concerned about wheat flour, oats, peanut butter, and milk?

J.

Well, if I remember right I thought there was one or more people who was not too keen on wheat flour for dogs, and I thought I remembered reading somewhere where the lactose in milk was not great for dogs.

I just wanted to be sure, after all there are some things the average person might be surprised to learn is seriously bad for dogs like grapes and raisins, now I didn't think wheat flour would be seriously bad for dogs, but that perhaps that it might be something that is not preferrable for dogs.

I know peanut butter is ok, So you are saying wheat flour, oats and milk are indeed perfectly ok to use for dogs then ?

Gary, I think you're confusing treats with kibble/meals. If you are going to give Zena only a few treats a day, yes, wheat flour, oats and milk are ok.

If you don't feel comfortable giving Zena wheat flour, substitute rye flour. If you don't feel comfortable giving Zena cow's milk, substitute goat's milk. (I have a problem finding rye flour locally but I know the Walmart closest to us sells goat's milk in the dairy section.)

Gary,

There are people who believe that a grain-free diet is healthier. There is evidence that gluten (found in wheat) can cause health problems in some humans (celiac disease/gluten intolerance). Lactose intolerance is common in adult mammals but not baby mammals (obviously). I have not researched gluten intolerance in dogs, but offhand I would say it's possible but not highly probable. People who feed grain-free diets or choose to go gluten (wheat)-free for their dogs may do so because they have seen evidence of intolerance in their individual dogs. But it's not a universal thing. If I have milk that has expired, I will add it to my dogs' kibble without ill effect. I do not feed a grain-free diet because I believe that grains are appropriate for border collies, because the breed was largely developed by people who would NOT have fed dogs exclusively meat.

I have used oatmeal as a means to add weight to a dog who lost weight on a grain-free diet, and use oatmeal for any dog that I want to add a little weight to at low cost.

An individual dog can have a problem with any "safe" ingredient. As Brenda points out, you're not planning to exclusively feed your dog wheat, oats, milk or peanut butter. Unless your dog has a particular sensitivity to any of those ingredients, then you are unlikely to harm her by feeding her treats that contain those ingredients.

It's all about balance. I have fed a dog grapes before (1 or 2 at a time) and it didn't kill him. I had a former boss who used to give her cocker spaniel M&Ms as treats. While I wouldn't recommend that, her dog suffered no ill effects from the occasional chocolate. Contrast that with the dog who eats a pound (or three) of M&Ms, which is a medical emergency. Onions can cause hemolytic anemia, and yet if I have left over pot roast that i want to give the dogs and there is a small amount of onion in there, I don't worry that I'm going to kill them. The point is to know your individual dog, be careful, but not to obsess over things. If you look at the ingredients of most dog treats and the ones you make will contain similar ingredients (minus the colorants, preservatives, etc.) then chances are you're making something that's safe for your dog to eat.

J.

Gary,

There are people who believe that a grain-free diet is healthier. There is evidence that gluten (found in wheat) can cause health problems in some humans (celiac disease/gluten intolerance). Lactose intolerance is common in adult mammals but not baby mammals (obviously). I have not researched gluten intolerance in dogs, but offhand I would say it's possible but not highly probable. People who feed grain-free diets or choose to go gluten (wheat)-free for their dogs may do so because they have seen evidence of intolerance in their individual dogs. But it's not a universal thing. If I have milk that has expired, I will add it to my dogs' kibble without ill effect. I do not feed a grain-free diet because I believe that grains are appropriate for border collies, because the breed was largely developed by people who would NOT have fed dogs exclusively meat.

I have used oatmeal as a means to add weight to a dog who lost weight on a grain-free diet, and use oatmeal for any dog that I want to add a little weight to at low cost.

An individual dog can have a problem with any "safe" ingredient. As Brenda points out, you're not planning to exclusively feed your dog wheat, oats, milk or peanut butter. Unless your dog has a particular sensitivity to any of those ingredients, then you are unlikely to harm her by feeding her treats that contain those ingredients.

It's all about balance. I have fed a dog grapes before (1 or 2 at a time) and it didn't kill him. I had a former boss who used to give her cocker spaniel M&Ms as treats. While I wouldn't recommend that, her dog suffered no ill effects from the occasional chocolate. Contrast that with the dog who eats a pound (or three) of M&Ms, which is a medical emergency. Onions can cause hemolytic anemia, and yet if I have left over pot roast that i want to give the dogs and there is a small amount of onion in there, I don't worry that I'm going to kill them. The point is to know your individual dog, be careful, but not to obsess over things. If you look at the ingredients of most dog treats and the ones you make will contain similar ingredients (minus the colorants, preservatives, etc.) then chances are you're making something that's safe for your dog to eat.

J.

Thanks Julie, well thought out comments, I guess after having lost a beloved dog about 2 months ago I am leaning towards the overly cautious side as I want to try to give our new dog the best chance I can for a long and healthy life. (so personally I would not even want to risk trying grapes or rasins even if others did not have a problem with giving a few)

Our puppy is now about 14 weeks old and has not yet grown out of the stage where she can get quite hyper at times, so I guess one thing is that I would want to avoid any foods that might add to her hyper-ness.

It would be nice if there were some safe, natural foods that would promote calmness :-)

Gary, I think you're confusing treats with kibble/meals. If you are going to give Zena only a few treats a day, yes, wheat flour, oats and milk are ok.

If you don't feel comfortable giving Zena wheat flour, substitute rye flour. If you don't feel comfortable giving Zena cow's milk, substitute goat's milk. (I have a problem finding rye flour locally but I know the Walmart closest to us sells goat's milk in the dairy section.)

Thanks for the ideas, after reading both yours and Julie's comments I guess that recipe would be ok to use as is as long as I don't notice any reason that would indicate any intolerance for those ingredients.

Calming food? How often do you work Zena mentally? How many tricks does she know now? Make her work her brain. Does she heel? Does she take food gently from your hand? How good is her recall? Can she give you a paw when asked? Teach her to give you left and/or right. Teach her how to take a bow and say her prayers. If your backyard isn’t fenced in, put a long line on her, take her outside, roll a ball she can chase and teach her to bring it back to you. Is there an obedience instructor that offers puppy socialization classes? If so, enroll her. If not, do you know other people with puppies? If so, set up playdates. (Personally, I would avoid dog parks. I don’t think they are “structured” well enough and she could get hurt.)

Puppies are a lot of work. That’s why I prefer older dogs. (Josie was somewhat of an exception. I was told she was 6 mo. old but at least she had all of her adult teeth.) But no matter what their age, a brain is a terrible thing to waste. Besides, just because a dog mature doesn’t mean their energy level will decrease. Example: The other day I gave our dogs a marrow bone apiece. (We always ask the butcher to cut 3 in half. That way we can get 2 "servings" but, and I could be wrong, I think Zena is too young for marrow bones.) Last night around midnight my Jake decided he wanted to play. We keep their toys put up so Jake decided to toss a marrow bone to get it to roll so he could pounce on it. Sometimes I think that boy is part cat. :rolleyes: Oh, BTW, Jake is 7 yrs old. Even my 10 yr old, JJ, gets the zoomies indoors sometimes when the weather doesn’t allow us to take them out to burn off some energy. At least I think JJ’s 10. His rescuer told us her vet told her he was about 2 when we adopted him back in 2004.

Gary,

J.

Yes, this ^^^^ Julie said it better than I could have.

IMHumbleO, you were overthinking and worrying too much about all the little things. But it is good to be cautious (to a point).

In a previous post, I gave you a link to a website with hundreds of dog treat recipes. Even I found a couple that I will try (and while I want to feed my dog with quality treats, I am also a bit lazy and don't want to spend hours making dog treats.)

Re: dogs eating 'toxic' foods - Back in the 80s (when I was a young and ignorant dog owner), I had a BC/Lab cross who loved grapes. She also managed to eat an entire half-pound of Godiva chocolates that I had been given as a Christmas present and stupidly left on the floor. No ill effects noticed. (The box was wrapped, and she unwrapped it very neatly. I don't know how she managed to untie the bow without tearing it. The box was neatly opened, and all the chocolates were eaten without disturbing a single 'paper cup' that they were nestled in. :D )

Jovi

Yes, this ^^^^ Julie said it better than I could have.

IMHumbleO, you were overthinking and worrying too much about all the little things. But it is good to be cautious (to a point).

In a previous post, I gave you a link to a website with hundreds of dog treat recipes. Even I found a couple that I will try (and while I want to feed my dog with quality treats, I am also a bit lazy and don't want to spend hours making dog treats.)

Re: dogs eating 'toxic' foods - Back in the 80s (when I was a young and ignorant dog owner), I had a BC/Lab cross who loved grapes. She also managed to eat an entire half-pound of Godiva chocolates that I had been given as a Christmas present and stupidly left on the floor. No ill effects noticed. (The box was wrapped, and she unwrapped it very neatly. I don't know how she managed to untie the bow without tearing it. The box was neatly opened, and all the chocolates were eaten without disturbing a single 'paper cup' that they were nestled in. :D/> )

Jovi

Thanks, it's amazing how sometimes things that are known toxic to dogs won't have any effects, but it's wise not deliberately give them such things, at least when your dog opened that box she was neat about it :-)

With my dog still being a relatively small puppy it is probally good to be more on the cautious side though because of the small size and not fully developed mature systems.