BC Boards

Training videos for Herding

Does anyone know of a source for training vidoes? I didn't see a source on this thread. Sit, stay, come here, lie down, get in the damn bath tub before I have to come over there and get you, get the ball, get the brush, go to sleep, and go find mommy were easy commands. I'd like to get something on 'uniform' commands for herding activities. I don't have any sheep, but would still like to teach them the basics.

You actually do need stock of some sort to teach your dog and yourself how to control the stock. The exceptions would include any commands which are not specific to herding (That'll Do, Here, Lie Down, Stand). Other wise, I'm afraid it's impossible to teach the flanks, the walk up, Get Out, Look Back, or more important, activities which require no commands at all like balance, pace, close-in comfort etc.

Hope that helps.

The rest of you should be more patient or we'll lose all our spectators.

John

"That'll Do" functionally calls your dog off the sheep and back to your feet. "Here" means in a direct line even if it means coming through the sheep whereas "That'll Do" would mean the dog was finished and would come around the sheep. It has more of the "Finished what we are doing" connotation.

The way to teach it however, is more like the obedience "Come" at the beginning. Later, the dog will realize the rest of it's meaning.

John

For me it's a "come" with a tangible sense of finality. It makes more sense with stock because then it is a "come" that also means your dog is to break contact with the stock. The "here" is like a "come" but means "to my feet in a straight line but you are still working" Two different meanings.

If I am walking through my corral to the hay barn and my young dog starts inching towards the sheep, I tell him "That'll Do". If I want my dog to come towards me before asking him to take a flank while teaching the drive, I'll tell him "Here".

I'm not sure if that makes sense.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I use "that'll do" to mean, "Stop whatever you are doing, now." It could be for excessive barking. It could mean I want you to stop tugging the leash now, or it could mean this herding session or training session is over and the dog is allowed to take it's focus off the sheep or off of me if we are working obedience or agility. I'll say - "That'll do - here." to get the dog to leave the sheep and come to me.