BC Boards

First Clinic

ObeytheBC

It hit me that today is Friday and I will be attending my first clinic this weekend! My nerves have set in and I am starting to wonder if I did the right thing by taking a working spot when I have never attended a clinic before!

If any of you could share some of the general expectations, stories, or advice about clinics I would greatly appreciate it. I am going into this without knowing anything to expect! I understand that every clinic is different - including the number of people (working spots and audits) which might change how a clinic is run. But I would love to hear what anyone might have to say about them. Including specific clinics to look out for in the future and everyone's opinion on auditing vs. working spots.

First of all - you have nothing to be nervous about. There is NOTHING you or your dog can do that an experience clinician won't have already seen. ;)

Second - this is not a competition! You're not there to show them how awesome you and your dog are. You're there to show off your faults or training holes, so the clinician can teach you ways of working through them.

In other words, your whole reason for being there is to screw up and learn how to fix it. :)

I've been to several clinics over the years, and all of them have been good and fun. I'd say just keep and open mind, don't make excuses, be open and honest in the things you tell your clinician, and LISTEN. Listen not only to what s/he tells you, but also listen to what they say to other people in the clinic. It's going to be hard to absorb all you are told, so listen to what other people are being told. You can learn as much from watching others and listening to what is said about their dogs, as you can from your own sessions.

But also, be prepared to take in the things that make sense to you or feel like a good fit, and just nod and smile if there are a couple things that you may not feel are a good fit. When the clinic is over, you have the choice of what things you choose to keep and apply in your training, and what you may decide is not for you.

Finally - take notes. Bring a notebook and a couple pens, (because if you're like me, you'll lose one, lol!) and write things down. Lots and lots of writing. :)

And enjoy! Who are you going to see?

~ Gloria

Forget about school for a few days. ;)

Don't be embarrassed about any training or handling problem you might have. The other people at the clinic have either a) already had it before B) are also trying to fix it right now or c) will have that exact same issue at some point in the future.

It is better if your dog looks bad, because that way the clinician can know what you really need to work on.

If possible, get out on the field to watch and ask about other people's dogs. (See my second suggestion above for the reason!)

Have fun!

Coming too late to help with your questions, but wanted to say that if you can't afford the price of a working slot but can afford to audit, it's a great way to gain the knowledge of a good clinician. Sometimes it's even better than working your own dog because you can really pay attention to everyone else's problems and solutions without worrying about what you're going to do when you get out there.

So if you want to take a working spot in future clinic, by all means do so, but if you'd like to audit, you can gain as much or more that way because you can focus on *other* problems and how they might be solved.

J.

The weekend turned out to be a blast. I guess I was expecting a lot more structure (ie. classroom setting structure) but it turned out great. The clinic itself was a little small and I knew most of the people in attendance from trials, fun days, or at my instructor's place. It was really nice to watch everyone's dogs and discover at least 3 ways to approach the same problem - and see which ways worked for the individual dog.

I personally feel like I walked away from the clinic with a lot of information and a few great new techniques that were making a difference in my dog just between day one and day two of the clinic.

Julie, I completely agree with auditing - I am going to sign up for another clinic as an auditor this time rather than a working spot. If I took a working spot in every clinic, I think I would drain the bank account...

Gloria - filled about 3 pages of my notebook with diagrams and notes! And those extra pens/pencils were a great idea since the ink in 2 weren't working and a couple of other people forgot them as well! Plus, we were given handouts too!

Does anyone feel that there is a "must see" clinic or clinician out there? Who do you really like to see? I would like to know what you guys are looking for or at when you pick which clinic you go to.

Edit: I forgot to say, I attended the Robin French clinic in Virginia Beach.

:) One can never have too many pens.

As for clinicians, I think it's really such a personal choice, it's hard to say. When I go to a new clinician, I just have an open mind, I don't look for any particular thing. Everyone is apt to find certain instructors a better fit than others, but I think I've gotten something from everyone I've been to. (Though if I heard a clinician was particularly critical or heavy-handed, I would stay away from that person.)

That said, I have heard lots of good things about "top" clinicians Patrick Shannahan, Alasdair MacRae and Jack & Kathy Knox. I got a lot from Derek Scrimgeour when he was coming over here, too, but he hasn't been able to come to the U.S., the past couple years. Also, I've enjoyed Diane Deal, who is a protege of Patrick's.

There are lots out there to choose from! :)

~ Gloria

I agree with the comments you have received so far. I've been to several clinics and have enjoyed them all and learned something from each - Scott Glen, Aled Owen, Jack Knox, Pat Shannahan, and Bill Berhow. For me personally, if you asked me to pick my favorite, it would be Scott Glen. His style seems to suit my dog best. But again, each clinic has been a great resource and very enjoyable!

I think you make a good point Vicki--and maybe it's a vote for auditing first--there are many great clinicians out there, but it's likely that some will better suit you and your dog than others. How well you (the human) can relate to a particular clinician can also make difference. I also think that as you grow yourself, you might find that some clinicians who weren't suitable at the beginning are more suitable now (for example, I attended a Bobby Dalziel clinic when I was still pretty new to all this, and he was amazing, but I did not yet have the skill to replicate his methods at home; a couple of years later, when I was more skilled, I could have better implemented some of what he was doing in that early clinic).

I have heard a lot of great things about Aled Owen, so if he comes to the area, he would be one I would seriously consider attending.

Another thing to consider is training style. Different clinicians have different methods, and it could get very confusing for you and your dog if you go to a bunch of clinics and then try to apply all the different approaches to solving one problem. That's not to say that you shouldn't try different things, but rather that you need to be aware that when you're new to all this, you have the potential to misapply methods, and if you add the confusion of a bunch of different methods, you could create an unintended mess.

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom, but just to point out the downside to going to a bunch of clinics and then trying to keep it all straight in your head when you're home alone trying to get it to work with your dog.

The upside to clinics is that you can get a lot of hands on help all in one big dose. And usually you can see some very real progress in a very short period. And of course you can learn a lot by watching the other dogs who are also in the clinic and what approaches the clinician takes for their issues. And if you don't have easy access to a regular trainer/mentor, clinics can be a great way to get help with specific issues from folks from whom you might never be able to get regular instruction (because of distance, schedules, cost, etc.).

J.

I think you make a good point Vicki--and maybe it's a vote for auditing first--there are many great clinicians out there, but it's likely that some will better suit you and your dog than others. How well you (the human) can relate to a particular clinician can also make difference.

Thanks Julie! I should clarify that I also like Scott's training methods. ;)

I also think that as you grow yourself, you might find that some clinicians who weren't suitable at the beginning are more suitable now (for example, I attended a Bobby Dalziel clinic when I was still pretty new to all this, and he was amazing, but I did not yet have the skill to replicate his methods at home; a couple of years later, when I was more skilled, I could have better implemented some of what he was doing in that early clinic).

I had a opportunity to attend a Bobby Dalziel clinic a few years ago (when I was really new to all of this) and my trainer recommneded that I pass for the same reasons you pointed out. So, checking with others about their clinic experiences with a particular clinician is something I do before I try a new one.

I have heard a lot of great things about Aled Owen, so if he comes to the area, he would be one I would seriously consider attending.

Yes, I very much enjoyed Aled Owen. I was still pretty green when I went but he was kind and personable and very patient with someone new to stock work. Should the opportunity to go to a clinic of his come again, I most certainly will.

I feel that Bobby has a great deal to offer green handlers as long as they have some stock sense. Green handlers with no stock sense at all will not get as much out of the clinic, but I think that is true no matter who teaches it. I have been to several of Bobby's clinics and he has changed how I train and handle dogs, all for the better. I just wish I had gone to him a lot sooner!

I've heard great things about Aled Owen and plan to attend one of his clinics if my schedule will allow for it (there is a handler who hosts him once a year that lives in the next state).

I have also heard good things about Scott Glen and Tommy Wilson, but they are a bit far away for me.

Liz,

Perhaps I should clarify. I found myself unable to replicate Bobby D's long line driving training method when I was a newbie. It had *nothing* at all to do with my ability to read stock (I was raised with livestock so am quite adept at reading them) and *everything* to do with my ability to adjust my position relative to my dog in order to effectively implement the long line at a point where I was just learning to teach a dog to drive and my timing wasn't perfect. I certainly learned a great deal at the clinic I attended all those years ago, but I wasn't able to replicate all of it at home. Perhaps you're just a quicker study than I am, but that doesn't invalidate my original point about the ability of the newbie to implement the techniques of the clinician.

The point I was trying to make was that some clinicians will suit a particular person better than others, and some clinicians will be better for a person at different stages in their own growth as a trainer. Tommy Wilson is wonderful, but he rarely does clinics, and when he does, they're usually pretty specific, for example, judging or the international shed. This latter illustrates my point about where the person is in their own growth as a trainer: Auditing Tommy at an international shedding clinic could be very interesting and a great learning experience, but if you're still struggling to get around a novice course (or even if you're doing well in N/N or P/N), much of what he discusses (and what you do with your dog) requires a particular skill level (i.e., the ability to shed) and so wouldn't necessarily be something a newbie would consider for a working slot.

P.S. My post above wasn't meant specifically for Vicki, but also for the OP. I just think Vicki brought up some interesting points that I wanted to expand on.

J.

OK, I just read your post wrong then. It must be a difference in learning styles, because the long line was totally new to me. However, it made perfect sense and I "got it" almost immediately. I am still getting better at the method and don't consider myself anywhere near as skilled as Bobby, but I had instant success with it.

I'm sure that Boby is a great clinician! The point of my post was that I believe that I benefited from asking my regular trainer about his clinic before just attending. My regular trainer knew my capabilities and my dog's capabilities at that point in our training and I trusted him to provide me with a fair opinion of whether or not my dog and I would benefit from attending a particular clinic. (Because after all the price of clinics can add up!)

At the time this clinic was held I has zero stock sense - perhaps that is why he suggested I hold off on attending. Now after working at this for 3 years, I hepofully have a little better stock sense and would benefit from his clinic.

I guess the bottom line is, I think that most handlers will find a clinician or two that they feel they understand and learn from the best. The only way to figure that out is to audit clinics, participate in clinics, or ask other fellow handlers about their experiences in clinics. :)