BC Boards

Bit the bullet... herding

One doesn't change the AKC by refraining from its events.

Revenue is revenue, Donald, and, I guarantee that cessation of income would change the AKC incontrovertibly. I'm speaking from an abundance of personal experience here.

So, without caring a whit who I offend, let's put it this way; If you care about the well being of dogs in our country, if you own a dog, if you love a dog, and you give so much as one, thin, dime, or an iota of support to the AKC for any reason, in any way, you are a moron.

In fact, if you don't advocate for dogs by speaking out against the AKC every chance you get, you are a moron.

Boy, we really have drifted off topic, haven't we? But any opportunity to disparage the AKC is a good opportunity to me.

Out of curiosity, Donald, would you please define "political struggle" in simple terms for me? Thank you. I'm very happy to wage war on another front.

Cheers all,

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those younger than myself don't remember who powerful the AKC was, We (the Border Collie community) were the only ones speaking publicly

I seem to remember the (verbatim) "Jack Russell Terrier" being recognized by the AKC around 1997. However, that 'breed' seems to have disappeared (from AKC), having been replaced by two different animals.

Just doing a quick web search, it appears the initial name change 'might' have happened (in the US) around 2003. No clue as to any political struggle behind it, since I threw in the (grooming) towel within two years of that first recognition, and in fact was not even aware of the name change until now.

Backing up a bit, though the unrecognized dogs couldn't compete at AKC sanctioned trials, some JRT people brought their dogs to an unsanctioned match that I attended (IIRC around '95 or '96).

That match was in Hedgesville, WV, and there were whisperings of dread in the air. The whisperings were coming, not from the JRT folks, but from the AKC Terrier folks whose terriers (mine included) were, comparatively speaking, pathetically inept. Those Fox Terriers just didn't have the heart that the JRT's had (not to mention the SFT's added encumbrance of size).

The Jack Russell Terrier Club of America focuses (mostly) on working terriers. I remember (before the common era) hearing some speaking out from that community. The JRTCA remains unaffiliated with the AKC, with their own trials and events.

So, there was at least one other dissident group that resisted the AKC, and whose members were speaking publicly.*

It is possible to live comfortably outside the AKC (I am pleased to report), but everyone has to make that decision for themselves.

*ETA: I do realize the Border Collie battle resulted in recognition two years earlier than the JRT, though

The journey to the trial field is it's own reward. For better or worse, many of the more brilliant things a dog will do, he/she will do in a work situation or on the training field when no one but you is around to see it.

my bold

I love this ^^