BC Boards

electronet

Liz P

Is electronet at all effective in the snow? I am trying to reclaim a 10 acre pasture from brush but can't put up permanent fencing. I wanted to put the goats in there but am worried about the coming winter. We had nearly 40 inches of snow last October. I am hoping we don't have a repeat of that weather this year!

no, if it is deep it grounds it.

I move stock to permanant fencing when it looks like snow. And the cattle I just close the barn gates. The snow is deep the stock won't want to gio very far anyway and will yard where the feed/water/shelter are.

I am more worried about them trying to go join my neighbor's livestock than wandering. I was looking into the cost of permanent fencing, and it just didn't make sense for a rental property. Instead I started investigating Premier's semi permanent electronet. Seems like a good option for me as long as we don't get a terribly snowy winter.

The net we like for winter is designated P/N. One strand is hot, the other is ground. We've been lucky not to have huge snowdrifts and it's kept it's charge. In the summer we use it with the other netting, and just connect both leads to the hot wire, then all the strands are hot. Good luck.

Debbie in WV

Doesn't Premier have fencing (not sure if it is electronet or some other kind) that retains the charge even when grounded by grass or snow? I am not good with understanding electrical stuff like that, but I do remember reading about an 'improved' electrical fence in the Premier catalog.

Of course, if the fence is mostly or totally buried by snow, whether or not it retains a charge is a moot point. :)

Jovi

I had e-mailed Premier and they actually said they do not recommend using their fence in the winter (in snowy conditions). :unsure: This was the fence that says right on their web page that can be used as a semi permanent fence for several years.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=135

http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=88

I find that the snow and ice drag the electronet down, and the it freezes while pulled down. The stays and posts get warped, and the fence is never as good. When the first snow falls, I put the electronet away until Spring. I use the standard fence.

Glenn

Oh well. I was hopeful I could use the farthest pasture through the winter, but with a fence in desperate need of repair, it doesn't look like that will happen. I guess I should hurry up and fix the fence in the other pasture first.