BC Boards

Deworming chickens?

MaryP

I have a hen that has had an abscess on the top of her head, above her right eye, for several months. I've drained it and [attempted] to disinfect it twice, and each time it just comes back. So, I called my vet to see if I could get some antibiotics for her. They wanted me to bring her in, which I did today.

The vet aspirated some of liquid from the bump, but also collected some fecal material to look at under a scope. This vet has *some* familiarity with poultry, but this is a bit outside of their normal patient load. She told me that my hen had a lot of "nasty stuff" in her fecal sample, and that she was very underweight, which I realized after I caught her and could easily feel her keel. I don't think my hen is in as bad of shape as my vet made her out to be, but she is definitely not thriving right now.

My vet gave us antibiotics and suggested that we worm her and our other hens. But, we are having trouble figuring out what to use to worm them. My fiance stopped at the feed store and picked up the only wormer that they had (Wazine; active ingredient - Piperazine), but we have no idea how to give it, or if we should. The directions' lowest dose is for 100 birds. We have 5.

So, does anyone else worm their birds, and if so, what do you use? Or, if you have any other thoughts about what I should be looking for with this hen, I'd appreciate the help. This is the first time my fiance or I have had any experience with chickens. So, we are total newbies.

I've used wazine before. I couldn't tell you if it worked. The chickens lived but we had to throw out eggs for a week. It was fed in the water and you give a certain amount per gallon of water. It was years ago so sorry I can't remember how much.