BC Boards

Faye is broken

2 nights ago Faye broke her front leg. Both the ulna and the radius. She is still not home. She had surgery yesterday and hopefully will come home today. The techs told me she did great in surgery and all went well, I won't feel better till I get her home.

We really don't know how it happened. She is a lightening bolt when she runs. zips faster than lightening. For a while she was running over to the neighbor's back yard (easily connected and my fields are fences his are not) I had talked to the neighbor about yelling at her and sending her home. They kept telling me it wasn't a big deal as their dog is always over here and she never stops long enough for them to even say anything to her. Zips over and right back. But recently she had pretty much stopped doing that.

It was dark, the moon hadn't come up yet. So she took off and must of decided to make her circle. I didn't even see her take off. I was standing right on the deck. With in 5 seconds I hear Faye screaming, really, all out screaming. I can't see her to find her. So I'm running over there (100 yards maybe) and calling her, the whole time she is screaming but I now hear her moving. She made it to the edge of our yard saw me and sat down.

I carried her in the house laid her on the couch, you could see the leg was badly broken and just hanging there. She is such a sweetie that she just laid on her back while I held her leg together. DH got me supplies so I could splint the leg, got that done, called our vet and by a miracle it was his evening night so he was there. Told us to bring her right in.

Faye hates the car. but I held her in my lap with the window cracked and DH drove 2 very sad girls to the vet.

We finally got the legged splinted and her some pain meds and she gave the vet a few thumps of her tail.

I am so devastated. Faye was going this Sunday for a month of stock training while I am out of town for business. Now she doesn't get to go and I still have to go out of town on business. DH will have to do all the care himself.

I will post again after I get her home safely tucked away.

I walked over to the neighbors last night (turkeys followed their dog home) looked around and think she might have collided with a short big rock ledge around a tree garden, there is space between the big rocks and it looks like her leg got caught and then she ripped it up pulling it out.

Been a rough 2 days round here.

my friends bc had a similar accident. she was going on an outrun, and either didn't see or miscalculated a drainage ditch. got her leg caught between some big stones and broke it. she had to have steel plates in her leg to hold it together. the good news is she is fully recovered and as fast on sheep as ever. the bad news is 8 weeks or so of crate rest was hell for a young border collie. wish you both well.

Faye is home! Her leg looks sorta yucky but much better than I thought. the rod and pins are on the outside. They don't have her leg covered at all. Just the pins and rod are covered. They said she can do about anything and will be self limiting. They didn't even give her pain meds this morning as she wouldn't take them and they knew I was coming so they thought she'd take them for me. She is chipper, trying to be fast and crated. I will keep her confined and probably on a lead outside. She already jumped off the deck, instead of doing the 2 steps, then when I scolded her she jumped back up! So leash is it. But she's pottied, ate took her antibiotics and pain meds and is resting in her crate. Here's a picture of my sweet girl. Her ears are normally more prick but I guess she's not feeling to prickly at the moment.

fayesbroken.jpg

Picture could be better but we're just getting settled in.

Thanks for all the kind words and prayers. They are well appreciated!

So sorry to hear about Faye, but she looks like she came through surgery well. BCs have a very high pain tolerance. Now your DH will have to be super careful to make sure she doesn't do crazy things. It sounded like your vet said not to worry about her activities?? I guess I am surprised at that because BCs are NOT self-limiting.

Jovi

I agree Jovi to a point. Most of mine have been self limiting if it's small things. We've never gone though something this yucky and still be mobile or feeling so well. I had the LGD with her amputee rear leg but she was very self limiting cause she hurt so bad.

I can already see that Faye is going to need strong direction in her self limiting. She is snoozing away as I type. I think the day wore the poor girl out. I will have leashes all over for DH to take her outside and strict instructions on what she can and can't do.

Here is a picture of her leg up close. I hope i don't gross anyone out. It sorta makes me a bit sick to look at it to long. Doc said the swelling should start to subside in a day or 2.

fayesbrokenleg.jpg

the cuts on her leg were the abrasions from the incident