BC Boards

Frustration!

I am not a clicker trainer. Nor am I an all-positive trainer. I believe in correction. However, from what I'm reading, I probably wouldn't correct because I'm thinking the dog doesn't even understand what is expected.

I am going to say:

#1 - she's a puppy. I wouldn't expect focus at such a young age.

#2 - if you are allowed, I would consider a half-class. I was allowed to give my new dog a half of a class when he first started. It worked beautifully. By one half hour, he would lose focus (and he was older, but new to obedience and agility.) As he learned, he eventually "graduated" to doing the whole class. (p.s. at that time, he was doing 1/2 agility class; a half hour break; then 1/2 obedience. But you may not have the scheduling time for that.)

#3 - Do you teach your dog at home? All of my dogs are taught AT HOME. Going to a highly stimulating class such as agility one time a week would be pretty overwhelming for a young dog. No wonder she thinks it's playtime! But if you are practicing and working at home, the "learning" is easier because there are no distractions. Then when you attend class, the dog can transfer what she's learned at home to the new environment. You don't need expensive equipment. Home-made equipment can be easily made - even without a carpenter.

I am just wondering if you are expecting too much from her at this age. :)

Just wanted to add to my post above --

You are dealing with changing a behavior (and a pretty common one). Unlike a 'trick' (sit, shake, jump, etc.) which can be taught to a BC quite rapidly, dealing with a behavior takes patience and time (maybe months?)

Jovi

So, today I took Juno to a new trainer (also clicker) who helped me TREMENDOUSLY! It was not an agility class. We got Juno very worked up & the trainer showed me just what to do not only to avert that level of excitement, but to bring her back down if she was already there. She encouraged me to continue taking Juno to the agility class, even if only to work on impulse control and calming & forget about the rest of it.

I feel much more confident now, having specific tools at hand and knowing just when to use them. I'm still reading through the CU book (I couldn't find the puppy version in my area or online with reasonable shipping rates) and will start using the CU as well.

I think I had mentioned that I don't expect much from Juno and had joined the agility class for fun - at this point, my concern is her exuberance and crazy excitedness. If I can conquer that with her, I'll be happy, regardless of whether we continue in agility or not.