BC Boards

The Time Has Come!

Well, folks, the day we've been waiting for alllllll summer long is finally approaching! On Sunday we're making a 2-hr car trip to see Mary Thompson to start Juno on sheep.

Holy crap, I cannot wait! I feel like a kid waiting for Santa on Christmas Eve - that is, incredibly excited, impatient, and full of anticipation!

I don't expect anything grand for such a young 'un, and she and I both being first-timers. But dang, this day has been a long time coming and I am so happy that we're starting!

My young dog's first exposure to sheep was at about 6 months. He was more interested in the dog holding the sheep. At about 10 months, the lightbulb went on. He was formally started at 14 months, and at 3 yrs is still maturing.

Pups can be exposed to sheep at any age, provided a safe environment, safe sheep, and a knowledgeable handler. Whether a pup can handle the pressure of actual training will vary. My Hoot wasn't mentally ready for anything besides basic redirecting (no verbal commands) until he was almost a year old, but he was very slow to mature in all ways.

Good luck, have fun, and remember that low/no interest now doesn't necessarily mean your dog won't ever show interest. (a dog running local trials here was passed on by a top handler for no interest. Dog turned on at 3 yrs old!)

There's no "magic" age. I had one who was training at 4 months old and trialed for the first time at around 10 months old. I've had others who were pretty awful until about 18 months old. My youngster now just turned a year old. I started letting her go to sheep around 6 months, recognizing that I wasn't likely to be able to put any training pressure on her. I do take her out and train her some now, but there are still some issues that I think might resolve with maturity, so I'm taking my time.

I think it's fine to introduce them young, for short sessions in a well-controlled environment as Ben describes. Most pups that young won't be ready for any real training pressure, so really the whole reason to take them to sheep at that age and for subsequent times is to assess when they seem to be ready to start training and what natural abilities they have and where they might need work when you do finally start formal training. That is, you don't go at 6 months, or 10 months, or a year thinking "I'm going to start training now." You put your pup on sheep at those ages (and any time in between) so you can assess where the youngster is mentally so you can decide when to really start training.

The catch with exposing them young is making sure you don't inadvertently let any bad habits start either. And there's no harm in putting a pup up for a while.....

J.

I've emailed with Mary Thompson back and forth, and the idea is that we'll give Juno the exposure to sheep and see how she goes, and then Mary will teach me how to be a decent handler using her own dogs to show me the ropes.

Juno has been waiting to go for a couple of months. It is all I can do to keep her away from my own sheep& goats - and I keep her away because I don't know what I'm doing; I don't want any bad habits forming. But she has demonstrated a few times that she has great instinct, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens on Sunday! :D