BC Boards

I have never posted here before, but have been lurking (and learning) for a while.

Leo is a Border Collie in my rescue that would excel as a working dog if someone was willing to put in the work.

He came to me from a city shelter and was very shut down and scared. Prior to the shelter he was a farm dog, tied up most of the time, and learned that people were very scary. He is quite afraid of raised voices, and threatening gestures.

I've had him a few months now and he has come a long way. He loves his people, and never forgets someone he's met. He is sweet and affectionate. And very goofy in the house. He is great with other dogs and is very respectful of cats. He is a good house dog- quiet, housetrained, crate trained, and just lays around.

Leo struggles with the pressures of people though, and has nipped at people on more than one occasion. It has always been motion or excitement based though, and a chicken dive in and retreat approach. Never has made full contact, but that's not to say it won't happen... He is great to meet people one on one, but definitely needs work on impulse control and social skills.

What Leo loves the most is to work. He's been on Sheep a fair amount since I've had him. He stayed with my trainer for a few weeks, and since then I've been working him on my own. He is very keen, has a strong eye and according to Louanne (one of my trainers) has a lot of natural talent. When he is working he looks and acts as though he is the most carefree dog in the world. The pressure of a person, stock stick, or the stock themselves don't bug him in the least...

He is a handsome tri colored dog, big bone, and substance. He is very stylish when he works.

I'd like to see him go to a home that will work him, but also as a pet. He would not fair well chained up all the time, and I think the behaviour problems would only get worse. He needs a home with someone who understands the breed, and will keep him (and the people around him) safe. Leo is not good with children.

Leo is located in Lethbridge, Alberta and is available through Windy City Canine Rescue.

I've blogged about him a few times on my own private blog- here are some links for those interested!

http://manymuddypaws.blogspot.ca/search?q=Leo

Please feel free to spread the word. I think he'd make a great starter dog for someone just starting out in the sport of herding. If I didn't have so many dogs my own, and I needed another project dog I'd keep him myself. lol

422962_10151049377640754_1403876199_n.jpg

Welcome! And thank you for taking the care and time to give Leo a chance at a good and fulfilling life.

Have you put feelers out to anyone like Scott and Jenny Glen (Alberta), or Wendy Schmaltz (Saskatchewan), who might know of someone looking for a farm dog? There is an Alberta Stockdog Association, which might be another resource to check out.

I know it's far but Ontario has an active Border Collie rescue organization. Viki Kidd is located in Ontario and is also an active handler/trainer. She might know of someone looking for a farm dog.

I'm assuming Louanne Twa is your trainer and, if so, she can probably give you contact information if you want some for these handlers.

Very best wishes in finding him a home!

Hi Sue,

I also train with Jenny so she knows about him. But thank you!!!

The more the word is spread about him the more likely he will find a good home.

For the right home Leo could be shipped- but it would have to be the right kind of home!

-Amanda

Welcome! And thank you for taking the care and time to give Leo a chance at a good and fulfilling life.

Have you put feelers out to anyone like Scott and Jenny Glen (Alberta), or Wendy Schmaltz (Saskatchewan), who might know of someone looking for a farm dog? There is an Alberta Stockdog Association, which might be another resource to check out.

I know it's far but Ontario has an active Border Collie rescue organization. Viki Kidd is located in Ontario and is also an active handler/trainer. She might know of someone looking for a farm dog.

I'm assuming Louanne Twa is your trainer and, if so, she can probably give you contact information if you want some for these handlers.

Very best wishes in finding him a home!