BC Boards

Food, Treats, Toys, ect. - What do you think is the best ?

Hannah loves Kongs, as did my GSD. I cut up rolled dog food to just the right size to make the pieces challenging to remove, and she bounces the Kong on the hardwood floor until the pieces dislodge one by one. The activity has the potential to be annoying until you learn to tone it out, but once I got used to it I wasn't bothered by it. It keeps her engaged but not obsessed. Once the food is gone, she may or may not toss the Kong around a bit.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Food

Anything your dog does well on. You might not need to spend as much money as you think. All mine are on cheapish kibble (no artificial additives) and have never had any problems on it. I used to feed mid range kibble but the only difference with the cheaper stuff is that there is more poo to pick up. On the other hand, the only one of my 5 that has needed her anal glands emptied hardly ever needs it done now. I'm not one to go to more trouble and expense than I have to to keep my dogs in good health. If they don't see a vet between annual check ups, if their coat is shiny, weight stable and energy levels good that's fine by me.

2. Treats

I rarely buy treats. Training is usually done with just a handful of kibble. Sometimes I use cheese. My dogs will eat anything as if it is a banquet. Occasionally I make tuna cake.

3. Toys

They have toys but only occasionally and under supervision as they destroy them and a couple of them will eat the result. Having had to have a toy blockage removed surgically from our BC I'm not going to risk it again. A black kong (not the weaker red ones) is the only thing I can leave them with. They'd all rather have my attention than a toy.

4. Collars/etc.

Flat clip collar. Sometimes a harness for any that pull as a properly fitted and balanced harness enables a dog to walk in a more natural way and actually reduces pulling.

5. Flea/tick

We don't get the range of parasites you do but for fleas and ticks I use the generic form of Frontline but do tend to do it less often than I used to so far with no appearance of the little pests. In 13 + years and over 6 dogs we have stayed tick free except for my only long coated dog which had 2 within a couple of weeks. We always go where there are sheep and deer so maybe we've just been lucky.

6. Ear Mites

Never had ear mites with mine but when I was helping in my mother's grooming business in the 60s we got a lot of poodles and a few cockers and ear mites were quite common.

7. Bathing

Nope. I used to but stopped a few tears ago. Stinky stuff rolled in just gets a spot wash. Our BC has never had a bath in the 6 years since we got him but his white bits are sparkly and his black bits glossy. If a dog smells or feels greasy it could be a sign of a health or diet problem, unless it's a breed that is supposed to have a greasy coat which BCs aren't. Unneutered dogs can be smellier though.

If you bath your dog regularly you will probably be stuck with the routine. As an example, we train on orange sand. A friend's BC that goes to the groomer to be bathed ever few weeks takes days for the orange stain to disappear. Our dog has white feet again within hours.

1.) What type of food do you think is best - dry, can, moist packets, homemade, adding any people food to dog food, ect., also if there are preferred brands of dog food to use as well as brands to avoid ?

An Prey Model Raw Diet is best, & that's what Bindy gets. For other Dogs? What you can afford,& what your dog can do good on. There are brands which I would never suggest to feed, but if the dog does good on it,& that's what you can afford. That's fine. There are only two brands that should be avoid at all costs:

• Kibbles'N'Bits

• Ol'Roy

Basically if you can afford an high quality food,Acana,Fromm,Orjien, Taste Of The Wild,Welness,& Ziwipeak. When we travel we'll use Orjien or Ziwipeak.

2.) What "treats" are preferred, and what treats to avoid ?

I use cheese, hot dogs,boiled chicken,boiled turkey, boiled duck,& boiled rabbit, I will occasionally use Zukes or Ziwipeak treats, especially when we travel. As stated above, what your dog does best on,& what you can afford.

3.) Toys - preferred toys as well as any toys to avoid, especially wondering about rawhide type stuff (rawhide bones, strips, sticks, ect.) as I have heard both pro and con on rawhide stuff.

I also don't use rawhides, because they split,& they can cause a blockage,& rawhides, can't properly be digest. Bindy gets deer antlers or raw bones. For toys? Kongs, nylabone,& some other brands. Bindy has some tug toys, a kongs,balls.

4.) Do you prefer to use a regular collar or a harness when using a leash ?

I use an regular flat buckle collar, when I was training Bindy I used the prong.

5.) What is your preferred method of tick and flea avoidance, (flea/tick collars or spray, pills, ect.) or is there a preferred more natural approach that avoids man-made chemicals ?

Here in Wisconsin Ticks are a HUGE problem. So we use an natural approach.

6.) What is your preferred and most safe and effective methods for avoiding or eliminating ear mites ?

Haven't had any problems with ear mites-so I don't have any input.

7.) What do you feel is best to use for shampooing your dog at bath time and how often should we gives our dogs a bath, we all like our in house dogs to be fresh and clean smelling (and they seem to prefer it too :-) but what should be the average normal frequency of baths ? (barring of course the exceptions when they find a mud puddle or otherwise get messy and need bathed immediately ;-)

Bindy doesn't get bathed much & when I do bathe her, we use a organic oatmeal shampoo

I feed raw and Brothers Complete.

I make jerky from any type of meat in my dehydrator for treats.

I have kongs and ropes and hooves and antlers, but their favorites and mine are raw bones. My dogs have sparkling white teeth and fresh breath.

I use a flat collar unless I have a dog that can't be trusted, then I use whatever works for that dog.

In FL fleas are a huge year round problem. Fronline, advantage, etc. don't work anymore. Comfortis/Trifexis still works here.

No earmites in dogs here.

I only bathe when one of them rolls in something NASTY. I use an organic essential oil shampoo. A little tube will last me a year.

Food: I feed Diamond Natural lamb & rice which I am able to buy at Tractor Supply so may your feed & seed story would also carry it. Seems good quality and not terribly expensive.

Treats: I pick from several brands, all of which are grain free and generally made of pumpkin or sweet potato and limited aritficial ingredients.

Toys: Balls, balls, balls! Jolly ball, Kong (traditional and Kong toys), Dog Savers. Unfortunately no stuffies... No rawhides or anything too hard like those tough Nylabone thingys.

Collars: Flat collar with brass nameplate from Gun Dog Supply

Fleas: Frontline

Mites: No experience

Bath: In the summer, once a week...just because I like it that way...in the winter only when needed..goes to the groomer once a quarter.

1.) What type of food do you think is best?

Raw and/or homemade.

2.) What "treats" are preferred, and what treats to avoid ?

I like cooked meats, CHEESE, homemade treats, and a few store bought ones. Zuke's minis, My Little Wolf, and Wellness treats are my favorites for training because they're soft, small and the dogs love them. Stay away from anything with a ton of ingredients. Grain free and 'all natural' (meaning I can look at the ingredients and know what most, if not all, of them are without looking things up) are preferred. I like cheese because its easy for the dogs to see when it lands on the floor or dirt, its easy, soft, and usually available in my fridge.

3.) Toys - preferred toys as well as any toys to avoid, especially wondering about rawhide type stuff (rawhide bones, strips, sticks, ect.) as I have heard both pro and con on rawhide stuff.

Kongs, squeaky balls, Tux (by West Paw Design), SkyHoundz Frisbees, and de-stuffed animals are all favorites here. No need for rawhide chews. Real raw bones do just fine.

4.) Do you prefer to use a regular collar or a harness when using a leash ?

Martingale collars for on-leash and 'naked' while safe at home (unless you've got a runner, then a flat buckly collar at home).

5.) What is your preferred method of tick and flea avoidance, (flea/tick collars or spray, pills, ect.) or is there a preferred more natural approach that avoids man-made chemicals ?

I prefer to use nothing and didn't ever use a preventive until I got Meg. I've never found a tick on Bear (in 12 years). Never had a problem with fleas either. However, Meg picks up ticks every spring/early summer so in May we do Frontline on her. My theory is that her longer fur is easier for ticks to stick in, plus she's shorter so more of her fur is in the taller grasses. Bear's fur is short and slick and he's taller, harder for ticks to grab onto. Or perhaps he just tastes bad.

6.) What is your preferred and most safe and effective methods for avoiding or eliminating ear mites ?

None of my dogs have ever had ear mites. Our biggest ear problem is dirt and fur build-up. Bear has floppy ears that get pretty dirty. I use ear-wash and cotton balls to help keep them clean and prevent infections.

7.) What do you feel is best to use for shampooing your dog at bath time and how often should we gives our dogs a bath, we all like our in house dogs to be fresh and clean smelling (and they seem to prefer it too :-) but what should be the average normal frequency of baths ? (barring of course the exceptions when they find a mud puddle or otherwise get messy and need bathed immediately ;-)

I've always just used the same shampoo as I use for myself. I don't like smelly stuff or potentially-cancer-causing stuff.

Meg gets bathed about once every 4-6 weeks. Her fur picks up everything and is prone to mattes. She isn't fond of being brushed, but she decided she likes baths and blow-drying now and is more apt to let me brush her while she's being blow-dried. I also trim up her hind 'feathers' at that time too as they pick up the most debris.

Bear is bathed as needed...he's got 'teflon' fur so its usually only 2-4 times a year, when he gets into something odd smelling or is really dusty. In the warmer months, he gets his bath outside and also likes to play in the hose so gets rinsed that way too.

• 1 month later...

My wife just bought a box of Ol Roy milk flavored biquits for puppies, saying our last dog did fine on them, is there any reason why I should not open the box and give them to our puppy ?

Maybe I'm just being over cautious, but I just want to be sure there are not any serious concerns about those bisquits.

How about any other brand they might sell at Walmart ?

(like "Milkbone" brand or other brands)

I would look to see where it is made. If it is made here, I might feed one as occasional treat. If it is made in China, I would not feed it.

I do feed Milk Bone in limited quantities. My dogs just *love* their Trail Mix. I don't see where it is made on the package, just "distributed by ___" which is a red flag that I will have to check out.

Sam's Club now carries a "Made in USA" chicken jerky (also says, "Made with USA chicken").

Well I would have to say that when the old man had run the company, it was a decent brand. he had made it for his bird dogs. I raised several dogs to old age with that brand. BUT in the last several years since the old man died, the son has cut corners and made it more into a money maker not a quality brand. I would not use it unless beyond desperate. That is just my 2 cents.

Well I would have to say that when the old man had run the company, it was a decent brand. he had made it for his bird dogs. I raised several dogs to old age with that brand. BUT in the last several years since the old man died, the son has cut corners and made it more into a money maker not a quality brand. I would not use it unless beyond desperate. That is just my 2 cents.

Interesting !

Makes you wonder IF the old man's son feeds his own dogs (if he has any) Ol Roy food right from the store shelf.

.....anyone have any input on "Milkbone" brand puppy biscuits or any other brands available at Walmart ?

I feed raw to my 12 border collies and 4 guard dogs. I will give them commercial treats...and if someone gave me a box, ol' roy...but in vary little moderation!

We make our treats or use little wee hot dog pieces, unless dixie eats the whole package. Cheese, left over roast etc make excellent treats. I have recipes for the bread maker as well for dog cookies

Toys: kongs, orange ball hockey balls, cuz (they love love love those), no stuffies, they last about a second and a half...and sticks, big small, mostly because Preacher brings them home from walks

Flea & tick: nothing unless there are fleas, which there has never been

collar: flat buckle with a name plate center ring

only ever had ear mites in bunnies...mineral oil

We use a shampoo called dirty dog...and they are bathed only if they roll in something really disgusting or if we have to take 6 of them in the car at once.

Cynthia

Neither would I feed any Ol'roy products,nor would I feed Kibbles'N'Bits,Beneful,or products similar to that. That's just my opinion though, & I am health conscious. I usually make my own treats or get all natural or organic treats(without by products soy,corn, or grains).

Read the ingredient list and make a decision.

Personally, I wouldn't feed *anything* with the Ol' Roy label. Just saying.

So long as its not made in China, I would not worry about an occasional crappy Ol Roy biscuit as a treat...treats can be junk food. One of the best training treats I ever used was that nasty soft moist dog food that comes in packets...total canine junk food but my friends super picky dog went nuts for them. So long as they are a very small part of a dogs diet they will probably be fine.

It's not only the "made in China" that matters, it is also where the ingredients for many products are sourced. Of course, that is virtually impossible to know. I do know that the owner of the store where I buy my dog food and most treats does research each manufacturer she deals with, and I can rely on her to tell me a lot about each company and each product.

A treat is a treat, not a major component of a dog's diet. I am fortunate in that my dogs are easily satisfied - I use a combination of Zuke's, Plato, quality kibble (not their normal diet), and Milk Bone Trail Mix in my treat pouch, but the majority of bits in there are the quality kibble. My dogs are as enthused about that as about anything else, which makes it simple for me.

Ok, let me ask this, if all you had reasonably close by was a Walmart and a grocery store to buy dog treats from, what commercial store bought treats would you feel is safe that is available at those places ?

(later on I am considering getting a "bake a bone" maker where you can make your own treats but I want to get something safe to use now in the meantime)

Ok, let me ask this, if all you had reasonably close by was a Walmart and a grocery store to buy dog treats from, what commercial store bought treats would you feel is safe that is available at those places ?

(later on I am considering getting a "bake a bone" maker where you can make your own treats but I want to get something safe to use now in the meantime)

I would recommend just reading labels. Look for treats that say "Made in USA" and also read the ingredient lists. Just this Christmas Eve I went to a local grocery store, looking for last-minute goodies for our dogs. To my surprise, I found two different treats that I'd never heard of, but whose ingredient lists were very basic and wholesome, and both were American-made. Best of all, the prices were reasonable. :)

Avoid all those "jerky" treats, and look for actual baked cookie type of treats. They won't be in the big, bargain size packages, but you'll feel better for doing a little judicious shopping. Good luck!

Respectfully submitted,

Gloria

To my surprise, I found two different treats that I'd never heard of, but whose ingredient lists were very basic and wholesome, and both were American-made. Best of all, the prices were reasonable. :)/>

Do tell the rest of us what they are - I'm always looking out for good stuff for the dogs!

Consider using human food. I am lucky that I get off cuts from a deli and I use that for training treats. There is also hot dogs and string cheese that both make easy to use treats. For homemade treats you don't need anything fancy, there are lots of ideas in these boards and googling healthy dog treat recipes will get you a ton of ideas. You don't need to be a great baker to make dog treats, dogs unlike humans don't mind if their treats are a little dense or over cooked :D

Thanks for all the input, I'll be asking about some specific concerns later when I have more time, but for now I was looking for a specific product I can trust from Walmart, any reason I should not get the following products -

Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6 Crunchies Dog Treats With Chicken, 10 oz

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rachael-Ray-Nutrish-Just-6-Crunchies-Dog-Treats-With-Chicken-10-oz-Dogs/19720745

Rachel Ray Nutrish Just 6 Soft & Chewy Bites Dog Treats with Real Chicken, 8 oz

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nutrish-Just-6-Soft-Chewy-Bites-Dog-Treats-with-Real-Chicken-8-oz-Dogs/19720755