BC Boards

Agility Equipment Question

I am thinking of making a few agility things this weekend. I'm probably going to start with weaves, a single pvc jump, and one other thing; not sure yet. I have seen some people recommend an agility ladder. Should I also do one of these to help build that re-end awareness that is needed for the weaves? Or will the weaves be able to help him with this alone?

Thanks! :)

I am not sure, but I do not think that weaving, by itself, will build rear-end awareness. A ladder is fine, but there are also other exercises that will help: backing up, backing up stairs, putting the rear feet on or in an object - to name a few. I hope that other board members chime in with additional rear-end awareness exercises so I can learn too.

Jovi

I am thinking of making a few agility things this weekend. I'm probably going to start with weaves, a single pvc jump, and one other thing; not sure yet. I have seen some people recommend an agility ladder. Should I also do one of these to help build that re-end awareness that is needed for the weaves? Or will the weaves be able to help him with this alone?

Thanks! :)

I always start rear end awareness with a ladder. I actually make one out of PVC, but I do end up dismantling it to use the pieces for parts of other things once I'm finished with it.

You can get a pretty good look at it here.

After the dog masters the ladder, I move to pivot work.

I have used a segment of an old wooden extension ladder. Worked well, and it was tapered, so they learned on the wide end, tapering to the narrow end.

Kristine - I just LOVE that spoon!!! I have never seen that, and I am so taken by it, I am now imagining what I can do with peanut butter on a wooden spoon!! Thanks! :D

Kristin - I just LOVE that spoon!!! I have never seen that, and I am so taken by it, I am now imagining what I can do with peanut butter on a wooden spoon!! Thanks! :D

Tessa went through a stage where the best way to get her to do pretty much anything was with peanut butter on a spoon! I think that video links to a couple others of mine where I was using the spoon with her. It was a very short stage, but it was also very fun because she was just starting to try a whole bunch of new and different things.

It did the job nicely and I haven't used in quite some time. Once she learned what was desired, she became very impatient with the spoon in her face!! It's a great way to give the dog the opportunity to feel what a particular behavior/exercise is like before trying it out on his or her own.

Enjoy!!